Remove this ad

Lead

Oct 15 12 8:54 PM

Tags : :

Just thought I'd ask what people felt about the planned vote for Socttish independence, which was agreed by the SNP and the David Cameron today?

I know Mark & Nathan are Scots and would be interested to know if you like the idea, and if you think the majority of Scotland will go with it?
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

TheRoonBa

#2 [url]

Oct 16 12 11:52 PM

Re: Scottish independence

SE-Stubbs wrote:
Just thought I'd ask what people felt about the planned vote for Socttish independence, which was agreed by the SNP and the David Cameron today?

I know Mark & Nathan are Scots and would be interested to know if you like the idea, and if you think the majority of Scotland will go with it?

Yes - we'll never know what it will be like unless we try. It's obvious the UK government will try to keep Scotland (60 billion pounds of oil money in the last decade would have been sorely missed in the UK economy and would have completely transformed the Scottish economy), and the lies and spin has been going on since it was announced there was going to be a referendum.

Personally, I don't like having to write "British" on any official document, and if ever I fill in an ethnic origin questionnaire, I never tick the "white British" box - I always tick "white other". As far as I'm concerned, we're being ruled by a foreign country and the sooner we get independence the better - I couldn't care less if we have to pay more taxes or work for reduced wages. It's long overdue. We've been putting much more into the UK economy than we've been getting back (though popular opinion would have you believe otherwise).

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Oct 17 12 10:57 AM

All very interesting.

And in both of your opinions do you feel it would be beneficial? I strongly feel Scotland should have it's independence. I met some Scots (from Dundee) in London not long ago and had this conversation, however they were strongly against moving from the UK. They had very vociferous opinions on the matter which intrigued me. When I asked if they feel Scottish, support Scotland etc they said 'of course, massively'. This confused me somewhat.

Do you think that, should Scotland gain independence, Wales will follow?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#4 [url]

Oct 17 12 11:28 AM

Full independence would surely be beneficial in some ways and detrimental in others. I'm not an economist so I can only speculate. But I'm sure a lot of things wouldn't change much in most people's lives.

One issue that concerns me about it is that the population of the UK is quite mixed - there are around a million Scots living in England, and a relatively large (compared to population of Scotland itself) diaspora of expats or emigrants in the former colonies mainly. And I think about half a million English living in Scotland.

I presume the referendum vote will be open to all people registered to vote in Scottish constituencies, even if they are not Scottish people. And not open to people (such as myself) who live in England but are Scottish in all other senses (birth, parentage, grandparentage, etc). This is fair and reasonable. But if Scotland became independent, who gets citizenship?

The nationalist party in Wales is not as strong as in Scotland - certainly in terms of government positions.

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Oct 17 12 2:39 PM

nfm24 wrote:
Full independence would surely be beneficial in some ways and detrimental in others. I'm not an economist so I can only speculate. But I'm sure a lot of things wouldn't change much in most people's lives.

It will be bad for the pound if they stop using it as their reserve currency, and good for the euro if they start using that. the main benefit of becoming independent is in theory less economic manipulation by england and more ability to decide their own fate, but perhaps the manipulation will remain or just be redirected elsewhere depending on new policies that arise. over all it would be good for Scotland's trade barring some global disaster.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#6 [url]

Oct 17 12 3:57 PM

SE-Stubbs wrote:
All very interesting.

And in both of your opinions do you feel it would be beneficial? I strongly feel Scotland should have it's independence. I met some Scots (from Dundee) in London not long ago and had this conversation, however they were strongly against moving from the UK. They had very vociferous opinions on the matter which intrigued me. When I asked if they feel Scottish, support Scotland etc they said 'of course, massively'. This confused me somewhat.

Do you think that, should Scotland gain independence, Wales will follow?

Many people have been taken in by the "We fought 2 wars together" nonsense. I have very strong views against this opinion. Anybody in their right mind would have fought Hitler. It was not out of any allegiance to England that we felt the need to fight - it was a common response from many of the world's countries - we cannot let this madman control us. So, in that respect, I don't think Scotland and England should be together for this reason - otherwise, we might as well join with France and USA and all the other countries who were on our side in the war.

A lot of people are also afraid that they will be worse off economically. They feel Scottish, but they like to feel Scottish in the safety of knowing there is the UK if anything goes wrong. In my opinion, this amounts to regional rather than national sentiment. These people do not believe Scotland is a country, but simply a region of the UK. They mistake the fact we share a language as meaning we are somehow destined to be together. This conveniently forgets the fact that we only speak English because we were pretty much made to.

The UK is a slow, ongoing erosion of Scottish national identity. It's slowness is what makes it undetectable for the majority of people who do not believe Scotland needs independence. The original decision to make us part of the UK was signed by a bunch of traitors who received land and money from the English. It was certainly not the will of the people in Scotland. Therefore, in my opinion, it is largely an illegal Union.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help