Remove this ad

Lead

Oct 25 12 1:07 AM

Tags : :

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/1200883/u.s.-to-host,-participate-in-2016-copa-america?cc=5739#

U.S. to hold a 16-team tournament in 2016 with the 10 CONMEBOL nations, the U.S. & Mexico + 4 top teams from the 2015 Gold Cup.

Interesting. Not sure if it'll be a one-off or a new format for the two continents. 24 teams would perhaps work better from CONCACAF's view.
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Oct 25 12 1:21 AM

Re: 2016 CONCACAF-CONMEBOL COPA America

SE-Stubbs wrote:
Interesting. Not sure if it'll be a one-off or a new format for the two continents. 24 teams would perhaps work better from CONCACAF's view.

14 CONCACAF teams would rather thin out the quality. 16 seems a reasonable balance.

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Oct 25 12 8:59 AM

Re: 2016 CONCACAF-CONMEBOL COPA America

SE-Stubbs wrote:
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/1200883/u.s.-to-host,-participate-in-2016-copa-america?cc=5739#

U.S. to hold a 16-team tournament in 2016 with the 10 CONMEBOL nations, the U.S. & Mexico + 4 top teams from the 2015 Gold Cup.

It says in the article "special" Copa América. A one-off tournament.

www.soccer-db.info

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Oct 25 12 1:51 PM

Joint tournament is interesting idea. More international football is welcome. The problem is, there are already too many games played in South America, and I don't think the FA's will send there best teams. Maybe only local players, or U-23 or something. And no matter how much I'll like one big tournament for both continents, 16 or 24 teams, there is really no point. We see how Mexico struggles at Copas.... South American countries are way too strong for CONCACAF teams. Even Venezuela now.

CONCACAF should focus on creating one "real" continental championship. 16 teams, 4 groups. Like every other continent, except Oceania. And CONCACAF has enough FA's to make 16 teams, no guests tournament.

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Oct 25 12 2:53 PM

Football813 wrote:
Maybe only local players, or U-23 or something

It won't be a surprise teams that will participate at the 2016 Olympics will send their Olympic Team as preparation for the Olympics.

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Oct 25 12 4:32 PM

the only good solution would be a tournament every 4 years with 16 teams with qualifiyng matches for every team, like in Europe and Africa.... it is possible all 10 Conmebol teams qualify, but it would help the development of CONCACAF teams in the future...
it is not interesting to see the same teams always play the same opponents as it is the case in both confederations for the moment...
The only difference with UEFA is that there will be more minnows in America then in Europe....
So I hope to see this in the future but I do not expect it in this century...

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Oct 25 12 5:59 PM

I don't think CONMEBOL would want qualifiers. The World Cup qualifiers in the current format have been very successful in giving all South American countries continuous competitive matches. In the years before there were fewer matches and far between.

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Oct 25 12 6:39 PM

pieter wrote:
the only good solution would be a tournament every 4 years with 16 teams with qualifiyng matches for every team, like in Europe and Africa.... it is possible all 10 Conmebol teams qualify, but it would help the development of CONCACAF teams in the future...
it is not interesting to see the same teams always play the same opponents as it is the case in both confederations for the moment...
The only difference with UEFA is that there will be more minnows in America then in Europe....
So I hope to see this in the future but I do not expect it in this century...

Why not? For me South American zone is the most interesting. All 10 teams are very strong, you never know who would make it. The most interesting and competitive and difficult qualifier. Copa America with Mexico and USA is pretty intense and interesting as well. And North American teams are way too weak for South American. And I doubt it that Brazil and Uruguay are interested in developing North American football.

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Oct 25 12 7:02 PM

Do not agree: in South America Brasil and Argentina do not have a real chance of ever being eliminated in this format....
But I agree Conmebol is not interested in CONCACAF, only in commercial gain in Mexico and USA, it is all about money (as always)
South American WC qualifiers with two groups of 5 teams would be interesting too and give more chance of a surprise result

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Oct 26 12 6:22 PM

According to CONCACAF all is still in a negotiation phase and nothing is definitive yet. See http://www.concacaf.com/page/ConfederationDetail/0,,12813~2960429,00.html

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

May 2 14 7:19 PM

Confirmed yesterday by CONCACAF, see http://www.concacaf.com/article/concacaf-and-conmebol-announce-agreement-to-bring-copa-america-2016-to-the-united-states

16 teams will participate: all 10 CONMEBOL members, the United States (host), Mexico, CFU champion 2014 and UNCAF champion 2014. The four CONCACAF teams advancing furthest in the 2015 CONCACAF Gold Cup will play-off for the two remaining spots.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#11 [url]

May 2 14 7:54 PM

Sensini wrote:
The four CONCACAF teams advancing furthest in the 2015 CONCACAF Gold Cup will play-off for the two remaining spots.
Presumably after first accounting for the four teams which would have already qualified from CONCACAF  (USA, Mexico, CFU and UNCAF winners), if they should coincide.   It will be interesting if one of them is Guadeloupe.

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

May 2 14 9:23 PM

"The final two CONCACAF teams to earn a ticket to the Centennial Cup America 2016 will be determined by a four-team playoff. The four national teams advancing furthest in the 2015 edition of the CONCACAF Gold Cup that are not the ones already qualified to the Centennial Cup America via the above mentioned criteria (Mexico, the United States, CFU winner and UNCAF winner), will dispute playoff matches to determine the final two CONCACAF qualifiers to the Centennial America Cup."

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

May 2 14 10:47 PM

So suppose in the Gold Cup quarterfinals there are 8 teams including USA, Mexico, and the UNCAF winner, and all three of those also advance to the semis (hardly unlikely). How do they decide which 4 of the other 5 teams "advanced furthest" ?

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#15 [url]

May 3 14 11:42 AM

They could hold a few play-off matches. The 4th team in the semis (besides Mexico/USA/UNCAF winner) takes one of the places, the other 4 teams play-off for the remaining 3 places (only 3 extra matches would be necessary, using a knockout format). 3 additional matches would hardly be difficult to fit into the schedule.  They could either be fitted into the actual Gold Cup (on the same days as the semi-finals and final) or could be part of a separate extra qualification tournament at a later date.  It makes sense that the teams should play each other for the right to play in the competition rather than judge them based on results against different teams.

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

May 3 14 11:45 AM

If USA, Mexico and the CFU and UNCAF champions either all 4 reach the quarter finals, or all 4 don't reach the semis, things are quite straightforward.

Else I think things will be decided by standings in the group stage for teams eliminated in the same round. Other methods could be extra play-off macthe(s) or fair play. FIFA rankings cannot be used because non-FIFA teams like Guadeloupe, Martinique, French Guiana or Bonaire (not very likely...) could be involved.

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

May 3 14 6:55 PM

So at best, it's a badly worded and imprecise format announcement.
Placing the teams based on group results is not the same thing as "advanced furthest". Easiest solution would be a 5th and possibly 7th place playoff, but it seems ridiculous.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#19 [url]

May 5 14 9:36 AM

I'm intrigued by the prospect of a Caribbean lesser light playing a South American team. So, hopefully, it's not Jamaica, Trinidad & Tobago, Cuba and Haiti that qualify. I believe Guadeloupe and Martinique have both played Paraguay before, but a match such as St. Vincent v Argentina might be interesting.

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

Oct 14 15 6:21 PM

any idea when the last qualifiers will be played?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help