Remove this ad

Lead

Nov 26 12 5:05 AM

Tags : :

Hello,

I am happy to report that the Cascadia region of North America is taking the first steps to assemble our FA and team.

We are currently planning our first general meeting for January and may possibly have an observer at the February NF-Board general meeting in Munich.

We are interested in hearing from anyone who may help assist us in the steps which will need to take place prior to and during the application process to the NF-Board.

We are especially interested in hearing from any other FA's in the Americas which have successfully become member FA's of the NF-Board.

We also have reached out to CSANF in South America as our acting secretary is fluent in Spanish.

Cascadia is one region in North America where football is very popular and league matches this season drew on average 43,000 with nearly 70,000 for games between rival Cascadian clubs.

Beyond club rivalry there is a common bond between the fans of clubs in Cascadia that we are all part of something special in this part of the world and as such Cascadia flags and tifo is present at all games here.

Cascadia is also a region where neither the US nor Canadian mens national teams tend to play despite massive support for the sport on the club level.

Even before the team officially exists the shirts have become popular and can be seen at club matches:

Also Cascadia flags began replacing American and Canadian flags on club shirts since 2011:

This has only helped fuel the Cascadia identity as we are an isolated bio-region with our own sporting culture.

There is more about us in this article:
http://www.cascadianow.org/towards-a-cascadia-soccer-federation-and-the-2016-viva-world-cup/

And you can follow us on Facebook here:
http://www.facebook.com/CascadiaFootball

And on Twitter here:
http://www.twitter.com/cascadiasoccer

If you have any questions you can leave them here or there and if you have any advice for us please leave that here as well.

Cascadia Association Football Federation - cascadiafootball@gmail.com

FA CASCADIA, Est. 2012
Contact for further info: cascadiafootball@gmail.com
About Cascadia: http://www.cascadianow.org/about-cascadia/

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Feb 27 13 3:07 AM

We are very happy to have been accepted as a new member of the N.F.-Board pending the Executive Meeting in 3 months. If you are still curious about what Cascadia is then please watch this short film for an introduction to Cascadia identity, bioregionalism and what it means to be Cascadian:�http://vimeo.com/50669674

Also these documents were presented along with our N.F.-Board application documents.

Our Flag, Our Region -�http://goo.gl/obZDQ

History of Cascadia - http://goo.gl/GsCjh

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Feb 27 13 4:31 PM

TheRoonBa wrote:
Just out of interest, do many Cascadians support Canada and USA when they play?

Well the best way to answer this is to say some do, some do not. There is a whole spectrum in between. The CSA and USSF don't do themselves any favors in this region since the Canadian National Team and the US National Team men almost never play here. And in the rare times that they do play here they bring B or even C squads.

It has baffled many of the journalists who cover football here because the support for clubs here is 2nd to none in English speaking North America.�

There have been many excuses offered by the CSA and USSF.�

Among them is the length of travel for European based players. This however rings hollow because Los Angeles is just as far from Europe as Seattle or Portland and the US team plays in Los Angeles all the time. Another has to do with artificial pitches (used due to lack of sunlight and excessive rain in this part of the world) �but that too rings hollow when they regularly play in stadiums in Boston and New Jersey which have artificial pitches. And the artificial pitches here are higher quality than those in use in Boston or New Jersey. They're the top FIFA rated artificial pitches and identical to the ones in Russia which have hosted UEFA Champions League games.�

Columbus, Ohio and Kansas City, Kansas are being highly touted as defacto home basis for the US National Team men and the Canadian equivalent seems to be in love with Toronto.

All of this has led to resentment from some quarters and calls for a Cascadia national team:

Finally there is the "club over country"mentality which is strongest in Cascadia than anywhere else in North America. It frightens the CSA and USSF. One sports writer actually said he thought we'd boo the US men's national team and USSF president Gulati - which is wrong and outrageous. That does however illustrate how we are perceived in Soccer House (A huge multi-million dollar mansion in Chicago which serves as the headquarters of the USSF) and in the Victorian era building in Ottawa which serves as the headquarters of the CSA.

People placing Cascadia flags on their club shirts where the USA or Canada flag might be perceived differently outside of Cascadia. While some have swore they would never buy merchandise for the US or Canadian national teams until they play here, that is an extreme position. For most of us it is just us being proud of our region - we're not really anti-USA or anti-Canada but rather we are pro-Cascadia.�

Cascadia autonomy is an idea which does not ask for permission to exist from the traditional, but distant, power structures in Washington DC, Ottawa or Chicago. It is as strong and free standing as the Douglas Fir Tree on our flag. It has grown from good roots and it breathes life into a body politic which at times is cynical and self serving rather than responsive and responsible. That's what that "Cascadia State of Mind" banner atop the page means essentially. We are already a nation - in our community and in our mind.

People have even gone so far as to create Cascadia national teams for the FIFA video game:

So I hope that is a good answer. The short version is: Cascadians do support the US and Canada national teams in so much as USSF and the CSA support Cascadia. Cascadia supports Cascadia regardless.

Last Edited By: Cascadia Feb 27 13 4:41 PM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Feb 27 13 7:35 PM

nfm24 wrote:
I may be visiting Seattle in October for a conference, are there going to be any Cascadia matches around that time?

Maybe. If there is then it will likely be vs Quebec but things are very early still. There is a Cascadia Cup match on October 9 in Seattle vs Vancouver. If you are going let us know, we'll buy you your beverage of choice. We strongly suggest a good Cascadian ale of  which there are many. smiley: smile

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Feb 27 13 8:21 PM

Thanks. My conference is Sep 29 - Oct 3, and I've yet to decide if or how I'm going to extend the visit into a longer trip, if indeed I'm going at all.

I guess after Quebec, the next nearest non-FIFA teams would be Caribbean islands, or Greenland - perhaps you could arrange a tour to Europe stopping off at Greenland on the way over, then Caribbean on the way back... ;-)

Though I suppose, a lot of long-haul travel does run against the environmentally friendly aspect of Cascadia.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#7 [url]

Feb 27 13 9:44 PM

It's an interesting concept.  In my opinion, it has more merit than trying to resurrect ancient kingdoms and representing disused platforms in the middle of the sea (à la Sealand).

My only 'concern' would be that it's just a regional sense of identity, not national.  I mean, people in the "South" of the United States have shared values and culture, as do those of the "Mid-West" and Canada's far north, for example.  Within Europe, there are 'Alpine' cultures that cross national borders, and 'Mediterranean' ones too (with their own lifestyles, culture, sporting traditions, etc).  One could even go as far as saying sub-Saharan Africa has a certain "Pan African" culture.  

As far as I can see, there are many bioregions within North America:

I'm not so sure they all feel particularly worthy of nationhood or any more proud of where they come from than someone who is, say, a proud Texan, Californian, or British Columbian.

This is not a criticism - perhaps we should all be spending more time thinking about 'place' rather than 'nation', before we have no world to think about at all.

But it raises the question again of what kind of 'entity' the NF Board is willing to accept.  It was originally set up to be an organisation that catered for peoples/ethnic groups - a bit like UNPO - but it's debatable whether a Cascadian ethnic group or people actually exists.  It's more like a movement.  National team organisations are for national teams, club organisations are for clubs, and there are already other organisations for like-minded people in different regions (for example the Continental Bioregional Congress). 

I think Cascadia would be best served playing against other bioregions in North America rather than joining the NF Board.  One thing is for sure - it will cost a fortune for Cascadians to get to any tournament that the NF Board organises, as most of their members are in Europe and the NF Board have literally no money at all.  If the Kurdistan government hadn't paid for the last VIVA World Cup, there wouldn't have been one.  I wouldn't be too surprised if the acceptance of Cascadia had something to do with thinking that Canadians and Americans have money that they could bring to the NF Board.  I'm not saying that is reality - just that having seen the NF Board's lack of professionalism in the past, it wouldn't surprise me.

Again, I have absolutely nothing against the cause of Cascadia - quite the opposite. But I'm just not sure the NF Board is the best organisation to join.  Cascadia runs the risk of running out of money from flying to Europe regularly, or becoming another of the NF Board's 'empty' members who is a member in name only and never plays any matches or even has any contact with the NF Board.

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Feb 27 13 9:45 PM

nfm24 wrote:
Thanks. My conference is Sep 29 - Oct 3, and I've yet to decide if or how I'm going to extend the visit into a longer trip, if indeed I'm going at all. 

I guess after Quebec, the next nearest non-FIFA teams would be Caribbean islands, or Greenland - perhaps you could arrange a tour to Europe stopping off at Greenland on the way over, then Caribbean on the way back... ;-)

Though I suppose, a lot of long-haul travel does run against the environmentally friendly aspect of Cascadia.

Yes. Just a couple hours ago I got a call from Quebec FA President Yannick Saint-Germain and we discussed the founding of a North American and Arctic confederation which we'd hope to include Greenland. Also there is an FA forming in New Brunswick which may join it in the future and we were contacted by some people who were inspired by us in neighboring Rupert's Land (in the interior of Canada). We've offered to help them if they do want to form an FA and team.  As it stands right now Quebec is our nearest neighbor and we've agreed in principle to play a series home and away ever year with them. If Ruperts Land forms an FA they will be practically right next door to us. Cascadia is not against long-haul travel for a good purpose, which this would be.  An island hoping tour of the Caribbean in the middle of winter would be glorious but costly. It may happen though. A tour of Europe will almost certainly happen at some point. Quebec is a lot closer to that than we are at the moment but things have moved fast and they could again with proper support. 

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Feb 27 13 10:16 PM

TheRoonBa wrote:
It's an interesting concept.  In my opinion, it has more merit than trying to resurrect ancient kingdoms and representing disused platforms in the middle of the sea (à la Sealand).

My only 'concern' would be that it's just a regional sense of identity, not national.  I mean, people in the "South" of the United States have shared values and culture, as do those of the "Mid-West" and Canada's far north, for example.  Within Europe, there are 'Alpine' cultures that cross national borders, and 'Mediterranean' ones too (with their own lifestyles, culture, sporting traditions, etc).  One could even go as far as saying sub-Saharan Africa has a certain "Pan African" culture.  

Good point however perhaps the concept of what is national and what is regional is what needs to be defined. Good luck doing that as one can always find examples which defy definition. 

In the case of Cascadia it exhibits many aspects of national identity beyond just regionalism.  Peoples were nations before someone arbitrarily put down some lines on a map. In Cascadia the indigenous people of the region know that all too well. Many here are inter-mixed and aspects of the indigenous language of Chinook influence our speech patterns today.  A nation is an identity more than it being a political boundary - when those boundaries do not serve the nation then they should be redrawn and that's what has been going on for several decades in Cascadia as various cross-border organizations and publications have formed such as the Cascadia Mayors Council, CascadiaNow, CascadiaMatters, Cascadia Community College, Cascadia Weekly and the Cascadia Constitutional Convention.  The list could go on and on... Suffice to say if the US and Canada ever broke apart ala Soviet Union, Cascadia would be one of the first regions to be self sufficient, with a clear national identity.

As far as I can see, there are many bioregions within North America:

I'm not so sure they all feel particularly worthy of nationhood or any more proud of where they come from than someone who is, say, a proud Texan, Californian, or British Columbian.

Cascadia is a bioregion yes, but as I said it is more than that both historically and today. Not many bio regions make it into Time Magazine as an aspiring nation:

As you can see Time Magazine lists us among Padania, Western Sahara, Quebec, Kurdistan, Basque Country and Tibet. So how can you suggest we should not have a national team or be an N.F.-Board member FA?

This is not a criticism - perhaps we should all be spending more time thinking about 'place' rather than 'nation', before we have no world to think about at all.

But it raises the question again of what kind of 'entity' the NF Board is willing to accept.  It was originally set up to be an organisation that catered for peoples/ethnic groups - a bit like UNPO - but it's debatable whether a Cascadian ethnic group or people actually exists. 
You must not be familiar with the area. Cascadian people existed before either the United States or Canada absorbed them. As I said, ask an indigenous Cascadian about the US or Canadian border and whether they make sense as opposed to the area as a bioregion and they'll say not really. Their nation was absorbed. Our region was once a nation both before colonization and briefly for a period of time after it. No we're not an ethnic group. But then again neither is the US, or Canada, or Scotland for that matter.

It's more like a movement.  National team organisations are for national teams, club organisations are for clubs, and there are already other organisations for like-minded people in different regions (for example the Continental Bioregional Congress). 

You seem to be very concerned with putting things in boxes and also seem to be coming to conclusions about whether Cascadia constitutes a nation or not based on partial or incomplete information. 

I think Cascadia would be best served playing against other bioregions in North America rather than joining the NF Board.  One thing is for sure - it will cost a fortune for Cascadians to get to any tournament that the NF Board organises, as most of their members are in Europe and the NF Board have literally no money at all.  If the Kurdistan government hadn't paid for the last VIVA World Cup, there wouldn't have been one.  I wouldn't be too surprised if the acceptance of Cascadia had something to do with thinking that Canadians and Americans have money that they could bring to the NF Board.  I'm not saying that is reality - just that having seen the NF Board's lack of professionalism in the past, it wouldn't surprise me.
Well, with all due respect, we disagree. As for money, I know that both Quebec and we are not rich. And in the case of Cascadia while the region is fairly affluent compared to some other places it is far from a given that our team will be flush with cash. We're encouraged by the support we have in the region and from the other FA's who contacted us before Munich as well as the ones we met in Munich. We do not think the acceptance of our application is any sort of "cash grab" but rather in the spirit of the motto of the N.F.-Board - "So everyone can play." There are people here who will never receive a call from either the US or Canada to play on their national teams. There are indigenous people and people whose heritage is from elsewhere who will never play for their parent's or grandparent's countries but they want to play football. They feel connected to the land and the other peoples of Cascadia.  We are a land of many tribes. Our FA's unofficial motto is "Many Tribes, United in Passion" for that very reason.

Again, I have absolutely nothing against the cause of Cascadia - quite the opposite. But I'm just not sure the NF Board is the best organisation to join.  Cascadia runs the risk of running out of money from flying to Europe regularly, or becoming another of the NF Board's 'empty' members who is a member in name only and never plays any matches or even has any contact with the NF Board.

Thank you. however, we have no intention of being an "empty" member and as far as running out of money, there are plenty of philanthropists in Cascadia. Just the money some of the larger club supporters groups raise for a season of tifo displays is enough to fund a trip to Europe.  There are plenty of people here who want to see us succeed and will back us. Golazo Energy Drinks even donated their headquarters for us to use for our first meeting. Resources are just that, they may come in the form of money or other things we'd have to spend money on. We're a generous bunch.

Like I said, if you or anyone else has any specific question or concern about Cascadia and the Cascadia FA please feel free to ask. We're open to questions.

Last Edited By: Cascadia Feb 27 13 10:35 PM. Edited 5 times.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#11 [url]

Feb 27 13 10:33 PM

Did Cascadian FA members fly out to Munich or did Sascha the German shirt collector represent you along with Heligoland?

Which would be more expensive, a Caribbean tour or a trip to the Pacific to play teams like NMI?

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

Feb 27 13 10:39 PM

SEStubbs wrote:
Did Cascadian FA members fly out to Munich or did Sascha the German shirt collector represent you along with Heligoland?

Sascha Düerkop was elected as our Europe based representative due to time and budget constraints. However, in the future our FA President or another member of the Cascadia board will travel to Europe.

Which would be more expensive, a Caribbean tour or a trip to the Pacific to play teams like NMI?

Caribbean would be more expensive, both in terms of travel and demand as most of the Caribbean are tourist destinations which drives up cost of accommodations across the board.  

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Feb 27 13 10:55 PM

SEStubbs wrote:
Have you discussed with Quebec a preferable date to play a game this year? After the 2013 MLS i'm guessing.

Yes, we're talking about it but both of us are in various stages of preparation. We talked about fall or winter. The winter weather here can sometimes be very mild but other times it can be very cold and rainy - perfect football weather so long as it is not snow! smiley: smile

In theory we could do one in the summer during the week break the league has for their "All Star Game". Most people in Cascadia would be looking for a match to go to as it is unlikely they will play an ASG in Cascadia as they tend to be on the east coast due to TV broadcast time windows. We don't think we'd be ready by summer of this year though we've been surprised how fast things have come together and there is momentum.

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Feb 27 13 11:56 PM

Perhaps Alaska could join the North American group.

But what I fail to understand about these sort of discussions is why there has to be a governing body (e.g. NF Board, or continental non-FIFA confederations) at all.

The only benefits I can see are:

(i) it gives a sort of central meeting point for various nations/teams to get in contact with each other. But as we live in an age of instantaneous worldwide communication, I'm not sure that is really necessary any more. If Team X wants to play Team Y and they both have half-decent websites and working email/twitter addresses then they can organise the match much more easily themselves than if they went via NF Board.

(ii) if you want to play in the VIVA World Cup then you need to be a NF Board member, but in my view the most successful "non-FIFA World Cups" have been the two which weren't organized by the NF Board. I.e. the ELF Cup in Turkish Cyprus, and the FIFI Wild Cup in Germany. OK there were some joke teams in both editions, but they were well organised. The VIVA one has been more of a struggle. If I was running a non-FIFA national FA in a large country/region I would prefer to arrange and host my own "World Cup" and be confident that I could get a better turnout and do a better publicity job than the VIVA one. Even if I hosted it in a neutral country.

(iii) it gives some sort of credibility or notability to the nation. Perhaps this is why most of them joined. But by joining you run the risk of becoming associated with joke teams. And if you are already credible then you don't need this - if anything, they should be coming to you to beg you to join.

I did like the idea of the NF Board in the beginning but it's been haphazard from day 1, and it seems pointless now. It's been shunned by many of the "big" non-FIFA teams, or the ones who play more regularly.

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

Feb 28 13 12:11 AM

nfm24 wrote:
Perhaps Alaska could join the North American group.

We'd welcome Alaska forming an FA, it's not that far from Cascadia and flights are pretty cheap between the two. They also have an independence movement.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#19 [url]

Feb 28 13 4:39 PM

I'll keep this quite short. I'm concerned about putting things in boxes because that's what organisations are for. You join an organisation because it is an organisation for a particular thing. For example, FIFA is an organisation for national football associations (worldwide). CONCACAF is the same type of organisation for FAs within North & Central America. The "Vancouver Metro Soccer League" is for football teams from the Vancouver Metro area.

This "let everyone play" that the NF Board espouses - I think it has been taken too literally. The original intention was that unrepresented peoples and nations not in current membership of FIFA should be allowed to play internationally. This means Tibet, Monaco, Vatican City, Kurdistan, etc.

The example that Cascadia existed before USA and Canada. Yes, I agree. But every part of every present-day nation existed before the present-day nation was formed. So that's not really saying anything. North-West-Central Azerbaijan existed long before the Soviet Union and present-day Azerbaijan, and the people there might have formed some kind of nation in the past.

Likewise, if we go back far enough, everyone in North America was Asian, and everyone in the World was African. Also, if we go back to 1969, the name "Cascadia" was still an idea in a University professor's head.

As for the Time list - Along with Cascadia, I would also list Padania as an entity that should not be a member of the NF Board. It's no coincidence that the following 3 entities on the Time list (Cascadia, Padania and the 2nd Vermont Republic) are at the end.

For me, the most telling factor is from the "About Us" part of the Cascadian Independence Project website.

"The Cascadian Independence Project is a grass-roots movement dedicated to raising awareness of Cascadia, to highlight our growing regional identity, and to celebrate the distinct social, geographic and cultural aspects that make the Pacific Northwest unique."

For real nations and ethnic groups, people do not need to raise awareness because it is already innate within the people.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#20 [url]

Feb 28 13 4:51 PM

pieter wrote:
you do not have to believe Google: the Alaska FA adress is on the RSSSF site.....more reliable then google

Well, I have to disagree.

Google told me that the address on RSSSF was no longer correct (http://www.soccerak.com) It should be http://www.socceralaska.com/

Also, Soccer Alaska is apparently affiliated to the United States Adult Soccer Association (USASA).

So is Alaska Adult Soccer Association (AASA):

USASA is affiliated to the USSF (US Soccer Federation, which is affiliated to FIFA), and the official USASA website (http://www.usasa.com/Directory/West/index_E.html) lists Alaska Adult Soccer Association as the official USASA organisation for Alaska, not the one on RSSSF.

If we look at the organisations affiliated to AASA, we can see that Soccer Alaska (in Anchorage) is actually affiliated to AASA.

So, in this case, it seems RSSSF is wrong.

The lesson here is - never believe anything that's on the internet.  Always go look for yourself.

Last Edited By: TheRoonBa Feb 28 13 4:54 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help