Remove this ad

Lead

Jan 26 13 7:11 PM

Tags : :

Norwich City were beaten in the FA Cup today by 5th-tier Luton Town, first time that a top-tier team has been beaten competitively by a non-league club for over 20 years. Not sure what classes as a 'non-league' team in other countries, but (mainly thinking of recent years) what are the most notable results like this to have occured? I know there are always plenty in France, but what has been the biggest league gap for any of these 'giantkillings'?
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Jan 27 13 9:23 AM

Note that the "biggest league gap" in such an upset might be in a game where the higher team is not in the top level. E.g. a 7th tier team beating a 2nd tier team is more of a gap than 5th beating 1st.

A similar question, easier to answer, would be "what is the greatest upset in international football?" based on difference in the rankings (FIFA or otherwise)?

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Jan 27 13 9:38 AM

In Italy, this kind of result is not very frequent. A clamorous coup de théâtre happened over the 1983-84 Coppa Italia, when Bari (playing in Serie C1, that is to say the third level) eliminated Juventus...

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Jan 27 13 1:05 PM

nfm24 wrote:
A similar question, easier to answer, would be "what is the greatest upset in international football?" based on difference in the rankings (FIFA or otherwise)?

If one goes by the Elo ratings (which consider also the competition and margin of victory) that would be Sweden beating Belgium 8-1 at the 1924 Paris Olympics. But feel free to take your pick from the list.

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Jan 27 13 1:09 PM

I think the consistent progress of Bradford City (4th level) in the League Cup has been more impressive this season:

1st round : beat Notts County (3rd level)
2nd round: beat Watford (2nd level)
3rd round : beat Burton Albion (4th level)
4th round : beat Wigan (1st level)
Quarterfinal: beat Arsenal (1st level)
Semifinal : beat Aston Villa (1st level) on aggregate over two legs
Final : to play Swansea City (1st level)

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Jan 27 13 1:13 PM

Kaizeler wrote:

If one goes by the Elo ratings (which consider also the competition and margin of victory) that would be Sweden beating Belgium 8-1 at the 1924 Paris Olympics. But feel free to take your pick from the list.

I think North Korea 1-0 Italy (1966), Japan 3-2 Sweden (1936), or USA 1-0 England (1950).  Maybe also Indonesia 0-0 USSR (1956)

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Jan 28 13 11:02 AM

nfm24 wrote:

Yes, I'm going to open a new topic about this matter soon.

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Jan 28 13 7:11 PM

Tottenham reached and won the 1901 FA Cup as a Non-League side; which as far as I know is still the only time it has happened anywhere in the world in knockout cup (club) football.

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Jan 28 13 7:53 PM

In Italy, Vado and Napoli are the only two clubs to have won the Coppa Italia when they were in the Second Level (Napoli was in Serie B in 1961/62, while Vado was in Promozione in 1921-22).

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Jan 28 13 8:24 PM

In Holland even the second team (or B-team) of some clubs have won the Dutch FA Cup. HBS 2 did in 1908, Quick Den Haag 2 in 1909 and 1910. In the 1974-1975 season amateur team IJsselmeervogels from the village of Spakenburg reached the semi-finals which they lost 6-0 to FC Twente. In the quarter finals they beat AZ '67 (now AZ) away after penalties.

Last Edited By: Fast Midfielder Jan 28 13 8:26 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#12 [url]

Feb 1 13 12:04 PM

Karpaty Lvov/Lviv (2nd level) had won the Soviet Cup in 1969. It was the only case in the USSR.

Alania Vladikavkaz (2nd level) played in the 2011 Russian Cup final, but lost 1-2 to CSKA Moscow.

Last Edited By: TovKirov Feb 1 13 12:09 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Feb 25 13 10:33 AM

One of the two finalists in the 1999 Conmebol Cup (an official South American competition) was Centro Sportivo Alagoano.
This Brazilian club was an authentic "minnow". In fact, at that time, they were in Série C, the third level of the Brazilian football.

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Feb 17 17 9:20 PM

So the big weekend for the 2 non-league clubs is upon us with Lincoln City playing Burnley tomorrow... but unfortunately Sutton United, for all the feel-good stories ahead of their game with Arsenal, are going in on a bad note, caused by a little big redtop.

I still want them to cause an upset, and their reasons for signing the deal are completely understandable, but they definitely could have picked a better one-off sponsor, also it makes their kits look tacky smiley: eyes.

On the plus (plus) side though, if their regular goalkeeper has to leave the pitch, then his replacement will most likely be the 127kg of 46-year-old Wayne Shaw, who also works as a volunteer at the club. The dream scenario is that he gets on, plays an incredible game, earns a call-up for England, and takes his place in some relevant 'player records' topic on this forum, possibly more than one...

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

Feb 21 17 6:18 PM

mattsanger92 wrote:
On the plus (plus) side though, if their regular goalkeeper has to leave the pitch, then his replacement will most likely be the 127kg of 46-year-old Wayne Shaw, who also works as a volunteer at the club. The dream scenario is that he gets on, plays an incredible game, earns a call-up for England, and takes his place in some relevant 'player records' topic on this forum, possibly more than one...
So about that Wayne Shaw... not sure what the problem is really, had no effect on the game itself and the only losers in this are "Sun Bets", who had it coming for, well, many reasons... but it was stupid of them to advertise a bet that could be so easily influenced. There are much worse things to worry about in football and I would have eaten a pie too in those circumstances.

And a resounding 0 out of 4 on that 'dream scenario', maybe I can get him a "Supp GB" call-up to keep that last part alive.

Fantastic result for Lincoln City though by beating Burnley with their only shot on target late in the game, they join the hall of fame of this thread and play Arsenal in the next round. Shame that it wasn't Sutton instead, one of those games where a couple of things go the opposite way and something special could have happened... instead we're left with a man and his illegal pie smiley: eyes.

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Feb 21 17 9:36 PM

mattsanger92 wrote:
The dream scenario is that he gets on, plays an incredible game, earns a call-up for England, and takes his place in some relevant 'player records' topic
I think the first and second parts of the dream scenario are unnecessary, given the recent efforts of England keepers.  Indeed Mr Shaw is effectively a large sack of potatoes (and meat, gravy etc) so he seems qualified already.

Quote    Reply   

#19 [url]

Feb 24 17 7:42 PM

nfm24 wrote:
Indeed Mr Shaw is effectively a large sack of potatoes (and meat, gravy etc) so he seems qualified already.
Apparently has the intelligence of a potato too... he's been "hung out to pie" alright but the culprit is right under his nose (a bit further down actually, can't confuse with his mouth in this case).

Unless he now does something which surprises us all, then willingly becoming a 'victim face' on behalf of the organisation that caused the mess he's in and contradicting his own story for them while they continue to make fat jokes at his expense has to be one of the most stupid decisions I've ever seen, what a melt (betting suspended). May have to take back my hypothetical offer of a "Supp GB" cap.

Last Edited By: mattsanger92 Feb 25 17 12:56 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

Feb 24 17 8:04 PM

mattsanger92 wrote:
one of the most stupid decisions I've ever seen
That would be a good spin-off thread: stupidest decisions in football.   I'll nominate Roberto Rojas as an early benchmark.  Big Sam as a more recent one.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help