Remove this ad

Lead

Mar 13 13 3:05 PM

Tags : :

Draw today - 

Group A: Mexico, Panama, Canada and Martinique.
Group B: Honduras, El Salvador, Trinidad & Tobago and Haiti
Group C: USA, Costa Rica, Cuba and Belize.

Tough for Martinique and Belize.
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#2 [url]

Apr 6 13 5:16 PM

The winner of the 2013 Gold Cup will play off against the winner of the 2015 Gold Cup for a place in the 2017 Confederations cup.... Will this also be the case in Africa with a CAn every two years?

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Apr 6 13 7:44 PM

I would like to see CAF do this as well but I find it hard to see this happening in the next 4 years while the current CAF president is in post; I also do not agree with the rules that he managed to push through last September that only current or past CAF ex co members can run for President.

To me it seems that the CAF member associations are affraid to speak out against him.

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Apr 7 13 10:38 AM

Good suggestions for CAF, while I enjoy certain tournaments being run bi-anually, it doesn't help the Confederations Cup when there are two 'champions' to choose from on a continent, so a Play-Off could be a good way of resolving this in the relevant continents (North America and Africa), and would have been fair for a team such as Zambia who were extremely unfortunate to miss out this summer due to when they won.

A unique situation, but I suppose for this year's Confederations Cup, a 3-way African Play-Off would have been needed (Egypt, Zambia, Nigeria), potentially as a mini-group tournament? For North America, Mexico won in 2009 & 2011, so there would have been no need for a Play-Off, and the situation will obviously be the same in the event of a double winner in 2013 & 2015.

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Apr 7 13 9:23 PM

But then that wouldn't be fair on the 4 continents that have quadrennial tournaments. If North America and Africa have tournaments every 2 years (not a bad thing for those of us that like watching international football smiley: happy), then they need to have a way to decide their representative fairly, otherwise the others might argue that they should have a space for their last two winners rather than one.

The Confederations Cup has always been an 8-team tournament (not including when FIFA weren't organising it), it's a perfect structure that doesn't need changing, just the two continents above (as of 2017 just Africa) that should do a little more for their unlucky winners.

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Apr 7 13 11:18 PM

Other continents can hold tournaments more often if they are really bothered above having more entrants at the Confederations Cup...
Or just take the most recent winner. Seems obvious to me that the most recent winner has the best claim.

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Jun 5 13 9:43 AM

Some Mexican sources report that Mexico will employ a restrictive side for the Gold Cup. Logical, as they give priority to the Confederations Cup.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#9 [url]

Jun 5 13 11:03 AM

Yes, if Mexico reach the final of both tournaments (a reasonable chance), they would have to play 13 games in 7 weeks (including their 2 World Cup qualifiers in June).

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#10 [url]

Jun 5 13 11:19 AM

Seems Mexico will send a very inexperienced side with a few veterans

Of the 35-strong preliminary roster, only 6 have more than 10 caps (and 2 of these only have 11 caps), while 8 are uncapped.
ALDRETE RODRIGUEZ, ADRIAN ALEXEI 9
ARCE RUIZ, FERNANDO ENRIQUE 43
AYALA CASTRO, HUGO 9
BRIZUELA MUÑOZ, ISAAC 0
CABRERA PUJOL, DAVID 3
CARDENAS LOPEZ, JOSE MARIA 3
CASTRO FLORES, ALEJANDRO 0
CHAVEZ RAMIREZ, DARVIN FRANCISCO 6
CORRAL ANG, GEORGE ULISES 0
CORTES GRANADOS, JAVIER 6
DAVILA PLASCENCIA, ULISES ALEJANDRO 0
ENRIQUEZ GARCIA, JORGE 7
FABIAN DE LA MORA, MARCO JHONFAI 4
HUIQUI ANDRADE, JOEL ADRIAN 9
JIMENEZ NAÑEZ, ISRAEL SABDI 5
LAYUN PRADO, MIGUEL ARTURO 0
LOPEZ GARCIA, LEOBARDO 9
MAGALLON OLIVA, JOSE JONNY 54
MARQUEZ LUGO, RAFAEL 11
MEDINA ALONSO, JUAN CARLOS 2
MONTES JIMENEZ, LUIS ARTURO 1
MUÑOZ RODRIGUEZ, MOISES ALBERTO 8
OROZCO DOMINGUEZ, JONATHAN EMMANUEL 2
OROZCO PEÑUELAS, JAVIER ANTONIO 3
PEÑA RODRIGUEZ, CARLOS ALBERTO 2
PERALTA MORONES, ORIBE 16
PEREIRA RODRIGUEZ, JAIR 0
PONCE BRISEÑO, MIGUEL ANGEL 3
RUIZ TOLEDO, RICHARD 0
SALINAS ORTIZ, RODOLFO 0
SAUCEDO NAJERA, CIRILO 1
TALAVERA DIAZ, ALFREDO 11
TORDECILLAS, OMAR BRAVO 65
VALENZUELA HERNANDEZ, JUAN CARLOS 9
VELARDE CALVILLO, EFRAIN 1

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#11 [url]

Jun 5 13 11:41 AM

crazy  to organise the gold cup between the WC qualifiers...most teams will have few interest in the GC; CONCACAF  should avoid this in the future

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

Jun 5 13 6:53 PM

I bet Mexico has the chances to reach the Gold Cup final. After all, even if they don't send their best side, 7 players won the Olympic Gold medal last year, while other guys belong to Santos and Monterrey, that is to say the two dominators of the CONCACAF Champions League in the last few years.

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Jun 6 13 9:01 PM

I can see only three teams which could hope to beat even a Mexico B team. It's more sensible to field a B team to allow these players to show what they can do in the hope of making the World Cup squad next year. No point tiring or injuring the best players in this event.

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Jun 13 13 5:31 PM

Away from the merits of Mexican squad selection, a heads-up that the tournament is being broadcast in the UK by ESPN.

Unless Eurosport had it at some point (memory hazy on this one), this is the first time that the tournament is being shown here live, but it looks like it'll be the last live football broadcast by ESPN before they become part of BT.

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Jun 14 13 12:44 PM

This tournament does have a bit more importance for Mexico now considering how lethargic their A team is in the WCQ. Maybe some of the B team will shine through and replace the same old faces which drew so many games.

Quote    Reply   

#18 [url]

Jul 8 13 4:49 PM

Brilliant goal to open the tournament and a brilliant result for Martinique, should help to prove a few people wrong about non-FIFA teams. The choice to stay awake and watch the second half paid off eventually...

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

Jul 9 13 9:15 AM

In the UK it's on ESPN, and also through live streaming on Bet365 website.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help