Remove this ad

TheRoonBa

#21 [url]

Sep 28 15 12:44 PM

nfm24 wrote:
Cricket certainly, and rugby league also. Netball and hockey are also good sports for Australia at least.  Basically all the sports of the British Empire educational system.

If only we knew someone who knew all about relative strengths of international teams in a myriad of team sports.

If only smiley: laugh

In terms of "Oceania" (and not just Australia and New Zealand), I think Rugby Union, Rugby League and Australian Rules football (all already mentioned) have the most Oceania representatives in the Top 20, say.  Touch Football and Rugby Sevens (as derivatives of the above sports) can also be included.

As for hockey, outside of Australia and New Zealand, everyone else is pretty rubbish in Oceania - the same with basketball.

Cricket has Australia and New Zealand, while Papua New Guinea are probably in the Top 20.  Vanuatu, Fiji are further down (but probably still in the Top 50).

In baseball and softball, Oceania has quite a few competitive middle-ranking teams like Guam, American Samoa, Palau, etc.

Last Edited By: TheRoonBa Sep 28 15 12:49 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

TheRoonBa

#23 [url]

Sep 30 15 3:50 PM

Micronesian All-Around - what a great competition:

Coconut Tree Climbing, Coconut Husking, Spear Throwing, Run/Swim and Diving

An extract from the regulations:
Coconut Husking-Men: Each male athlete will husk ten (10) coconuts in the
fastest time possible. The coconuts will be husked until they are reasonably
clean. No outer shell covering of the husk or large clumps of the coconut
fibers should be presents, and the hairy crown where the plant sprouts shall
be stripped from the nutshell. The husking implements must be provided by
the athlete but they must be made of wood.

Quote    Reply   

#24 [url]

Oct 1 15 12:08 AM

It would be good if other countries incorporated their own traditional cultures into sports. Perhaps in the Olympics, a bespoke cultural triathlon where each athlete's three events are based on his nationality. Even better, an open combat event where combatants fight in the style and costume of their homelands.... Eurosport what are you waiting for.

Quote    Reply   

#28 [url]

Oct 1 15 12:17 PM

I predict the USA will win...

I think every country might have a sport where they are the strongest in the world because the rest of the world does not play it...but for Belgium cyclo-cross is a good example and if korfball was an Olympic sport we would certainly win silver....

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

TheRoonBa

#29 [url]

Oct 1 15 3:20 PM

I saw that some video game events (electronic 'sports') were treated as sports at the Asian Indoor & Martial Arts Games - is this the future? FIFA 2013, League of Legends, Tekken, Special Force, Starcraft, Need for Speed were all medal events.

Quote    Reply   

#31 [url]

Oct 1 15 5:26 PM

TheRoonBa wrote:
I saw that some video game events (electronic 'sports') were treated as sports at the Asian Indoor & Martial Arts Games - is this the future? FIFA 2013, League of Legends, Tekken, Special Force, Starcraft, Need for Speed were all medal events.
Bigger than a lot of people think, as long as the game in question provides a level playing field (you have to earn better guns in games like Call of Duty through playing/winning a lot), players should definitely be respected for what they can do, but the huge sponsorships/prize money and the term 'cyberathletes' rubs me the wrong way a little.

Tekken (and others like Street Fighter) actually offer a kind of regonalised 'fighting style' mentioned earlier - all characters are equal ability (and come from all corners of the world), just varied in their approaches. Just as long as you don't use Eddy Gordo (capoeira) - one of the the only video game characters to give button-mashers a better chance than someone who actually knows the controls...

And for the Pacific events discussion - the only correct answer is a tribal dance-off - most intimidating wins. Apparently if two rugby teams with a pre-game dance meet, they perform them at the same time, meaning we should have a rematch of this next week in Newcastle:

Quote    Reply   

#32 [url]

Oct 1 15 9:10 PM

If video games become part of convential sporting Games, then in future there will be meta-video games, where the players control video gamers. And then those games will themselves become events, leading to meta-meta-video games. Etc.

Thus, it should not be allowed. Indeed, any video game with more controls than A, B (and if you insist C) should be outlawed.

Quote    Reply   

#33 [url]

Oct 1 15 9:20 PM

mattsanger92 wrote:
And for the Pacific events discussion - the only correct answer is a tribal dance-off - most intimidating wins.
The haka would be a lot funnier* if only 14 players did it, while the 15th guy was just standing at the back reading the paper and eating a burger.

* I'm sure humour is what they were hoping to achieve

Quote    Reply   

#34 [url]

Oct 1 15 9:21 PM

nfm24 wrote:
If video games become part of convential sporting Games, then in future there will be meta-video games, where the players control video gamers. And then those games will themselves become events, leading to meta-meta-video games. Etc.

Thus, it should not be allowed. Indeed, any video game with more controls than A, B (and if you insist C) should be outlawed.

C? What kind of console did you have in mind? Most letter-based ones choose to have an inexplicable jump to X and Y to complete 4 main buttons. On my console of choice, they even go as far as removing 2 letters, X and O are joined by a triangle and a square...

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help