Remove this ad

Lead

May 18 13 10:48 AM

Tags : :

Anyone watching the contest this year? I know a large part of winning is down to who your friends are (you can guarantee where 'douze points' will be heading from Cyprus and Belarus, etc.), but still a much better option than most reality shows on TV. Not a big fan of music, so I mainly watch for the novelty acts or at least something 'entertaining'. Montenegro was robbed this year...
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#2 [url]

May 20 13 4:37 PM

mattsanger92 wrote:
but still a much better option than most reality shows on TV.
That's like saying that waterboarding is a better option than electric shocks.
The only significant benefit of any future UKIP power swing is that this crap will be banned from British TV.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#3 [url]

May 27 13 8:54 PM

mattsanger92 wrote:
Anyone watching the contest this year? I know a large part of winning is down to who your friends are (you can guarantee where 'douze points' will be heading from Cyprus and Belarus, etc.), but still a much better option than most reality shows on TV. Not a big fan of music, so I mainly watch for the novelty acts or at least something 'entertaining'. Montenegro was robbed this year...

"Not a big fan of music"?

You mean the Eurovision music (not surprising) or all music? Surely everyone likes at least some music?

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Jun 18 13 4:10 PM

TheRoonBa wrote:
You mean the Eurovision music (not surprising) or all music? Surely everyone likes at least some music?

All music, in a way. Doesn't mean I don't like it, and there's some types I prefer over others, it's just that I've never gone out my way to sit down and listen to a CD or radio, or booked tickets to a concert, just not my thing. No problem with music being on in the background or something, though, and I don't mind watching Eurovision (mainly for the weirdness) - it's like a mix of the World Cup and The X Factor with political voting thrown in (wouldn't be surprised if X Factor was rigged in some way though smiley: wink).

In other news, most singers probably sound this way on their own anyway, but this is proof that Eurovision shouldn't be taken too seriously as a contest:
http://www.worldtvpc.com/blog/eurovision-back-to-basics-in-vocal-only-video/

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Feb 16 15 6:33 PM

So Russia, angry at the fact that Austrian dude-looks-a-lady "Conchita Wurst" won last year (citing it as a symbol of "moral decay of the west") are set to host their own contest called "Intervision" later this year, a revival of a 70s Soviet Eurovision alternative for the Eastern Bloc. 5 other post-Soviet states plus China will join Russia for some morally correct singing in Sochi, though Russia are still planning on going to Vienna for Eurovision in May anyway, which seems to defeat their purpose...

In other news, someone in the organising committee might need to seriously consider buying a map, because Australia have been invited to join this year's Eurovision, straight into the final as well: http://www.eurovision.tv/page/news?id=australia_to_participate_in_the_2015_eurovision_song_contest

Last Edited By: mattsanger92 Feb 16 15 6:36 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

May 4 15 10:24 AM

Interesting story with some loose relevance to my 'combined national teams' football thread: Luxembourg, who apparently haven't taken part in Eurovision since 1993, were planning a comeback this year by pooling together with San Marino's broadcasters for a joint entry (a duet onstage, and in backstage/broadcasting San Marino would have covered most of the cost for the pair, so I'm not sure what San Marino were so desperate to sign up for and why Luxembourg are so reluctant). Presumably voters on the show would have called in for "San Marino/Luxembourg".

They didn't get their funding in the end, though, and San Marino take part alone (although will probably just hire an Italian singer anyway)...

Last Edited By: mattsanger92 May 4 15 10:26 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

May 4 15 1:59 PM

I wonder how many man-hours were wasted in those two countries dealing with this, and how much the overall productivity of the countries could have decreased as a result.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#9 [url]

May 4 15 6:38 PM

Overall productivity of Luxembourg? I'm sure there's plenty of work going on there to make up for it, what with being the official headquarters of Amazon and other major companies smiley: eyes.

They are small countries so you may actually have a point, but bear in mind these are TV executives we're talking about here, the period in which they tried to get that deal going alone was probably the busiest they'd been in a long time...

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

May 25 15 10:29 PM

Congratulations to hyper-competitive Eurovision trophy regulars Sweden, who with no strong political allegiances won with what looked to just be the best entry of the contest, who knew?

Austria and Germany dead-last with 'nil points', you'd think a host would have been favoured a bit more...

Australia finish 5th in their guest appearance which was not of the '1st place' target required for a re-entry, but apparently they might be invited back next year anyway because... I'm at a loss.

Nice to not see the British media jumping on our lack of points as a conspiracy, hopefully accepted that this year's entry was in a different class of terrible. Daily Mail on point as ever with their sensationalism, though, apparently ran some headline suggesting that Nigella Lawson single-handedly embarrassed Vladimir Putin because she announced the points that gave Sweden a considerable lead over Russia smiley: roll.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#12 [url]

May 25 15 11:17 PM

nfm24 wrote:
mattsanger92 wrote:
 best entry of the contest

Tallest dwarf

I would rather watch dwarves ploughing fields and/or eating watermelons.  

Eurovision is nowadays basically Gay Pride parade meets another Gay Pride parade.  It should just be banned and replaced by an annual remix of YMCA.

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

May 26 15 6:17 AM

Oh yeah, I've said before I only watch for the weirdness (which was strangely lacking this year, they're all taking it too seriously) and the 'international contest' angles, cringeworthy how much Eurovision and gay pride go hand-in-hand. Given how much Ireland's results presenter was cheered just for being Irish this weekend, I'm starting to think the booing of Russia the year before wasn't due to any invasion of Ukraine...

I've got no problem with gay rights, but you'd think gay was a country seeing their flag in the arena so much...

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

May 26 15 12:09 PM

I think the World Cup will become like this soon.

Indeed Sepp Blatter probably fears that, which is why he's given the world cups to countries which aren't much in favour of this sort of thing.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help