Remove this ad

Lead

Jun 15 13 11:01 AM

Tags : :

In tribute to an old thread I just noticed about where everyone would like to visit, here's one for where and when you'd like to visit. So someone gives you a time machine that allows you to visit (not change, that's for another thread smiley: wink) any time and place in history, where do you go?

For football / sporting reasons, the top of my list would be London 1863, Glasgow 1872, Athens 1896, England 1966, and Spain 1982.
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Jun 19 13 9:22 AM

My parents and the other ones who lived in that period, keep saying that the 1960s were a wonderful era, at least in my country. After the War tragedies, in the 1960s Italy returned to life: there was the economic boom, the relationships among people were much heartier than now, delinquency and criminality were much less diffused. Also, songs were so beautiful that they still are popular nowadays. TV programmes were of excellent quality and of good taste. The most important aspect was the fact that in the 1960s the young people were aimed by many ideals and looked to the future with a strong confidence.
Moreover, in that period, my favourite team, FC Inter, conquered two consecutive European Cups and Intercontinental Cups. Indeed a golden age icon_biggrin.gif

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Jun 19 13 5:45 PM

Well, my point was that Berlusconi managed to reverse most of the positive trends that Luca mentioned.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#6 [url]

Jun 19 13 10:21 PM

I would say the 1966-1974 era. The 07-12-1966 legendary Ajax 5-1 Liverpool match should have marked the beginning of the uprise of Dutch soccer. There were many young talented players in Netherlands. After Ajax lost the 1969 European Champions Cup final, Feyenoord (1970) and Ajax (1971, 1972, 1973) won the cup. From 1971 Dutch NT was taken more seriously. Finally.

Even though the trophees have been won in the 1970-1974 era (Feyenoord also won the 1974 UEFA Cup), I think the years 1966-1969 even were more interesting for Dutch soccer lovers. It were the years of the making of succesful Dutch teams.

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Jun 19 13 10:40 PM

Luca wrote:
My parents and the other ones who lived in that period, keep saying that the 1960s were a wonderful era, at least in my country. After the War tragedies, in the 1960s Italy returned to life: there was the economic boom, the relationships among people were much heartier than now, delinquency and criminality were much less diffused. Also, songs were so beautiful that they still are popular nowadays. TV programmes were of excellent quality and of good taste. The most important aspect was the fact that in the 1960s the young people were aimed by many ideals and looked to the future with a strong confidence.
Moreover, in that period, my favourite team, FC Inter, conquered two consecutive European Cups and Intercontinental Cups. Indeed a golden age icon_biggrin.gif
I am born in 1963, so I remember a little of the 1960s, but I remember there must have been something as an economic boom in Holland which lasted until 1973. From 1979 economic situation got worse, but relationships between people also got worse since about 1980. Solidarity between people disappeared gradually. I also agree with you TV programmes were of excellent quality by then. Now there is more rubbish on television. Music was better, but personally I also like the music of the mid 1990s because of the fast beat (which is something I like).

However, was everything better in the old days? Around 1970 in Holland about 3000 people were killed by traffic accidents annualy (on a 13 mln population). Now it are around 700 (on a (almost) 17 mln population). There might be less criminality in the 1960s and 1970s, but at the time tere were so called bastards as well. In 1972 I was severely hit by an accident and I was very lucky I have not been killed. However, the one who hit me has immediately drove.

Vandalism absolutely was not accepted where I come from until the 1970s. Later people accepted this more or less.

I always say each era has its charms and lesser things. So actually I like each era (on a different way).

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Jun 21 13 9:40 AM

nfm24 wrote:
And then came Berlusconi.

Yes, Berlusconi and Berlusconism represent a calamity for my country from many points of view: political, moral, democratic and so on...
But please don't forget that, between the 1960s and Berlusconism, Italy faced many other dark periods: the political terrorism in the 1970s, the unpunished slaughters, the mafia's attacks and various economical crisis. That's why I do think the 1960s were probably the happiest era, for the reasons I cited above.

Fast Midfielder wrote:
However, was everything better in the old days?

Even the darkest eras can have positive sides, while even the brightest periods can show troubles. For example, nowadays, here in Italy, we're facing a terrible recession: people keep losing their jobs, thousands of families are on the verge of dispair and the social situation is incandescent. But we have also positive aspects, see the progresses of medicine and of technology. On the other hand, the 1990s were a positive moment for the Italian economy, but, at the same time, drug diffusion and pollution were very alarming.

Fast Midfielder wrote:
Relationships between people also got worse since about 1980. Solidarity between people disappeared gradually. Vandalism absolutely was not accepted where I come from until the 1970s. Later people accepted this more or less.

I agree: the present society is getting worse and worse, especially the young people are more and more aggressive and they probably don't have anymore the values and the ideals which animated the youth in the 1960s or in the earliest 1970s. Also the criminality rate, today, is impressive, especially in the biggest cities, and the uncontrolled increase of immigration is the main cause of this plague, in my modest opinion.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help