Remove this ad

Lead

Aug 20 13 10:28 PM

Tags : :

Random browsing led me to this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Norwegian_Cup) recently, it seems that Northern Norway was effectively exiled from the rest of Norway in football terms until the 1960s and 70s. While we would have known if there was an official 'national team' because of this, the issues ('travel and communication costs') at least seemed to affect the Norwegian Cup and 1st-tier league, so did it stretch any further (a seperate federation, etc.)?
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#2 [url]

Aug 21 13 5:44 AM

Because chances are they would have played another European nation at some point if it was some sort of official representation (and noted in Wikipedia archives, etc.), although an 'unofficial national team' would be able to slip under the radar a little better.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#3 [url]

Aug 21 13 11:22 AM

This is nothing new. Many parts of Scotland and even England are exiled from the rest of the country (Highland League in Scotland, Northern League in England), and these are smaller countries than Norway.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#4 [url]

Aug 21 13 2:51 PM

mattsanger92 wrote:
Because chances are they would have played another European nation at some point if it was some sort of official representation (and noted in Wikipedia archives, etc.), although an 'unofficial national team' would be able to slip under the radar a little better.

Surely if there is anything to be learned from the myriad of posts on this forum, it is that "established information" (e.g. Wikipedia, FIFA, etc) often turns out to be wrong or at least incomplete.  Perhaps Northern Norway played against Northern Finland, or some other regional team, in the past.   I don't see how we can conclude this didn't happen simply because it isn't written on Wikipedia.

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Aug 21 13 4:40 PM

You misunderstood what I meant here by 'official', as if that was the case for Northern Norway then it definitely would have featured somewhere on Wikipedia, etc., from what I've seen it seems to be comprehensive when it comes to former national teams.

'Unofficial' (i.e. Non-FIFA) internationals ('Northern Norway v Northern Finland', etc.), would not have as many records, and I am interested to find out if any of those did actually happen.

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Aug 21 13 9:07 PM

I knew what you meant but it depends who they played. Generally more is known about European teams but it's not always online. And complete is wikipedia for, say, North Vietnam, or North Yemen?

As for finding them, you could try searching Aftenposten, but there's no guarantee it would be reported of course.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help