Remove this ad

#21 [url]

Mar 15 14 3:48 PM

Keep ANC as it is, and scrap this CHAN nonsense.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#22 [url]

Mar 15 14 4:39 PM

agree  skipping CHAN, but CAN every four years with qualifiyng groups without preliminary rounds , let them play over 2 years  switching with WC-qualifiyng , just like in Europe....so every team, even the minnows will be allowed to pay enough games....

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#23 [url]

Mar 19 14 2:34 AM

In the past, minnows and even non-minnows have withdrawn part of the way through qualifying groups. It's too much financially for some of the smaller FAs.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#25 [url]

Mar 19 14 11:51 AM

CAF is not the richest of confederations - I don't think they can offer much help. Also, if they ask for proof of finances, at least 10 countries will have to withdraw before the start - so it means that minnows will never play qualification. I say this because, almost without exception, the smaller FAs have to ask for government support during the qualification campaign (to assist with travel costs). Sometimes they get the support, sometimes they don't. There is no way to 'prove' that the government will in future give money to the FA to fulfil their fixtures.

Quote    Reply   

#30 [url]

May 3 14 2:32 PM

Gambia suspended for all CAF competitions for two years after fielding five overage players in the African U-20 Championship qualifier vs. Lybia on 6 April.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

TheRoonBa

#32 [url]

May 5 14 9:22 AM

pieter wrote:
Mauritius-Mauretania 0-1; another two years without competitive football for Mauritius;

Only 1 year and 4 months. The Indian Ocean Island Games is in August next year. Mauritius will play at least 2 matches there. Mauritania will possible be in a worse situation - if they lose in the next round, they do not have any regional competitions. On another note, Mayotte will now only have the IOIG every 4 years now that the Coupe de l'Outre-Mer is dead. There was an article recently about a player from Mayotte who has opted to play for Comoros in CAN 2015. He said that before independence, everyone was Comorian, and what happened since is just politics, so he has no problems playing for Comoros. Maybe we will see more Mahorais selected for Comoros in future.

Last Edited By: TheRoonBa May 5 14 9:26 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#34 [url]

May 5 14 11:13 AM

I meant this: CAF has to give every team enough CAF-matches; they do not need pre-qualifiyng; a solution is to play ANC every four years with every team in the groups and the competition could be over two years , just like in UEFA.....IOG and Cecafa are not the same as AC or WC games

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#35 [url]

May 5 14 8:13 PM

pieter wrote:
I meant this: CAF has to give every team enough CAF-matches; they do not need pre-qualifiyng; a solution is to play ANC every four years with every team in the groups and the competition could be over two years , just like in UEFA.....IOG and Cecafa are not the same as AC or WC games
I think, in all honesty, Mauritius take the Indian Ocean Island Games MORE seriously than any other competition (Even the World Cup).

Mauritius is already in COSAFA as well.

I think a regional qualification (like in the past) may be the way forward. CAF has 5 zones.  In the past, these zones were used for qualification (in a knockout format).  It would be quite easy to organise zonal qualification for the ANC (and might stop teams withdrawing due to lack of funds).  Distribution of qualifiers per zone would be decided based on performance at the finals tournament (with a minimum of 1 team qualifying from each zone, and a maximum of 10).

UNAF: 5 teams
WAFU: 16 teams
UNIFFAC: 8 teams
CECAFA: 12 teams (including Zanzibar)
COSAFA: 15 teams (including Réunion)

Baed on the most recent (2013 CAN):
Distribution of places at finals:

UNAF: 3 teams
WAFU: 8 teams
UNIFFAC: 1 team
CECAFA: 1 team
COSAFA 2 teams (plus host)

Last Edited By: TheRoonBa May 5 14 8:27 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#36 [url]

May 5 14 11:46 PM

Agree with zonal qualification. Unless CAF are prepared to use the receipts of the finals to subsidize a longer group based qualifying system, they have to minimize travel costs.
Forcing Mauritania to travel to Mauritius and vice versa, for one game each, was ridiculous.

Quote    Reply   

#37 [url]

May 6 14 6:18 AM

always playing the same teams does not seem very attractive.....
lack of funds: CAF can pay travel costs for small confederations
Mauritius took the Mauretania matches seriously, they really wanted to get in the group phase
and I wonder if CAR and S.Sudan will be able to play considering the civil war in those countries;

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#38 [url]

May 6 14 8:48 AM

CAF does not have enough money to subsidise travel for its members. We can't bankrupt small confederations just because 'it would be nice to see teams play different teams'.

To put the Mauritius-Mauritania match into perspective - how many times have you heard UEFA teams complaining that their players are not looking forward to the long flight to Kazakhstan? Well, making Mauritius travel to Mauritania is the equivalent of the Faroe Islands going to Burma, or Luxembourg going to Nicaragua for a qualifying match.

Quote    Reply   

#39 [url]

May 6 14 12:26 PM

pieter wrote:
always playing the same teams does not seem very attractive.....
Perhaps not, but there is enough variety in each zone, and also local rivalries stir more interest (and generate more income) than random encounters with distant teams.
It just seems pointless that Mauritius has to visit Mauritania when there are several teams nearby which are about the same standard.

Quote    Reply   

#40 [url]

May 6 14 6:04 PM

there was no much choice, because we had Eritrea, S.Sudan and Mauritius , one of them had to play Mauritania,   CAF could save money by playing the CAN every four years; regional groups could be a part of the solution, I agree, but I do not like the system of pre-qualifiyng, let all teams that show interest play a group phase...

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help