Remove this ad

TheRoonBa

#41 [url]

May 6 14 9:24 PM

pieter wrote:
there was no much choice, because we had Eritrea, S.Sudan and Mauritius , one of them had to play Mauritania,   CAF could save money by playing the CAN every four years; regional groups could be a part of the solution, I agree, but I do not like the system of pre-qualifiyng, let all teams that show interest play a group phase...

There certainly was choice.  Mauritius - South Sudan and Eritrea - Mauritania would have made more sense.  Mauritius to South Sudan is less than half the distance of Mauritius to Mauritania.  Drawing the 2 furthest away countries together was never a good idea.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#42 [url]

May 7 14 6:26 AM

anyway, they played, so distance was no problem.....the two others did not play and I fear S.Sudan will not participate: they cannot play bat home because of the war

Quote    Reply   

#43 [url]

May 8 14 9:39 AM

pieter wrote:
anyway, they played, so distance was no problem.....
???   People walked on the moon, so distance was no problem!?

Mauritania had to seek government assistance to fund the trip and were close to withdrawing.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#45 [url]

May 26 14 11:10 AM

Guinea-Bissau received 43,500 dollars from the East Timor government to allow them to travel to Congo to play the Central African Republic.  This after East Timor themselves hadn't entered AFC Challenge Cup qualifiers...  Politics - can't give money to your own team, but don't mind giving to an African team whose only link to you is that they were formerly exploited by the same European country.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#46 [url]

May 26 14 11:21 AM

ta2naka wrote:
new qualifying system: in group stage, all teams will play 2 matches within int'l matches week

players will spend many hours in travel
Teams will play one home match and one away match in each round of fixtures.  The problem is that all matches are in 3 consecutive months (Sep, Oct, Nov), so they will travel to 3 different countries and back within 3 months, and for the Asian and European-based players, there will be even more travel.  The FAs will get some of the money back from gate receipts.  But at least the matches are during international week - that's a good thing, as the teams can select their best players.  Even if the matches were spread out, the FAs would still need to find the same amount of money and do the same amount of travel - it's just that they would have more time to do it.

Quote    Reply   

#50 [url]

Jul 4 14 12:45 PM

Eq Guinea disqualified, so Mauretania will face Uganda in the next round....

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#51 [url]

Jul 5 14 12:42 PM

pieter wrote:
Eq Guinea disqualified, so Mauretania will face Uganda in the next round....

It would be good, if you post a source when giving that kind of information and WHY they have been disqualified.
http://www.cafonline.com/competition/african-cup-of-nations_2012/news/20704-equatorial-guinea-disqualified-from-orange-africa-cup-of-nations-morocco-2015.html

According to the source it is because Spanish Guinea fielded a player, who was not eligible. That's almost not a news worth. But the joke is that the player is the cameroonian Thierry Fidjeu, who is part of the team since 2011!

I don't get it, anyone here does? Why the african confederation had not a closer look which players play for Eq-Guinea? Is it the rule that a association has to protest first to disqualify Eq-Guinea? What about the matches of the Africa Cup of 2012? Do they have to annulate all these matches and statistics?

It's incredible! 

Quote    Reply   

#52 [url]

Jul 6 14 12:23 AM

It's just ongoing from the previous World Cup qualifiers when so many matches were awarded after basic administrative errors.

It may be that the player was indeed eligible, but EG was simply too incompetent to convince CAF of this.

Either way, dealing with this only now shows how much of a shambles these organizations are.  This is basic incompetence all round.

Quote    Reply   

#53 [url]

Jul 18 14 12:31 PM

Hi.

I haven't been around for ages.

Just a couple of my thoughts/reactions to this,

Firstly I cannot and at the same time can believe how many African teams commit paper work errors that lead to bans and the overturning of matches. Seems incredible, but sadly an all to familiar occurrence in African Football.

Anyway I am with nfm24 in believing a 2 yearly CAN is OK, if the CHAN tournament is stopped.

Also a thought about the Qualifying process. If we want the smaller nations to get a few more games but travel less. What about a 4 or 5 team qualifying group which is hosted by one of the nations? I realise it means no home matches for 3 or 4 of the sides, but would allow a team to travel just once and if the games are held quite quickly then maybe within a week you could have 3 matches and only have travelled once.

Just a thought.

Quote    Reply   

#54 [url]

Jul 18 14 12:43 PM

Aki13 wrote:
What about a 4 or 5 team qualifying group which is hosted by one of the nations?

The FIFA calendar business makes this difficult. In the past this was far more common in Asia particularly, and still to some extent in the Caribbean and Pacific.

Quote    Reply   

#55 [url]

Jul 31 14 10:21 PM

It seems that the match Seychelles - Sierra Leone, valid for the eliminatories for CAN 2015 and that should happen Saturday in the archipelago, was cancelled by Seychellois government due to ebola outbreak in Sierra Leone.

This way, Seychelles was eliminated from CAN. According to the news I read, the FA is fearing sanctions by CAF even though it's a case of force majeure.

Last Edited By: LeonardoP Jul 31 14 10:34 PM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   

#57 [url]

Aug 4 14 7:43 AM

Guinea has the same problem....but I think Island States take more security measures because it is an "easy" way to keep disease out.... I remember my numerous journeys to London in the seventies.... (yes I am so old...)they did everything to keep rabiës out...

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#59 [url]

Aug 18 14 9:38 PM

I think we can officially say - CAF teams have major administrative problems. The number of eliminations/walkovers because of ineligible players is quite remarkable. This is either because:

A) - CAF teams are becoming more incompetent
B) - FIFA/CAF is paying more attention to these player-based problems
C) - Both of the above

Quote    Reply   

#60 [url]

Aug 18 14 10:47 PM

I can't see why they would become more incompetent now compared to the 1980s say. It must be just that the data is now more readily available and more people can access it. But then, that would suggest that there would be roughly the same frequency of transgressions in the past but they were simply unnoticed or unpunished. However, I don't remember nearly as many of these cases occurring in the past.

And nowadays they have the advantage of computer databases and online match reports so it should be much easier to check in advance to avoid such clownish errors.
Maybe it's the old story - the easier you make things for people, the stupider they become.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help