Remove this ad

#121 [url]

Dec 15 14 9:35 PM

Luca wrote:
I'm sure you also predicted an easy win for Netherlands over Italy in the Euro 2000 semifinal, after Gianluca Zambrotta was sent off and before Patrick Kluivert and Frank de Boer kicked the penalties supported by a wholly orange Amsterdam Arena... sHa_biggrin5.gif

An easy win over Italy is impossible. If it is, this certainly is not for Holland. At Euro 2008 I could only hope Holland would obtain a draw against Italy, which was my optimistic prediction. Wrong prediction again sHa_biggrin5.gif

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#123 [url]

Dec 16 14 5:16 PM

Why you have to give up? Once I won the pool at work. It was about both Euro 2004 play off matches Holland vs Scotland. 10 points for each good final score, 5 points for each half time score. I remember I predicted Scotland - Holland 1-1 (1-0) and Holland - Scotland 2-1 (1-1). Nobody expected Holland would lose the away match and I was the only one to predict Holland being (1-0) down at half time. Not to mention nobody got any points for the return. So even with a minimum score you can win the pool. That's why I never give up.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#125 [url]

Dec 17 14 11:50 AM

This sounds like a very hollow victory. victory......victory..........................vict...........................................vic..............................................................

Quote    Reply   

#127 [url]

Dec 19 14 7:39 PM

So who is going to be the first to put their cards on the table and predict the results of the Nations Cup...

I suggest we use a Byzantine system of points, as unnecessarily detailed as possible. Administered by Mark obviously.

Quote    Reply   

#130 [url]

Jan 17 15 2:38 PM

nfm24 wrote:
I hope everyone else appreciated that pun.
I'm notre sure I did. Dame it.

Looking at the squad lists ahead of the tournament, it looks as though the unexpected hosts will be offering slight disruptions to the domestic seasons in Andorra, Gibraltar, and Malta. Is this a first for all 3?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

TheRoonBa

#133 [url]

Jan 24 15 8:26 PM

Fun fact - nearing the end of the Cameroon versus Guinea match, there have been 30 goals scored at AFCON 2015, all scored by different players (including one own goal).

Quote    Reply   

#135 [url]

Jan 26 15 3:26 PM

Well anything is possible. Last time they gave the golden boot to Emenike (3 goals) instead of Wakaso (4 goals), counting a clear OG as a 4th for Emenike, and making him top ahead of Wakaso based on some arbitrary tie-breaker.

Quote    Reply   

#136 [url]

Jan 26 15 5:04 PM

Situation looks similar to Dennis Bergkamp's deflected shot against Brazil on 09-10-1999. Initially the goal counted as an own goal, later it was counted as a Dennis Bergkamp goal.

You can see and judge by yourself at 00:10

Last Edited By: Fast Midfielder Jan 26 15 5:07 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#138 [url]

Jan 29 15 8:04 PM

Guinea are the last team into the Quarter-Finals against Ghana, after their ranking against Mali was decided in a hotel room: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31047060

Cameroon letting the side down in Group D there, just one goal and it would have been a 4-way lot draw. CAF have reacted to the outrage (that of course has happened in spite of the rules being there from the start), by claiming they are looking into alternatives for 2017. Surely the best solution if the two teams are playing each other (as they were) is a penalty shoot-out once they know the result of the synchronised other match. The UEFA Euros has this rule in place for such a situation, as would have happened in the famous Turkey v Czech Republic match in 2008.

And if Ivory Coast v Cameroon was also 1-1, both matches could have continued to shootouts, both winners progressing and the lots coming into play to determine the order of the remaining tied teams.

Also to look forward to in the Quarter-Finals this weekend, favourites Algeria and Ivory Coast play, Tunisia face hosts Equatorial Guinea, and Congo play (DR) Congo. The last one will be an interesting one for the commentators to handle...

Quote    Reply   

#139 [url]

Jan 30 15 10:04 AM

Soviet Union were even unluckier at the 1968 European Championship, when they were eliminated by a coin toss after a dramatic semifinal versus Italy in Naples.
Saint Januarius probably did the miracle that night...

Quote    Reply   

#140 [url]

Jan 30 15 1:43 PM

mattsanger92 wrote:
Surely the best solution if the two teams are playing each other (as they were) is a penalty shoot-out
It's amused me reading the comments from various officials, coaches etc, that somehow lots are "unfair" and penalty shootouts are more fair, and less of a lottery.    Nonsense!

mattsanger92 wrote:
And if Ivory Coast v Cameroon was also 1-1, both matches could have continued to shootouts, both winners progressing and the lots coming into play to determine the order of the remaining tied teams.
This works only if two teams (playing each other last) are tied, or if all 4 teams are.  If A and C are tied after final matches A-B and C-D then you'd need A and C to meet up again for a shootout.  To preempt this, why not just have a shootout at the end of every draw anyway, in case it's needed later on.  

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help