Remove this ad

TheRoonBa

#141 [url]

Jan 31 15 12:37 PM

I think that shootouts are probably thought of as being less of a lottery because there is some physical element of control that the players can exert over the outcome (i.e., if they kick the ball in the goal, they help their team, if they miss, they don't, etc.), whereas drawing of lots is not really in the same category, as no matter how skilfully the representative thrusts his hand into the bowl, he really has no way of knowing if his skill in using his thumb's opposability has allowed him to grasp the correct ball. A 'fixed' lottery (where the representative knew which ball to pick) would give him complete control, and the only thing stopping victory would be if the representative had sudden and complete amnesia, or if he had the manual dexterity of a nervous wreck wearing an oven glove.

Last Edited By: TheRoonBa Jan 31 15 12:40 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#143 [url]

Jan 31 15 10:37 PM

Mauritius. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rajindraparsad_Seechurn. The highlight was probably right at the end when he just blew for full time before time was up after that last fight broke out, in a stoppage time that was too short anyway.

But in fairness to Equatorial Guinea, they definitely deserved it in extra time despite getting there being controversial. They wanted it more while Tunisia were still angry and arguing at any moment. Why not try and channel that energy into a determined performance? Also, evidence from this match suggests that Javier Balboa is an absolute beast with a dead ball, perfect free kick smiley: glasses.

Don't forget about DR Congo's brilliant comeback in the first match, though... and with another upset tomorrow we could have another same-name fixture in the Semi-Finals... the battle of the Guineas...

r.e. The Lots vs. Penalties... agree completely that penalties takes more skill (particularly the 'homework' goalkeepers are known for doing). As for the 'A vs. C' scenario, the Euros only have penalties for when the two level teams are playing the last match, and have deciding measures after that for teams that aren't, with lots listed as a last resort. While they don't have penalties, even CAF's own youth tournament later this year has fair play before lots. Although Neil's other idea is being applied already by the Bandy World Championships (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bandy_World_Championship_2015#Division_A_2). Would just seem a little anti-climactic to me...

Quote    Reply   

#145 [url]

Feb 1 15 7:48 AM

Tunesia never deserved to win, they should have at least one red card before the "troubles" began...anyway a lot of emotions in the two quarterfinals

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#146 [url]

Feb 1 15 1:10 PM

pieter wrote:
Tunesia never deserved to win, they should have at least one red card before the "troubles" began...anyway a lot of emotions in the two quarterfinals

I see a lot of people writing "Tunesia", but I don't know why, as it doesn't seem to be the name in any language (except Romansch).

I think Tunisia were the better team, but they got annoyed with the referee (understandably).  Equatorial Guinea will probably be knocked out in the next round.

Quote    Reply   

#147 [url]

Feb 1 15 1:30 PM

Probably because Tunisia is in Dutch language named and written asTunesië. Which is a bit strange as the country is named after it's capital Tunis (in Dutch also Tunis), so Tunisië looks even in Dutch language more logical. But why doing the most logical things if one can do it a different way?

Quote    Reply   

#148 [url]

Feb 1 15 4:14 PM

Fun fact unless you're Tunisian: They have been eliminated after extra-time in their last 4 Quarter-Final appearances at this tournament. The time before that, they won the whole thing...

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#150 [url]

Feb 2 15 9:18 AM

I think they just struggle outside North Africa in general, and get worse the further south they play. Also, they are not one of the Top 4 teams in Africa, clearly, as they haven't qualified for the semi-finals since 2000.

2004, 2006 - tournament was in North Africa - Tunisia champions (2004, as hosts) and quarter-finalists (2006)
2015, 2012, 2008 - tournament was in West/Central Africa. Tunisia reached quarter-finals.
2010, 2013 - tournament was in Southern Africa - Tunisia eliminated at group stage.

However, they did reach the 1996 final in South Africa...

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#151 [url]

Feb 2 15 10:20 AM

Luca wrote:
On which team would you bet for the final success?

If we consider the World Cup performances, then I would bet on Algeria.

Noooo, I missed my umpteenth forecast! My predictions are always dangerous: they're not only inexact, but they also bring bad luck...! I'm going to give up!  sEm_blush.gif

TheRoonBa wrote:
I think they just struggle outside North Africa in general, and get worse the further south they play. Also, they are not one of the Top 4 teams in Africa, clearly, as they haven't qualified for the semi-finals since 2000.

2004, 2006 - tournament was in North Africa - Tunisia champions (2004, as hosts) and quarter-finalists (2006)
2015, 2012, 2008 - tournament was in West/Central Africa. Tunisia reached quarter-finals.
2010, 2013 - tournament was in Southern Africa - Tunisia eliminated at group stage.

However, they did reach the 1996 final in South Africa...

And when they were champions, they fielded two Brazilians... and one of them scored in the final.

Quote    Reply   

#152 [url]

Feb 2 15 11:13 PM

nfm24 wrote:
Kaizeler wrote:
Burkina Faso comes up as determination champion, as they perform better under a competitive environment.
Once again Mabel knows best ;-)

Mabel, what were you thinking.

Quote    Reply   

#153 [url]

Feb 3 15 9:36 AM

Attention! According a cool study of Samuel D. Gosling (University of Texas, Austin) the similarity 'dog / dog owner' increases!
What does this mean...?

Quote    Reply   

#155 [url]

Feb 7 15 7:53 PM

Hopefully that match this evening proves to be evidence that there can be 'better teams' in penalty shoot-outs, you might even go as far as to say that DR Congo were backflippin' excellent when it got to that point...

The match itself didn't go to form too much, either for Equatorial Guinea's rollercoaster tournament or 3rd-Place Play-Offs being golfests in general. EQG probably deserved the win in 90 minutes (and would have been fitting to see a medal put on their unusual run), the extra-time part is skipped (obviously in pre-tournament rules, but I never see it as too consistent to deviate from the structure of every other match like that), and DRC were the better shoot-out team. Kidiaba goes out on a high (or low, or something)...

Quote    Reply   

#158 [url]

Feb 9 15 10:41 AM

Imagine what a joy for Kolo Touré, Siaka Tiéné and "Copa". They débuted for Ivory Coast in 2000 and now, after 15 years and a lot of disappointments, they are champions!

Quote    Reply   

#160 [url]

Feb 9 15 12:35 PM

did any team deserved this sad, dull game

they waited for the penaltys since the first minute, poor African football

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help