Remove this ad

Lead

Sep 20 13 9:50 PM

Tags : :

Noticed threads in this section for movies and music, but nothing for the other other form of mass media, so with this week having had the release of the biggest title in history by sales (and quality-wise the best thing to come out of Scotland since short bread smiley: wink), now might a good time to begin a discussion on video games if you play them.
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Sep 21 13 4:35 AM

I played video games only from 1991-94, and I see no need to deviate from this era as providing the best games, which are definitively and indisputably as follows:

9. Final Fight
8. Road Rash
7. Wonder Boy III (Monster Lair)
6. Battletoads
5. Cadillacs and Dinosaurs
4. Earthworm Jim
3. Desert Strike
2. Toe Jam and Earl
1. Hellfire

Games where you spend the first 2 hours simply defining your own character or setting up your preferences are clearly ridiculous.

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Sep 21 13 12:09 PM

Might be (probably is) a generational thing, but I have only ever heard of the top 4 on your list out of that lot, and even then by name only. I sort of get what you mean by the 2 hours of set-up, but most modern games are fairly 'pick up and play' from my experience (an exception for customisable RPGs, which I generally stay away from). It's the 'installation time' and long/annoying tutorial levels on familiar franchises that you need to watch out for now...

Last Edited By: mattsanger92 Sep 21 13 12:14 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Sep 23 13 9:04 AM

I've always liked video games: I could write a book about them!

My first console was "Sega Master System II" in the earliest 1990s. My favourite games were Alex Kidd in Miracle World, Sonic and, above all, Super Kick Off and Ayrton Senna's Super Monaco GP II. But I'm sure I'm forgetting other titles. What a nostalgy...

In 1997 I met "Playstation". I remember with great pleasure FIFA: Road to World Cup 98: I spent entire days playing at it... Then I liked very much Batman & Robin, Colin McRae Rally, Pro Evolution Soccer and many other games.

In 2011 I bought "Playstation III". I have both FIFA 12 and FIFA 13, but I think I'm the worst player on earth. In the online mode, I always lost, I conceded too many goals so I just gave up. Therefore I prefer playing in the "friendly" mode, where I use the Classic XI team. I always challenge Barcelona in the "legend" level, but I keep losing. I've won only three or four matches in all...

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Sep 23 13 7:02 PM

The PlayStation 1 was my first console as well, always enjoyed the Tekken series, and FIFA '98 was my first memory of a football game (may have been a few years after its release, and I can't remember other games before that), first time I really got interested in different countries football-wise.

And you're nowhere near the worst player in the world if you're winning on 'Legendary' mode, by the way, I usually stick to 'Professional' and have a fairly average record (usually win or draw), while I'm still able to hold my own most of the time online.

Depends who you're playing against, though, some of the excessive gamers or people out to deliberately ruin it for everyone else (friendly fire, etc.) can suck the fun out of it all, but it does make it all the sweeter if you beat them.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#5 [url]

Sep 24 13 2:28 AM

I've never been a fan of video games at all. I grew up in the time when video games were just coming out, and they were always in my house - my brothers and sister played them a lot more than I did, and I only really played if they needed an extra player. There seems to be a calculated obsession nowadays with 'completing' games, which usually involves downloading some 'cheats' or 'cracks', which actually means you haven't completed the game, because you've cheated. But people get their kicks in different ways I guess...

Oh, incidentally, bread in Scotland is the same length as bread in other parts of the UK (shortbread is one word). smiley: laugh

The best thing to come out of Scotland ever will be the Conservatives, next year, when we vote for independence. smiley: grin

Last Edited By: TheRoonBa Sep 24 13 2:32 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Sep 24 13 9:49 AM

TheRoonBa wrote:
The best thing to come out of Scotland ever will be the Conservatives, next year, when we vote for independence. smiley: grin

May I add also Mark Knopfler, a rock'n'roll god sCh_guitarist.gif ?

mattsanger92 wrote:
And you're nowhere near the worst player in the world if you're winning on 'Legendary' mode, by the way, I usually stick to 'Professional' and have a fairly average record (usually win or draw), while I'm still able to hold my own most of the time online.

Ok, but 3 wins out of 500 matches is not a reassuring average sEm_blush2.gif
Anyway, I'm actually more competitive in the friendly mode than in the online one, because the Classic XI, that I usually use, is definitely the most powerful team in FIFA.

mattsanger92 wrote:
FIFA '98 was my first memory of a football game (may have been a few years after its release, and I can't remember other games before that), first time I really got interested in different countries football-wise.

FIFA 98 was definitely an unforgettable title. I remember with great pleasure a formidable player of Toronto called "K. Robert". He was one of the most rated forwards of that game. Whatever team I used, I always bought him. I've never managed to understand who this guy was, whether he really existed or not. Together with Marco Pantani, he was the hero of my 1998 summer  sHa_biggrin.gif

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Sep 24 13 7:42 PM

Luca wrote:
Ok, but 3 wins out of 500 matches is not a reassuring average sEm_blush2.gif

Might I suggest once in a while enjoying the complete and utter domination 'Amateur' mode usually brings? You'll probably find at least a reversal of your statistic...

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Sep 25 13 1:15 AM

Actually my first post was not 100% true. If you count pub quiz-machine games as video games, then I have played quite a considerable amount.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#11 [url]

Sep 26 13 9:03 AM

What taste is there in winning in the "amateur" level icon_wink.gif ?

The "legendary" level is much more exciting. When you play against Barcelona, the atmosphere recalls the one of the real football matches. I remember, last year, when I stormed Camp Nou for the first time thanks a Roger Milla's goal, I celebrated like José Mourinho in 2010 icon_smile.gif

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Sep 26 13 10:39 PM

nfm24 wrote:
Roger Milla scored for you last year ? So he was 60 years old ?

There or therabouts, that team (Classic XI) also allows you to select the reanimated corpse of Giacinto Facchetti, amongst others...

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Sep 27 13 7:07 AM

To vote I suppose you can register (for official purposes) that you now live with your parents.  But in practice, remain where you are.
I did this when my parents lived in the US while I was at Cambridge, my registered "home address" was at my granny's house in Scotland but in practice I lived at the university.

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

Sep 28 13 9:02 AM

Noooo, in FIFA 14 there isn't the Classic XI team...! How can I go on without my companions in misfortune Zico, Milla, Völler and so on...?  sSa_sad.gif

Quote    Reply   

#18 [url]

Sep 28 13 2:18 PM

I may know nothing about games which aren't contained within a chunky plastic cartridge, but could it be that you have to "unlock" that feature?

Quote    Reply   

#19 [url]

Sep 29 13 8:42 AM

What a pity, it's available only for Xbox One. So I've to play in the online mode again, where obviously I keep on losing...
I have half a mind to begin playing at FIFA 98 again, where at least I was competitive...

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help