Remove this ad

#21 [url]

Sep 30 13 4:53 PM

Luca wrote:
What a pity, it's available only for Xbox One.

Shame, looks like part of a deal Microsoft have with EA Sports this year. They'll need all the help they can get pushing that console, their marketing has been horrendous so far and they deserve every lost sale.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#23 [url]

Oct 4 13 10:40 AM

Anyone here who used to play football management games? FM in particular.

I was once a big fan of the series and had a short comeback when FM 2010 was released (custom leagues having been made easy).

As I grew older, however, I understood that no amount of gaming enjoyment can replace watching real football action unfold. More so since FM is basically a static environment that gets boring after a few competition cycles. Sure, after a few hundred years the law of big numbers can cast Man Utd down into the Conference, or make San Marino win the World Cup, but the in-game world is mostly dominated by the same teams and countries all over. Plus there is a bug (or feature?) that makes the World Cup to be hosted only by the recent hosts, and in a pre-determined sequence to boot. Now (in FM 2013) Qatar has a guaranteed WC place every 20 years or so, while they could hardly have qualified in the previous versions.

Quote    Reply   

#24 [url]

Oct 5 13 5:33 PM

I still do play Football Manager, although I don't usually get too invested in it, the furthest I ever played as a club team was just over one season with Inter Milan, I prefer the 'challenge' mode they now have. I like the editor a lot given how powerful it is with a huge database (apparently used by professional teams), hopefully this year they'll have more options for international football though.

I tried FIFA 14 online recently as well, and scored what would have easily been a 'goal of the season' if it was in real life smiley: grin. Unfortunately the game in its infinite wisdom does not seem able to distinguish what is worthy of its saveable highlight reel (a few 'saves' and 'misses' were chosen instead), so my tight-angled scissor-kick with Luiz Adriano (think of the famous Marco Van Basten volley for position but on the left side with left foot) is lost forever. I lost that game on penalties after a 2-2 draw (Shakhtar Donetsk v Real Madrid), just to add some credibility to that story...

Last Edited By: mattsanger92 Oct 5 13 5:37 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#25 [url]

Oct 6 13 8:46 AM

I understand what you mean. In FIFA 12 I wanted to save a wonderful Víctor Valdés' save, but I couldn't because the action wasn't recorded among the final highlights. Unbelievable! It was a formidable save, very similar to the one of Gordon Banks versus Pelé in 1970!

As to the managerial games, I remember with pleasure a PC game called "PC Fútbol 2001". I have a long experience about video games, but I keep thinking that was one of the best titles I've ever used. Too bad that now it's no longer produced...

Quote    Reply   

#26 [url]

Jul 20 14 9:17 AM

Even if in late, I've been able to buy 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil. It does really seem an excellent game under every point of view.
I hope to unlock the Classic XI team, but
I don't know yet what I have to do...
In spite of passion and engagement, I fear I'm not cut out for this kind of games. At FIFA 14, my "best" result in the online mode were the Division VII and the Cup quarter-finals... icon_redface.gif

Quote    Reply   

#27 [url]

Jul 20 14 10:49 AM

I'm not sure what your problem is (you play on PS3, right?). I have the game on that console and had access to the Classic team from the start, I think they have to be bought on the in-game 'EAFC Catalogue', I had plenty of 'Coins' left over from FIFA 14 for all the unlockable teams and kits, etc..

As a game, though, I've not been that impressed with this World Cup version, I think they actually made their best effort with the 2010 tournament. How they can take out Penalty Shoot-Out mode is beyond me. The main problem I have is probably more to do with my console than anything else, though, it seems to now treat EA Sports games (and EA Sports games only) terribly when it is 'over-heated', players failing to control the ball properly, losing the ball almost any time you come into contact with a defender (as in challenges you would put down as '50-50'), and opposition attackers becoming immovable bricks (that can't be tackled until it is too late). Basically it seems to add around one difficulty level on top of what you select.

Quote    Reply   

#28 [url]

Jul 21 14 6:26 PM

mattsanger92 wrote:
I'm not sure what your problem is (you play on PS3, right?). I have the game on that console and had access to the Classic team from the start, I think they have to be bought on the in-game 'EAFC Catalogue', I had plenty of 'Coins' left over from FIFA 14 for all the unlockable teams and kits, etc..

Thanks, I've been able to unlock the Classic XI team and a lot of historical kits. I have antoher question, as I'm still far from being skilled with this game: can I use the historical kits in the online mode? Now they are unavailable... I can use them only in the offline matches...

mattsanger92 wrote:
As a game, though, I've not been that impressed with this World Cup version, I think they actually made their best effort with the 2010 tournament. How they can take out Penalty Shoot-Out mode is beyond me. The main problem I have is probably more to do with my console than anything else, though, it seems to now treat EA Sports games (and EA Sports games only) terribly when it is 'over-heated', players failing to control the ball properly, losing the ball almost any time you come into contact with a defender (as in challenges you would put down as '50-50'), and opposition attackers becoming immovable bricks (that can't be tackled until it is too late). Basically it seems to add around one difficulty level on top of what you select.
An aspect I don't like is the fact that I normally choose the substitutes before every World Cup match, but then, when I have to make a substitution during the game, I discover those players I had called up are not in the bench. It seems the computer decides automatically the players who stay in the bench...!

Quote    Reply   

#29 [url]

Jul 21 14 10:24 PM

Luca wrote:
 I discover those players I had called up are not in the bench.

Sounds like Ghana's problems in the World Cup.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#30 [url]

Jul 22 14 7:01 PM

Luca wrote:
Thanks, I've been able to unlock the Classic XI team and a lot of historical kits. I have antoher question, as I'm still far from being skilled with this game: can I use the historical kits in the online mode? Now they are unavailable... I can use them only in the offline matches...

An aspect I don't like is the fact that I normally choose the substitutes before every World Cup match, but then, when I have to make a substitution during the game, I discover those players I had called up are not in the bench. It seems the computer decides automatically the players who stay in the bench...!
Not sure about the kits, the matches I've played have only let me use the most recent kits of the team (so for tournament teams, no qualifying kits, although opponents seem to be able to manage it). The substitution thing is annoying (alongside the fact that there are only 7, and that they play squad numbers over 23, the game's biggest realism problems for me smiley: mad) but not a huge deal due to no-one really pausing for substitutions, breaks up the flow of the game a little.

My biggest problem with the online mode is how some football players are ridiculously overpowered, or rather, how game players use that as a crutch to help them win. My attempts at playing a team game with the likes of Chile/Peru/Sweden/Japan are often undone by the abuse of sprint speed / long-range shot power of Ronaldo/Bale/Ibrahimovic/Rodriguez (the last one conveniently occurring after the World Cup).

For the record, I did take the odd shot from distance with Ibrahimovic without a goal to show for it, but think I hit a balance by trying more of a team game (they're probably better off this way, I saw Sweden play in the flesh this summer and 'Ibra' was anonymous). My personal best and only successful long-range goal in this game came in the Scenario Mode as Colombia, which you will hopefully be able to marvel at below. I like to keep record whenever there is a goal worth keeping record of:

http://www.easports.com/uk/fifa/football-club/2014-fifa-world-cup/media/PS3/mattsanger92/fwc_2014/video/192905141

Quote    Reply   

#31 [url]

Jul 24 14 6:43 PM

mattsanger92 wrote:
My attempts at playing a team game with the likes of Chile/Peru/Sweden/Japan are often undone by the abuse of sprint speed / long-range shot power of Ronaldo/Bale/Ibrahimovic/Rodriguez (the last one conveniently occurring after the World Cup).

And Manuel Neuer is so invincible that he looks like a cross between Superman and Spiderman...! The biggest difference between 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil and FIFA 14 I've noticed is the following: in FIFA 14 I often used second-class teams, but their level was terrific. Players weren't able to effect two precise passes consecutively and their ball control left much to be desired. In 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil, instead, I often use "minnows", but I can say their level is generally satisfying. I think 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil is more "arcade" than FIFA 14 (I don't know whether the term "arcade" is used in English. It means more or less when players' errors are softened).

mattsanger92 wrote:
My personal best and only successful long-range goal in this game came in the Scenario Mode as Colombia, which you will hopefully be able to marvel at below. I like to keep record whenever there is a goal worth keeping record of:

http://www.easports.com/uk/fifa/football-club/2014-fifa-world-cup/media/PS3/mattsanger92/fwc_2014/video/192905141

Another point where 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil is not perfect is the "final highlights" options. I don't know why, but a lot of great saves and goals often aren't saved! But this is also a FIFA 14 imperfection.

Quote    Reply   

#33 [url]

Jul 25 14 8:28 AM

TheRoonBa wrote:
Luca wrote:
 in FIFA 14 I often used second-class teams, but their level was terrific

Do you mean "terrible" (i.e. bad?).  Terrific means good.

sEm_oops.gif

Quote    Reply   

#34 [url]

Jul 26 14 3:46 PM

'Arcade' is a word used in that context in English, perhaps leaning a little more towards not being as grounded in realism as a 'simulation' game.

In other words, being able to use the walls to help you along the Monaco GP track without damage on a racing game would be a very 'arcade' approach, but trying that in a more realistic game would not get you past the first few corners... so in a roundabout way, yes, 'arcade' settings are more forgiving of errors. Unless you are playing with checkpoints, time limits, etc...

Quote    Reply   

#38 [url]

Jul 17 15 10:01 PM

Ouch. Did you play the Qualifiers on each attempt as well, as that would be extra bitter...

I've had a similar experience in Rocket League on offline seasons mode, since you control just one car on your team (go Dragons! smiley: nerd) all your MVP-worthy efforts can get undone from an AI teammate deciding to dribble in an own goal from the halfway line... in sudden-death overtime smiley: mad.

Seasons involve 10 teams over 18 '4v4' games, top 4 make the playoffs, which I failed to make 3 seasons in a row (one time was 1 win away, another time 2 wins, and another on goal difference smiley: frown). 4th time's a charm, though, finished 2nd and ended up winning the final 4-2 while scoring a hat-trick... that's the stuff knighthoods are made of right?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help