Remove this ad

Lead

Oct 8 13 9:28 PM

Tags : :

So apparently Wembley Stadium will now play host to 3 NFL regular-season games each year as of 2014 (http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/american-football-london-host-three-regular-season-games-195340504--nfl.html).

Once is a fun novelty, two is pushing it, fill in the rest...

Even accounting for obvious cultural differences, an especially cringeworthy quote from NFL commissioner Roger Goodell: "Our fans in the UK have continued to demonstrate that they love football and want more."

Edit - In other news, I wouldn't have made this my 300th post if I remembered beforehand that I was on 299...

Last Edited By: mattsanger92 Oct 8 13 9:35 PM. Edited 4 times

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

TheRoonBa

#4 [url]

Oct 15 13 5:39 PM

nfm24 wrote:
I'll wait until you get to 399 and then delete 100.

Why don't you wait till he gets to 399, delete 100, then prohibit him from posting, and laugh villainously while stroking an overly fluffy white cat as he frustratedly attempts to submit his 300th post?

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Feb 2 14 12:44 PM

So ahead of the first-ever cold-weather Super Bowl tonight (nicknamed 'the Bong Bowl' for the teams taking part), apparently this has been a big 'controversial' story in the NFL over a player's over-the-top reaction to... making the winning play smiley: eek.

Sportsmanship, discuss. For the record, I hope his team loses tonight, but only because a certain animated comedy series gave me a soft spot for their opponents.

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Feb 2 14 5:12 PM

Well people motivate themselves in different ways I suppose.
The most interesting thing about the Superbowl is that one of the players is deaf, so I'm intrigued to know how he know which play the team follows after each down (or whatever the correct terminology is).

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#9 [url]

Feb 2 14 5:21 PM

I don't like it when people in the UK say they love the Superbowl when they've no idea what happened in the 256-game regular season that preceded it. That's like saying "I love the World Cup final".

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Feb 2 14 6:42 PM

At least it's a small season in comparison. I get what you mean, but I think the Super Bowl is a different case just because of the spectacle, none of the other 'big 4' leagues in America have a single game to decide the champions and they really go all-out with it, an international football tournament's final just feels like the final of that tournament (bigger but still 'part' of it), Super Bowls are huge compared to the rest of a season.

I don't have the time to watch every NFL game possible (even if I was interested), so the biggest game (and maybe the London ones which are more accessible) would be where I make exceptions, but I appreciate the (lightweight) journey to get them there, and I have checked the standings/play-off results every few weeks so I have a basic idea of what's happening, going into detail on statistics, etc. is for the hardcore/obsessed over here.

It's not like jumping in for the Super Bowl is a UK-only thing, though, you'll find a lot of viewers in America are not even casual ones and just appear for the party, food, celebrities, and those all-important commercials... America at its most American.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#11 [url]

Aug 20 14 5:54 PM

Just when you thought the NFL couldn't get any more greedy... apparently Super Bowl halftime singers might have to pay to have that position as of next year's event.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2168370-nfl-reportedly-asking-potential-super-bowl-halftime-acts-to-pay-to-perform

I can sort of understand where it's coming from in a business sense (pay for the chance to raise profile in front of 9-figure TV audience, etc.), but it sounds like a ridiculous thing to ask an act to do. The way it was said to be going beforehand (no payment either way, NFL cover travel & staging) sounds perfect, mutually beneficial.

Also, until someone proves me wrong, I am safely assuming that this 'pay to perform' idea has never occurred for entertainers anywhere in 'real football'...

Last Edited By: mattsanger92 Aug 20 14 6:02 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

Aug 20 14 7:57 PM

Ah, capitalism.

Do they just take the highest bidder then, not the most appropriate act? So if we start a campaign to get the Wurzels to play the Superbowl, it could happen?

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Aug 21 14 2:14 AM

Such poetic lyrics, they get me every time. No wonder it was a number 1, beating efforts from Diana Ross, Rolling Stones, Abba etc...

If for any reason the Wurzels are already booked that day, and Chas n Dave are unavailable to cover, I would suggest Renee and Renato to open, followed by Alvin Stardust, then as the grand finale, a duet with Charles Aznavour and Scatman John. It's about time those yanks got a taste of proper music.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#16 [url]

Aug 21 14 5:03 PM

Obviously, this was back in the day when haystacks were a source of pride for women.

On that rather sexist note - it's obviously an almost entirely male pursuit this rabid sports results research.  I don't remember ever seeing a female on here, or on any other forums or discussions regarding collecting football results.  It seems women have this enviable ability to just 'forget' about such inconsequential things as football results, thus freeing up their lives for more fruitful pursuits, such as trying to understand men who collect sports results.

Last Edited By: TheRoonBa Aug 21 14 5:05 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Aug 21 14 5:43 PM

nfm24 wrote:
Such poetic lyrics, they get me every time. No wonder it was a number 1, beating efforts from Diana Ross, Rolling Stones, Abba etc...

If for any reason the Wurzels are already booked that day, and Chas n Dave are unavailable to cover, I would suggest Renee and Renato to open, followed by Alvin Stardust, then as the grand finale, a duet with Charles Aznavour and Scatman John. It's about time those yanks got a taste of proper music.

"CAAAAAAAAM OOON FEEEENEXX! Y'OOOOOOOOOROIIIIIII'?!" smiley: laugh. Time to teach Arizona how to speak propar wes'rn...

I have a bad-to-terrible level of music knowledge so you lost me after Chas n Dave, but I'll safely assume that these are also acts that do the upmost to confuse the hell out of a country that had to subtitle Susan Boyle (and thought about it for Ant & Dec, Cheryl Cole, etc.) for making a mockery of their language...

The RoonBa - Keep at it, you're far more likely to find a woman with this as a hobby than one doing, say... LARPing, or whatever the biggest outcast subject of the month is. And for the record, some of the more extreme modern female interests are the reason things like Hello! magazine and Inside Soap block half the shelves, so console yourself with that or something.

Quote    Reply   

#18 [url]

Aug 22 14 12:14 AM

TheRoonBa wrote:
Obviously, this was back in the day when haystacks were a source of pride for women.
Surely an inexhaustible supply of cider was the main attraction.

TheRoonBa wrote:
On that rather sexist note - it's obviously an almost entirely male pursuit this rabid sports results research.
Hmm, is there some well-studied phenomenon that women are less obsessed than men, in general?   Or just obsessed with other things?  I suggest you procure funding from some mental health organization to investigate OCD and other obsessive behaviour (e.g. anorexia).  But actually we'll just squander the money on going to the library to obsessively look up football scores... oh the irony.

At libraries I've been to, I would say over 50% of the staff are female, and there are roughly as many female researchers as males.

TheRoonBa wrote:
It seems women have this enviable ability to just 'forget' about such inconsequential things as football results, thus freeing up their lives for more fruitful pursuits, such as trying to understand men who collect sports results.

Deep.  But if there is one thing I have learned about women, it is that they don't easily forget...

Quote    Reply   

#19 [url]

Aug 22 14 8:07 PM

Back on the previous topic - overall history suggests that The Wurzels wouldn't have too much trouble getting that place in a halftime show that once employed Disney's Goofy as one of the headliners:

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

Sep 28 14 10:31 PM

So this week ahead of the first of 3 'London specials' in the NFL this year, executives claimed they will move a franchise to London by 2022. Probably not a huge challenge logistically considering coast-to-coast games are played in America, but surely they at least want to see if UK interest can be sustained with the new 3-game-a-year idea before they make these suggestions?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/american-football/29391069

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help