Remove this ad

#21 [url]

Sep 28 14 10:44 PM

It should obviously be a Europe team rather than a London team, and play matches all over Europe rather than just in London. Do we really have to spell it out for them?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#22 [url]

Sep 29 14 5:47 PM

Probably, I'd give good odds that they'd try overselling a franchise over here by calling a London team the Lions (taken), Monarchs (been done), Royals, or something equally cringe-worthy (love those names, but not in this context), complete with a blue-white-red kit just to prove how British the team is despite being almost entirely made up of American players. Blitz or Bulldogs might work... maybe, but so would keeping the name & colours of a franchise that already exists, like the 'London Raiders' or something.

The Europe idea is a good one, and would take the strain off a London stadium, but the NFL would probably manage that concept even worse, and it wouldn't help the average American's geography knowledge. "Yeah, we're playing the New York Giants next week, then the Europe Jaguars the week after" smiley: eyes.

Quote    Reply   

#24 [url]

Sep 29 14 10:40 PM

As I lived in Houston when the "Houston Texans" franchise was moved there, the analogy could be "London English" or "London Brits"

What about London Redcoats?

Quote    Reply   

#25 [url]

Sep 30 14 7:11 PM

nfm24 wrote:
As I lived in Houston when the "Houston Texans" franchise was moved there, the analogy could be "London English" or "London Brits"

What about London Redcoats?
Probably would be a sore spot still. There's been a minority movement only starting to get real attention a few years ago over the Washington Redskins' name, something tells me it wouldn't go down to well the other way around. The Redskins owner is firmly against a name change, South Park took their best shots at it recently:

Are Houston's team one of the likely ones to move? The London Texans has an even more brilliantly confusing ring to it, I'd love to see a team come to London/Europe with a misplaced name, like the Flint Tropics, or the LA Lakers...

P.S. The Montreal Canadiens also have a redundant name, but do they get a pass for historical value?

Quote    Reply   

#26 [url]

Oct 1 14 12:10 AM

Canadiens get a point for trying to force unwilling football jocks to speak French, albeit only one word. Also they get a point for reminding everybody else of their non-Frenchness.

I see your confusing geographical non-sequitur name, and raise you an inappropriately hybrid retro name, e.g. Royal Moscow Go Ahead Old Carthusians, or
Dukla Oslo Thistle Cricket and Football Club.

Quote    Reply   

#29 [url]

Jan 1 15 4:02 PM

So back on the Super Bowl topic, it looks like the season's now reached the stage where the best teams remain (sort of, that conference system means that the worst team in one group almost had enough wins to top another smiley: eyes) to play a straight play-off on the road to the final.

At one game per round, looks like they have a surprisingly European way of deciding winners rather than the elongated 'best-of-7' seen in baseball, basketball, and ice hockey...

Quote    Reply   

#30 [url]

Jan 9 15 9:19 PM

Looking at the current play-off round, looks like every single game will be played in a city associated with freezing cold weather at this point in the year. One of them, Cowboys v Packers, is apparently the first time a play-off game between the two has happened at the Packers' stadium since 1967 with a game later known as "Ice Bowl", temperatures reaching -26°C in real money, and a 'wind chill' of up to almost double:

Weather forecasts and media hyperbole have led to the 2015 game being titled "Ice Bowl II", but likely to end up as a poor imitation.

If there's one thing the NFL can be praised for over normal football, it's their determination to not postpone or cancel their games in spite of what nature throws up...

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#31 [url]

Jan 11 15 8:28 PM

mattsanger92 wrote:
If there's one thing the NFL can be praised for over normal football, it's their determination to not postpone or cancel their games in spite of what nature throws up...

A combination of greed, stubbornness and stupidity.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#32 [url]

Jan 12 15 5:24 AM

nfm24 wrote:
mattsanger92 wrote:

I've never seen those three things combined in sports administration before...

Quote    Reply   

#33 [url]

Jan 17 15 2:21 PM

nfm24 wrote:
Maybe today, but in fairness to the Ice Bowl example, they could have played it the next weekend and potentially made no loss (other than additional hotel/travel costs for the Cowboys), considering this was before the days of major broadcasting coverage (no full footage of the game remains). All that mattered at the time would be getting fans to buy tickets, which I'm sure they would have done for a championship game.

Quote    Reply   

#34 [url]

Jan 22 15 9:58 PM

In current news, the Super Bowl not featuring the Worzels will be played between the Seahawks and the Patriots, the former through a huge late comeback with overtime rules I don't understand the fairness of, the latter with a big win but investigations of cheating by deflating balls.

Any punishment they get will not include disqualification because they won convincingly regardless: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/american-football/30914316

Quote    Reply   

#36 [url]

Jan 23 15 5:40 PM

The Washington Redskins have ongoing controversy over their name, it could be a perfect match. Alliteration, (relatively) close proximity to Western England, and all that...

Quote    Reply   

#39 [url]

Feb 3 15 8:20 PM

Super Bowl recap: No Wurzels. Also, the defending champion Seattle Seahawks somehow lose to the New England Patriots.

Not that the Patriots are a bad side based on their ranking, but more how the Seahawks didn't win with this:

I'm no expert at all, but even if it ended up working that seemed like the most stupid decision you could possibly make in that situation. Surely you don't risk throwing the ball when you have an all-star player nicknamed 'Beast Mode' to carry it a few steps. 

Quote    Reply   

#40 [url]

Feb 3 15 10:16 PM

It looks like ants running around on a green ruler.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help