Remove this ad

TheRoonBa

#41 [url]

Feb 4 15 11:45 PM

nfm24 wrote:
It looks like ants running around on a green ruler.

American football was invented when entomologists and geometrists needed a way to resolve their disputes about the straightness of insect antennae.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#43 [url]

Jan 27 16 8:05 PM

Also hooray for Twickenham who will also be releasing some of the heavy burden on the Wembley turf. That starts this year when they host a game of the St. Louis Los Angeles Rams, whose owner caused outrage the other week by moving his team to multiply their value in a closed-market model that is known for doing that kind of thing.

Although the taxpayers of St. Louis are apparently having to pay off costs on said owner's stadium for several years despite the team not being there (and none of the Rams' $550m 'relocation fee' charged by the NFL (surely they just need to get a biro out and update the address) going to help what looks like an obvious cost of relocation), American sports is truly a bizzare thing the rest of the world will never understand.

Quote    Reply   

#44 [url]

Feb 21 16 11:37 AM

A couple of weeks late but congratulations to the Denver Broncos, winners of the Super Bowl 50 Golden Spectacular™ against the Carolina Panthers. Apparently a huge upset win based on all the pre-game talk that assumed the Panthers just had to show up against the "#1 defence in the league".

From what I could tell, the Panthers were just a good team in good form but unproven in big games, hardly some epic dynasty being toppled by a plucky minnow (if you could call any NFL franchise a 'plucky minnow' smiley: eyes), real football doesn't even have to get out of bed to provide a bigger upset. Also, provided the concussions haven't knocked the sense out of him, old man Peyton Manning needs to retire now, even I could see his age is showing, plus there's that whole 'going out with a trophy' factor.

And according to the BBC coverage, Martin O'Neill and Roy Keane treated themselves to a trip to San Francisco for the game. No word yet on how this will impact their planning for Euro 2016...

Quote    Reply   

#45 [url]

Feb 21 16 4:04 PM

mattsanger92 wrote:
Martin O'Neill and Roy Keane treated themselves to a trip to San Francisco for the game. No word yet on how this will impact their planning for Euro 2016...
From what I saw of Ireland in the qualifiers, they were very much following a NFL approach e.g. fielding a team of mostly big thugs with a couple of small fast guys thrown in, and hopefully chucking the ball forward for them to chase.  Long toe punts were also a major feature.

In terms of football technique, Ireland were by far the worst team in the group (and I include Gibraltar in that).

Quote    Reply   

#46 [url]

Sep 21 16 5:22 PM

"Please rise for the national anthem."

Anyone got an opinion on that whole Colin Kaepernick business?

Or to start on a little less touchy note, the whole business of Americans playing their national anthem before every single sporting event no matter what the sport, age group, or level of competition, unlike most of the world who reserve it only for international matches and domestic finals.

Has been taken as normal by them for so long to the point that anyone who dares defy it has hell to pay in the media, but when you stop and think about it it's the kind of culture you'd expect to see in North Korea. Apparently there was a pre-season football game in San Jose this summer between Arsenal and Chivas Guadalajara, where the players had to stand and observe the American anthem while the English/Mexican ones were apparently not included in the package (not that I'd agree with anthems being played anyway for what is basically a glorified marketing exercise, but surely fairness dictates all are played if one of them is)...

Quote    Reply   

#47 [url]

Sep 21 16 8:54 PM

It's just a kind of insecurity. America has always been like a neurotic dog permanently seeking attention and reassurance that it's still your favourite - the ubiquitous anthem is just the equivalent of the daily ritual of the dog presenting you with its favourite toy and shoving it into your crotch until you agree to play with it. If you refuse, it sulks and then probably sh*ts on the carpet later. That's also why it does all those ridiculous things when out of the house, e.g. barking at postmen, eating filth and then vomiting (and then eating its own filthy vomit) and rolling in fetid rotting bird carcasses. It's all a misguided attempt to impress us. Its greatest fear is to be left alone to think for itself.

There is nothing more likely to make something lose its meaning than forcing everybody to recite it mindlessly.

There is nothing more likely to make something lose its meaning than forcing everybody to recite it mindlessly.

I am a cider drinker, I drinks it all of the day

Quote    Reply   

#48 [url]

Sep 23 16 7:10 PM

One day those Americans will learn all about that new combine harvester... at least it'll go down well in Kansas or something...

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#49 [url]

Jan 13 17 8:47 PM

Less than a year on after the St. Louis Rams became Los Angelicised, the San Diego Chargers have done the same. Both franchises have used the rationale that they used to be based in Los Angeles before going to their current cities, though in the Chargers' case that previous stay was only one year, their first one.

The Chargers seem to be making a bit of a hash of their move though, as until their new shared stadium with the Rams is finished, in an ironic twist on the norm for the USA they will be renting out a football stadium, the StubHub Center, rather than using the larger place that the Rams are currently borrowing. Nice bit of money for LA Galaxy, but with a 30,000 capacity that's almost half of the next-smallest NFL stadium, a pretty pathetic mark on the league's 'everything is bigger' image...

Quote    Reply   

#51 [url]

Jan 14 17 12:37 PM

Yep, It's bizzare that they didn't try one of the many larger stadiums in the Los Angeles Area, apparently the practice is a bit dated now but baseball stadiums have doubled up for NFL before. Or maybe they did try those bigger places and got rejected, which would say a lot about how well-planned this move is from a member of supposedly the most profit-driven group in the sporting world.

If NFL stadiums were European (doesn't even need that part though really), UEFA would put almost all of them near the top of the list for potential Champions League final venues. LA Galaxy's ground on the other hand they'd barely consider for the Europa League final...

Huge win for soccer over there by proxy though, won't stop the American traditionalists from belittling the game and continuing to cheer only for 'real football', but it's a long-overdue slice of humble pie for the league to be appearing as rent-paying guests at such a 'tiny' stadium belonging to a team from an 'inferior sport'...

Quote    Reply   

#52 [url]

Jan 27 17 8:14 PM

Coming soon live from Houston: Super Bowl LI (or 51 if you don't like their use of fauxman numerals) - Patriots v Falcons. Still no Wurzels to perform halftime, it's going to be Lady Gaga. Recent Trumptastic events and her knack of performing attention-seeking stunts combined with being a known activist is a recipe for some kind of huge headline-making incident occuring... that or the NFL and many sponsors will nix it in advance.

Interesting to see at this time of year just what it takes to put on the most ridiculously bloated single-game extravaganza on the planet, the results, predictably, are a ridiculously bloated list of requirements. FIFA have their hosting rules but I don't think they've gone as far as requesting that their executives have on-demand private use of the city's finest bowling and golf facilities...

Quote    Reply   

#53 [url]

Feb 6 17 6:33 PM

So... look at that scoreboard and try and think of a bigger collapse in a big game in any sport.

But as much as he is given stick for being the poster boy of the most unlikeable team, credit to Tom Brady for eventually showing why he's now won 5 Super Bowls, and at almost age 40. Although the league should probably investigate him for his use of performance-enhancing pyjamas:

Quote    Reply   

#54 [url]

Feb 7 17 12:35 AM

Stupid Americans. Don't they know how to waste time by holding the ball near the corner flag and rolling around pretending to be injured? Or making unnecessary substitutions of the player who is, serendipitously, diagonally furthest from the dugout.

Quote    Reply   

#56 [url]

Feb 7 17 9:24 PM

TheRoonBa wrote:
I like how "auto-complete" has produced a spin-off of people posting photos of "superb owls" on Twitter.
The backstory to 'Superb Owl' basically comes from the NFL being hyper-protective of their brand.

Hyper-protective to the point where they threatened to sue a church for a sign that was holding a 'Super Bowl viewing party', and to the point of attempting to copyright terms such as 'the big game', a TV comedian parodied the fact his channel wasn't 'allowed' to use the proper title and instead always referred to it as though he was describing a brilliant nocturnal bird.

Last Edited By: mattsanger92 Feb 7 17 9:28 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help