Remove this ad

Lead

Oct 25 13 8:25 PM

Tags : :

According to Damien Hughes (secretary-general of the CFU), the next edition of the Caribbean Cup will start in may 2014. The draw will take place in December.
"In 2014 several new and exciting changes made to the format will be revealed". Official FIFA match days will be used so the countries can play with their strongest team.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Oct 26 13 3:48 PM

It says 28 teams will participate which means 4 members won't.

Sint Maarten, Turks & Caicos Islands, Cayman Islands, Bahamas and US Virgin Islands didn't enter the last competition so perhaps it will be 4 from this list.

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Oct 26 13 4:04 PM

SEStubbs wrote:
It says 28 teams will participate which means 4 members won't.

Sint Maarten, Turks & Caicos Islands, Cayman Islands, Bahamas and US Virgin Islands didn't enter the last competition so perhaps it will be 4 from this list.
CFU has 31 members, so 3 have not indicated to enter (or indicated not to enter).
BTW, it says 28 teams indicated they want to participate till now. This could mean some of the other three can enter after all, or some of the 28 won't enter in the end.
I'm wondering if Bonaire will play, and also if Sint Maarten will participate for the first time since 1997.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#4 [url]

Nov 6 13 2:13 PM

Perhaps they have shinier whistles for the referees and brighter white paint for the lines? I can't think of anything that they could do to make it more exciting except improve the level of football being played.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#8 [url]

Dec 22 13 9:24 PM

I don't see any of the fabled "exciting new changes" - at least with the format. Seems to be the same as last time with the addition of a preliminary round.

So, if the same as last time, 5 teams will get byes - 2 to the final tournament (holders and hosts), while the 2nd, 3rd and 4th placed teams from last edition will get byes to the 2nd round.

If 28 teams entered (as suggested earlier), there wouldn't be a need for a preliminary round (28 minus the 5 'bye' teams above = 23 teams starting out in Qualification Round 1). So, I don't know if this format means that either 30 or 31 teams have entered, or if the 2nd, 3rd and 4th-placed teams from 2012 don't get byes any more.

Last Edited By: TheRoonBa Dec 22 13 9:27 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#10 [url]

Feb 3 14 11:07 AM

I would have thought Guyana would be exempt from this round anyway, as it would be for the worst 5 or 6 teams in CFU based on the original schedule released by CFU.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

TheRoonBa

#14 [url]

Feb 4 14 1:54 PM

Would be odd if Guyana withdrew from a stage of a competition they weren't even competing in. Cayman Islands are not one of the worst 5 or 6 teams, as you rightly say. But based on FIFA rankings, that great unquestionable source of worldly knowledge, Cayman Islands are in the worst 4 CFU teams along with BVI, TCI and Anguilla. USVI and Montserrat complete the bottom 6.  Then we've got Sint Maarten, Saint Martin, Bonaire who don't have FIFA rankings - not sure how CFU determine the worst teams - perhaps based on previous performance (Cayman Islands didn't compete last time so would go to the bottom of the list by default perhaps).

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#18 [url]

Mar 23 14 10:04 PM

The dates and host country were already known, so all CFU has done is announce the city.  They still haven't mentioned anything about the preliminary round (or the WIFA or LIFA tournaments, which come under their control).
CFU is hopeless at keeping people up to date.  I mean, this is not some crappy tournament, it's the biggest tournament they organise!  They've also got the women's Caribbean Cup this year for the first time (as part of World Cup qualification), and no news on that either.

Last Edited By: TheRoonBa Mar 23 14 10:08 PM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#19 [url]

Mar 29 14 7:31 PM

One of the six 1st Round (September) groups is known:

Antigua & Barbuda (hosts), Saint Vincent & the Grenadines, Dominican Republic, Anguilla

Anguilla is below Cayman Islands in the FIFA ranking, so I don't understand why Cayman Islands would play in the preliminary round in May (as previously reported) while Anguilla would get a bye to the first round.

Of course, it would help if the CFU told the public what was happening instead of just telling their FAs, and then we have to sit and wait until certain FAs think it is important enough to tell the public.

EDIT: Apparently, details of the Antigua group came from the CFU president himself.  So why haven't they released all the information? smiley: eyes

Last Edited By: TheRoonBa Mar 29 14 7:40 PM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

Apr 3 14 9:47 PM

Aruba hosting one group with Aruba , French Guyana , Turks & Caicos Isl and British Virgin Island

May 26 to June 2

http://avbaruba.aw/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=467%3Aaruba-ta-host-prome-round-di-caribbean-cup&catid=1%3Alatest-news

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help