Remove this ad

TheRoonBa

#21 [url]

Apr 4 14 1:13 AM

Great - we have one group in September and one in May.

I would imagine this May group is a preliminary group, and Cayman Islands will host the other with some other lower-ranked teams.

French Guiana, in my opinion, aren't a weak team in CFU terms - maybe they are here through lack of participation.

Also, I can't see why Anguilla would get a bye through to the main round when teams like Cayman Islands and Aruba (better teams in my opinion) have to play the preliminary round.

I've given up asking CFU on Facebook.  I'm now telling them to release the information.  Every time they release more news (no matter what the news is about), I will tell them to release the Caribbean Cup schedule.  I am hoping that sooner or later they will read one of the comments

Last Edited By: TheRoonBa Apr 4 14 1:20 AM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

TheRoonBa

#22 [url]

Apr 8 14 11:36 PM

The women's championship draw has been released: http://cfufootball.org/index.php/latest-news/9388-cfu-women-s-caribbean-cup-2014-groups

Hopefully, that means the men's is coming soon.

I don't know what system they are using, but they certainly didn't use FIFA ranking, or any sort of decent ranking for the women's groups. Groups 1 and 3 have no strong teams in them at all, whereas Groups 4 and 5 have at least 2 strong teams in each of them.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#23 [url]

Apr 14 14 12:09 AM

Apparently, it's due to politics and the fact some islands are not able to host - that's the reason for the delay in making the draw for the men's tournament. Too many egos, I would say.

Quote    Reply   

#24 [url]

Apr 14 14 4:38 PM

And here it is...

Preliminary qualification round, 28 May - 4 June 2014

Group 1: Bonaire (host), Montserrat, US Virgin Isl.
Group 2: Aruba (host), British Virgin Isl., French Guiana, Turks & Caicos Isl.

First round, 1 - 8 September 2014

Group 3: Martinique (host), Barbados, Suriname, winner group 1
Group 4: Puert Rico (host), Grenada, Curaçao, winner group 2
Group 5: Antigua & Barbuda (host), Dominican Rep., St. Vincent & the Grenadines, Anguilla
Group 6: St. Kitts & Nevis (host), Dominica, Guyana, St. Lucia

Second round, 6-13 October 2014

Group 7: Trinidad & Tobago (host), winner group 5, runner-up group 6, best overall 3rd place
Group 8: Haiti (host), winner group 6, runner-up group 3, runner-up group 4
Group 9: Guadeloupe (host), winner group 4, winner group 3, runner-up group 5

Final round, 9-18 November 2014, Montego Bay, Jamaica
First group: Cuba, winner group 7, runner-up group 8, runner-up group 9
Second group: Jamaica, winner group 9, winner group 8, runner-up group 7

It surprises me Bonaire hosts a group, since last year they were unable to host the ABCS Tournament...

Quote    Reply   

#26 [url]

Apr 14 14 5:10 PM

I think that this is good for Bonaire; it will help in their development of facilities on the island going forward, they might even have a chance of getting out of the group.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#28 [url]

Apr 14 14 7:41 PM

Still not sure why Anguilla received a bye and French Guiana didn't. FG qualified for the final tournament last time. Maybe Anguilla couldn't afford to go to Bonaire or Aruba, but could afford to go to Antigua. Who knows!?

Also, Martinique finished 4th last time, and qualified for the Gold Cup.  Guadeloupe didn't even qualify for the Caribbean Cup finals.  But Guadeloupe gets a bye to the 2nd round, Martinique plays in the 1st round.  Strange...

Last Edited By: TheRoonBa Apr 14 14 8:01 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#30 [url]

May 8 14 2:25 PM

nfm24 wrote:
Seems that Bonaire is hosting the group most likely to be cancelled due to withdrawals.
Or the group most likely to be moved to Montserrat:

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#32 [url]

May 8 14 5:21 PM

I agree it is unsurprising... indeed I now even expect such errors as standard, and am surprised when I read something accurate.
Whenever something is written like "this is the first time we have played this team" or "X is the first player to score in this tournament" blah blah etc, it usually turns out to be nonsense.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#33 [url]

May 10 14 10:02 PM

They are also now claiming that Turks & Caicos Islands women will be making their international début, and even got quotes from one of the TCI players saying they are excited to play at the international level for the first time. This despite 2 previous qualifying campaigns for the Gold Cup. Ignorance breeds ignorance, I guess.

Quote    Reply   

#34 [url]

May 11 14 7:50 PM

???? but at least half their squad was involved in their previous outings.
One wonders why bother to field a team at all, if everybody forgets about it after a couple of years.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#35 [url]

May 15 14 3:14 PM

They are releasing little snippets for each of the women's national teams in the run-up. Most recently, the Cayman Islands one said they formed their national team in 2003. This despite documentary evidence from CONCACAF that they participated in the 2000 Caribbean Cup against Jamaica. And all the sheep follow on Facebook with their 'LIKES' without questioning how an organisation with paid members of staff can forget their own history.

Quote    Reply   

#36 [url]

May 18 14 12:20 PM

Did you actually get blocked by the CFUOfficial twitter account for pointing this out ?  

If there's anything on the CONCACAF website that's inaccurate, it's probably easier to contact CONCACAF's @SGEvans or @ChelsieRachelle

I think what happens is they change a competition name and all of a sudden it's a new competition. There was a time when the "Copa Caribe" was paraded as a new competition despite the previous version of the competition taking place two years prior.  I think it may have something to do with the Caribbean press relations mindset, perhaps they prefer "new and shiny" as opposed to existing competitions.

In the case of CONCACAF publishing that the number of participants in qualifying is up from 3, I think that was a genuine mistake and the journalist didn't count the qualifying rounds of the previous competition. The source for that story appears to be the Kaieteur News.

Last Edited By: Blue Lou May 18 14 12:29 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#37 [url]

May 19 14 12:56 AM

I've been blocked from their Facebook page for pointing out their errors and asking them to check info before they release it. They chose to ignore me, then post more false, poorly researched info (I think 4 incorrect posts in a row). Then I got annoyed and said they should be doing better - then they blocked me, and deleted all my posts. I used my 2nd Facebook account to point out that they couldn't seem to take criticism when it was deserved, and they also deleted that post and blocked my other account. This is normal for me. I've got 48 sports on the site, and more often than not, I get into confrontations with people for 2 reasons.

A) - Please could you post the results of this tournament that you are advertising on your official Facebook page?
B) - Here are the results of this tournament (because they have not been posting them, despite people on the page asking for the results).

Today, I had rugby 7s results removed from the African Rugby Confederation's Facebook page - they hadn't published results from their own competition, so I did it, and they just deleted them. I did the same on the Australian Fistball Federation's page (their 'fans' were looking for their results from their first tournament in Pakistan - I provided them, then my post was deleted and I got a message from the page owner saying they would appreciate it if I didn't post results, as THEY wanted to be the ones who posted the results on their page). So I replied and told them they should do it quicker in future and not wait until 2 days after the matches. Idiots.

So in summary, people don't like to have it pointed out that they are not doing their jobs properly. The convenient and easy thing for them to do is to 'silence' the critic.

In any case, back to the topic, I pointed out a few factual inaccuracies on the CFU's posts about their own members, and they didn't seem to like it. I don't really care if they want to market it as something new - if they want to mislead people, good for them - but it doesn't mean I can't criticise them. They should be thanking me and correcting their articles, but as I tweeted to them, too many egos.

Quote    Reply   

#38 [url]

May 19 14 10:48 AM

For whatever reason, the North American 'soccer' websites don't seem to put much effort into the web side of things.

I'd never even heard of Fistball before!

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#40 [url]

May 28 14 1:50 PM

That's the second withdrawal after Dominica withdrew from their group in Puerto Rico. Disappointing, as Guadeloupe almost never participate in women's competitions. They even played a build-up match on 8th March against Martinique (which they won) - but maybe they didn't think they had a chance against Haiti and Cuba. Personally, I think they might have surprised themselves, as Martinique have just qualified for the finals after winning the group in Puerto Rico. Maybe they didn't have the finances to travel to Haiti.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help