Remove this ad

#41 [url]

May 29 14 8:52 PM

Anguilla is the third team to withdraw from the women’s Caribbean Cup 2014, four of their players have been diagnosed with the Chikungunya Virus. Also Guadeloupe withdrew because of outbreak of that virus, while Dominica had to withdraw because some members did not receive their United States Visas in time.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

TheRoonBa

#42 [url]

May 29 14 10:01 PM

FIFA.com has Men's Caribbean Cup match (Montserrat-US Virgin Islands) to be played in Plymouth, Montserrat - despite Plymouth being abandoned after being destroyed by a volcanic eruption in 1997. FIFA helped Montserrat build the new stadium (where the matches are actually taking place), but it seems there is no communication between departments.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#43 [url]

May 29 14 10:14 PM

Sensini wrote:
Anguilla is the third team to withdraw from the women’s Caribbean Cup 2014, four of their players have been diagnosed with the Chikungunya Virus. Also Guadeloupe withdrew because of outbreak of that virus, while Dominica had to withdraw because some members did not receive their United States Visas in time.

Unfortunately, Puerto Rico and probably Cuba and Dominican Republic will not qualify for the 8-team finals, simply because they are in 3-team groups.  The 2 runners-up from the 4-team groups will automatically qualify. In my opinion, this is wrong, as the 2 teams who qualified (Saint Kitts & Nevis and Saint Vincent & the Grenadines) are weaker teams than the 3 teams mentioned above, and are only qualifying because 4 teams played in their groups instead of 3.  Puerto Rico got 4 points in 2 matches, for example, which is better than 4 from 3 (Saint Vincent's total).  Not sure if CFU will definitely use this system, but I think they should take away the results of the 4th-placed teams from the calculation to make it fairer.

Last Edited By: TheRoonBa May 29 14 10:16 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#44 [url]

May 31 14 12:36 PM

Selection of Bonaire from the Bonaire FA's Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Federashon-Futbol-Boneriano-FFB/253530834819445)

Selekshon di Boneiru ta konsistí di siguiente hungadónan:
1. Rishison Frans (Real Rincon) – Kiper 
2. Jordrick Arrindel (Juventus) – Kiper 
3. Relove Janga (Juventus) – Defensor 
4. Igmar Gijbertha (Real Rincon) – Defensor 
5. Jozef Beaumont (Real Rincon) – Defensor 
6. Edelbert Winklaar (Real Rincon) – Defensor 
7. Pedro Rodriguez (Uruguay) – Defensor 
8. Rachid Trenidad (Vespo) – Defensor 
9. Alexander Sijtsma (Juventus) – Medio Kampista 
10. Giovanie Makaai (Juventus) – Medio Kampista 
11. Giandro Steba (Juventus) – Medio Kampista
12. Naygel Coffie (Juventus) – Medio Kampista
13. Lacey Pauletta (Real Rincon) – Medio Kampista 
14. Raymiro Coffie (Real Rincon) – Medio Kampista 
15. Terrence Frans (Real Rincon) – Medio Kampista 
16. Ifred Piar (Real Rincon) – Delantero 
17. Jurick Seinpaal (Uruguay) – Delantero 
18. Justin Michel (Uruguay) – Delantero 

Kuerpo tékniko: 
Direktor tékniko; Ferdinand Bernabela – 
Asistentenan; Celsio Mook, Alsi Anthony i Arviena Vis
Masahista; Danielo Quirindoongo 
Hefe di delegashon: Ludwig Balentin

Quote    Reply   

#45 [url]

May 31 14 1:00 PM

What's that for a language? That's not dutch, as i suggested before. It looks funny, as there are obvious similarities to spanish with a bit italian and portuguese. Funny, that a team "Uruguay" exists in Bonaire.

Quote    Reply   

#48 [url]

Oct 13 14 8:29 AM

TheRoonBa wrote:
Great - we have one group in September and one in May.

I would imagine this May group is a preliminary group, and Cayman Islands will host the other with some other lower-ranked teams.

French Guiana, in my opinion, aren't a weak team in CFU terms - maybe they are here through lack of participation.
[...]

French Guiana qualified for the final competition yesterday... Also in 2012 they qualified for the final competition, so indeed not one of the weaker teams in CFU.

BTW,  October 2013 CFU said "In 2014 several new and exciting changes made to the format will be revealed". Of course there now was a preliminary round, but was that the only "new and exciting change"?

Last Edited By: Sensini Oct 13 14 10:32 AM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   

#49 [url]

Oct 13 14 11:19 AM

The "excitement" was created by the CFU withholding information for as long as possible, and then releasing it at the last minute only.
This was not "new" though.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#50 [url]

Oct 13 14 1:43 PM

Interestingly,Saint Kitts & Nevis benefited from confusion over the tiebreaker rules in 2010 (CFU hadn't released any info about the rules. They won their group despite having a worse goal difference than both SVG and Barbados (they had a better head-to-head).

This year, Saint Kitts & Nevis suffered, as the same rules applied this time would have seen them qualify for the finals instead of French Guiana. Again, I did not see any mention of the rules by CFU - but this time, the teams at least seemed to 'know' (as St. Kitts & Nevis players were apparently dejected at the final whistle).

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

TheRoonBa

#51 [url]

Oct 13 14 1:48 PM

In their last participation before 2012 (which was in 2005), French Guiana also did very well, winning their preliminary group, and losing out to Jamaica over 2 legs in the final qualification round (which was for a reduced 4-team tournament).

So, in their last 3 participations, they have finished among the Top 8 Caribbean teams. CFU doesn't seem to have registered this though, and for some strange reason made them play an extra round against rubbish teams, while Anguilla inexplicably did not have to play this round, despite losing pretty much every game they have ever played (and heavily as well) in CFU competitions.

So, if CFU place French Guiana in the preliminary round for the next edition, then they need their heads looked at.

Quote    Reply   

#52 [url]

Oct 13 14 3:40 PM

For me the biggest surprise is Guadeloupe not qualifying, despite playing at home. This is the team that entered the Gold Cup between 2009-2011. Curaçao qualified for the first time since 1998.

www.soccer-db.info - football internationals

Quote    Reply   

#54 [url]

Oct 13 14 8:28 PM

I like it, voluntary pre-qualifying. I would always go for that and take a couple of warmup wins against minnows to get into shape. Although you run the risk that the plan backfires and other middling teams think the same way and then we accidentally have to play someone good in a pre-qualifier. Yes, that must be the way CFU saw it too.

The CFU tournament is particularly perplexing. It's as if they do everything to make it as awkward as possible for people to follow it. And even awkward for the teams themselves.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#55 [url]

Oct 14 14 1:24 PM

Guadeloupe not qualifying was indeed a surprise. I wonder if it's because they couldn't get their best players? In previous campaigns, they only called up the best players once they'd reached the CFU finals or Gold Cup, and used more local-based players in qualifying. Guadeloupe in the Caribbean Cup in 2010 was almost a completely different team to the 2011 Gold Cup team.  In 2010 Caribbean Cup qualification, for example, Guadeloupe won all 3 of their preliminary matches (against Saint Kitts & Nevis, Puerto Rico and Grenada), but in 2 of those matches, the other team had more shots on goal. Guadeloupe used a largely local-based team in this round, and could easily have been eliminated if it hadn't been for their goalkeeper.

Last Edited By: TheRoonBa Oct 14 14 1:29 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#56 [url]

Oct 14 14 10:38 PM

Is it perhaps that the French are better at syphoning off the decent players from Guadeloupe to the French divisions, whereas some of the other islands can retain theirs? Or conversely, just to save money, they don't bother calling the foreign based players, but the other islands do?

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#57 [url]

Oct 16 14 7:52 PM

There's apparently a lot of opposition from the local playersto bringing in 'foreigners', some of whom have never been to the Caribbean. Antigua & Barbuda, Grenada, Guyana, Barbados are examples of teams who have struggled with this issue (Guyana, in particular, had much worse results as a direct consequence of NOT calling up many foreign-based players). This is supposed to help the local players 'develop' and get used to international competition. What happens, though, is that their countries are knocked out early and they don't get the chance to get exposed to an international audience (which they would if they qualified for the Gold Cup, or to a lesser extent, the CFU finals).

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#58 [url]

Oct 16 14 7:53 PM

There's apparently a lot of opposition from the local players to bringing in 'foreigners', some of whom have never been to the Caribbean. Antigua & Barbuda, Grenada, Guyana, Barbados are examples of teams who have struggled with this issue (Guyana, in particular, had much worse results as a direct consequence of NOT calling up many foreign-based players). This is supposed to help the local players 'develop' and get used to international competition. What happens, though, is that their countries are knocked out early and they don't get the chance to get exposed to an international audience (which they would if they qualified for the Gold Cup, or to a lesser extent, the CFU finals).

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#59 [url]

Dec 5 14 1:55 AM

Looking forward to French Guiana-Honduras for the last Gold Cup place, though I think Honduras will win reasonably comfortably. Not often that French Guiana play anyone from outside CFU (in fact, I think they've only ever played CFU teams and a few French DOM-TOMs - Réunion, Mayotte, Saint-Pierre & Miquelon and Tahiti). This will be their first match against a CONCACAF team that doesn't belong to the CFU.

It seems only a matter of time before French Guiana, Guadeloupe and Martinique will be accepted into FIFA.  They are certainly showing their quality by consistently qualifying/nearly qualifying for the tournament for the Top 12 teams in CONCACAF.

Last Edited By: TheRoonBa Dec 5 14 1:59 AM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   

#60 [url]

Dec 5 14 2:07 AM

Are they actually trying to get into FIFA though?

FG did play some visiting clubs from Brazil and France, I think perhaps England also.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help