http://sermitsiaq.ag/node/159664

Greenland to play Faroe Islands at Futsal
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

TheRoonBa

#1 [url]

Nov 10 13 7:20 PM

Excellent news! Unfortunately (for me), I cannot put these teams in my ranking - as this will be both teams' first ever match. Hopefully they can play other matches against established teams.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#3 [url]

Nov 10 13 9:22 PM

It should be 3 friendly matches in total (though some Greenland reports mention only 2 - there always has to be some sort of confusion).

Seemingly, the sport is more popular in Greenland, and hardly anyone plays in the Faroes. Another article from Greenland gave the squads for the match - Greenland has a 17-man squad, while Faroes are sending only 9 players (including 2 goalkeepers). As futsal has rolling subs, a big squad is quite handy. The article mentioned that some of the Faroes players would be unavailable, as they were playing against Malta (at football) on 19th November, and it appears the Faroes are basically sending regular football players to play futsal. I'm not sure playing against Malta on 19th would make you unavailable for matches that don't start until 29th.

Greenland has played with their junior national team at the Arctic Winter Games (they entered 3 events, and won silver medals in junior male & junior female and the gold medal in juvenile male categories), so they seem to at least have some tradition of playing indoors, which you might expect seeing the state of some of the outdoor facilities in Greenland, and the general lack of grass.

I think it would be better if it was a part of a general FA exchange - so men's and women's international football matches could also be held, and even beach soccer (if that is possible).

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#4 [url]

Nov 10 13 9:57 PM

Hmm, if I can find any bookies taking bets on this, I'm backing Greenland.
A general exchange could suffer from the duplicity of players you mentioned, but economically it makes more sense to combine trips.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#6 [url]

Jan 27 16 3:00 AM

They lost the second match 16-3.

These were Greenland's first international defeats. They had previously been to Iceland to play some club teams, but the Czech matches were their first away internationals.  Greenland still unbeaten at home.

29/11/2013 Greenland 'B' 6-8 Faroe Islands
30/11/2013 Greenland 6-2 Faroe Islands
01/12/2013 Greenland 5-3 Faroe Islands
07/11/2015 Greenland 2-2 Denmark
08/11/2015 Greenland 5-4 Denmark
26/01/2016 Czech Republic 6-0 Greenland
27/01/2016 Czech Republic 16-3 Greenland

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help