Remove this ad

#21 [url]

Dec 13 13 7:52 PM

You should go back there and say you've arrived for another interview.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#24 [url]

Dec 16 13 8:04 PM

Thanks for the... kind suggestions, but fortunately it won't be needed, the next interview I had with a different company has gone better, just waiting for a start date now. If all goes well, I will soon be moving to a financial role within the 'alternative medicine' industry (maybe that came out wrong smiley: grin)... for clarity's sake, it is an English company that distributes traditional Chinese medicinal products... so I can feel at ease with the possibility of falling sick on the job until the acupuncture needles come out smiley: wink.

That was all too positive for this thread though, so I'll bring it down again with the entire process of trying to find a job. Especially adverts which oversell the most mundane positions going that have nothing to do with your search history ('Dear x, click here for exciting new opportunities at Burger King/Argos/etc.') Oh, and agencies smiley: devil... that is all.

Last Edited By: mattsanger92 Dec 16 13 8:10 PM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   

#25 [url]

Dec 17 13 8:38 PM

So we blame you when we hear of tigers and rhinos being killed for ingredients... SHAME!

I remember during summer holiday at school, going a mundane job at ASDA (don't judge me, there wasn't much else near where I lived ;-) I had to participate in various team exercises, give a presentation, and take some tests. It was a surprisingly lengthy process, I'm sure there is a reason why, but I'm also sure they could have worked out much quicker who was the best applicant for each position.

However, those kind of scenarios work in my favour, so if I was selfish I shouldn't complain.

Quote    Reply   

#26 [url]

Dec 17 13 11:46 PM

nfm24 wrote:
I remember during summer holiday at school, going a mundane job at ASDA (don't judge me, there wasn't much else near where I lived ;-) I had to participate in various team exercises, give a presentation, and take some tests. It was a surprisingly lengthy process, I'm sure there is a reason why, but I'm also sure they could have worked out much quicker who was the best applicant for each position.

However, those kind of scenarios work in my favour, so if I was selfish I shouldn't complain.

Half the time they probably don't end up picking the "best" applicant in one of those processes (no offence intended), it's more who can play the game and win (talent in itself but still). I really can't see the point of those 'excercises' when the job is either working a till or stacking shelves, only reason I can think of is giving the HR staff a few hours of fun.

I've heard the horror stories that they still exist and are becoming more and more 'popular' with supermarkets, etc., relevant tasks including the 'desert island' scenario and playing with building blocks smiley: indifferent. Luckily I've never been through any of those 'group interviews' in person (have been given short 'tests' for actual job suitability), if I ever did then I wouldn't fancy my chances, seems like it wouldn't matter what your opinion is on something unless it's the loudest smiley: eyes.

I'll just stick to rhino-tiger powder for the time being, think I'll be able to claim ignorance on those issues (if they actually exist) since all the medicine names are in Chinese...

P.S. - I'm in no position to judge, the only places that could employ people where I lived when I was in school I can count on one hand, none of them ever advertised openings either...

Last Edited By: mattsanger92 Dec 17 13 11:58 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#27 [url]

Dec 18 13 5:31 AM

nfm24 wrote:

When I first came to England (at the age of 26), I needed a job while I was in between years at Uni.  ASDA came to the rescue. The process seems remarkably similar.  I was crap at giving presentations, because I hate standing up in front of people and am generally quite shy.  This is amplified when in a room of 20 people I don't know.  We had to design doughnuts.  To my surprise, I noticed that everyone else was crap at everything, and I ended up being a team leader by just not being crap.  I designed a liquorice snail doughnut, and our team won. I gave my reasons for choosing this design (I don't think they actually cared), and I was accepted.  Then, after I got the job, I had to tell them I couldn't do it, because term had started due to the lengthy process (I had applied about 2 months before term time, but this was the last in a series of about 4 'tests').  I mainly wanted to see if I could be successful in such a stupid thing.  Now, sometimes, I console myself in times of doubt by recounting my old ASDA interview days...

Quote    Reply   

#28 [url]

Dec 18 13 5:53 PM

TheRoonBa wrote:
Then, after I got the job, I had to tell them I couldn't do it, because term had started due to the lengthy process (I had applied about 2 months before term time, but this was the last in a series of about 4 'tests'). I mainly wanted to see if I could be successful in such a stupid thing.

First of all, I'll just ask now if I'm the only person who hasn't been through the Asda interview process (if our friends from continental Europe say they have then I'll start feeling left out on a major milestone of life).

And second, declining a job offer is one of the most bittersweet experiences out there. I went to an interview in London earlier this year in a high-quality building (view of Wembley Stadium out the window), low-quality office (except a conference room which FIFA would be proud of). The company (must have called themselves by at least 3 different names through the process) didn't give any wage rates on the advert (writing job) so I went thinking a London salary would be worth the time and maybe even moving there.

They contacted me a few days later with an offer that was minimum wage (give or take) 'plus commission', and above-standard hours, all on 'contractor' agreement (making me unprotected in any of the 'legal matters' of employment smiley: eyes). And expected at least 4 years of unwritten loyalty from a worker before they even thought of moving on (they said they understood I might want to at some point, but for now they'd expect me to show some gratitude for their opportunity).

The manager told me in the interview his entire office had computer screen readers and biometric scanners installed (clock in/out of a room with thumbprint, etc.). Official line was 'health & safety', but he added the unofficial line 'keeping an eye on everyone', all mobile phones and 'personal belongings' were to be stored in pigeonholes during work hours as well. Once the offer came through, it was fairly easy to politely decline smiley: wink. Had to write an article for them as part of the interview as well (before I got to hear more about the place) so they at least got a 400+ word piece out of me for free... for their money they'd have been expecting me to do 8 of those per day... strange thing was that it all felt entirely reasonable while I was in there...

P.S. - What kind of 'presentation' did you both have to do? Seems to me like one of those skills that goes nowhere near 'till/shelves'.

Quote    Reply   

#29 [url]

Dec 20 13 2:57 AM

Mine sounds similar to Mark's, there were about 30 of us divided into groups of 10 or so. We were given a brief to work on and 20 minutes, after which we our group was to nominate 2 people to give a 2 minute presentation. I cannot remember what it was about. I just remember feeling like I was on an island on Lord of the Flies and that humanity had no future. Much like Mark I was effectively appointed leader of the group just for not being clueless.

I suppose this process gives them a quick way to find someone who "stands out" in some sense from a larger group, without having to interview everyone individually. Having several other tests involved also gives them a way to weed out people who are not serious about their application.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#30 [url]

Dec 22 13 4:57 PM

My presentation, as mentioned above, was about liquorice snail doughnuts.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#31 [url]

Jan 31 14 8:41 PM

Time to bring this thread back to its original intentions with a new item that I have recently lived through:

- Arriving 5 minutes early to wait for a bus home, no bus that fits arrives by the time the next bus is supposed to arrive an hour later (many other buses not for me came past (including two on the same route right next to eachother), most were at least 15 minutes late).
- This is combined with the recent torrential rain that has been hitting England, and no sheltered bus stops at the road I was waiting on for most of that hour+
- I ended up using an alternative means of transport... return ticket wasted smiley: eyes.

'First-world problems' of course, but still not the nicest experience of my life. For the record, I really don't mind the rain itself, just the standing water that somehow gets into your shoes smiley: sick... and walking past that stretch of pavement that guarantees being splashed if a car drives past (it was rush hour).

Quote    Reply   

#33 [url]

Feb 1 14 10:32 AM

Nope, the two stops I can realistically use have a Texaco and a mormon church near them respectively, that's about it. The sheltered stop has a Tesco Homeplus behind it with no outside view and can only be reached by underpass so you lose sight of the road for about a minute.

And the two stops are also the kind where you have to flag down a bus if you want it to actually stop. Once a bus is late (which is pretty much always), you don't want to move out of fear of the 'London buses' rule...

Quote    Reply   

#37 [url]

Feb 2 14 5:14 PM

OK, Zorb back from work in the evening down that hill, and in the morning deflate your Zorb and carry it on the bus. Buses are generally more on time in the morning.

Quote    Reply   

#38 [url]

Jul 23 14 8:44 PM

Reviving this thread with a simple one: obese people. Or rather, obese people who claim it to be a disability in order to use mobility scooters, merely encouraging their lifestyle smiley: mad. I really don't have a problem if someone chooses to eat and not-exercise themselves to that look if they have the time and means, but when other people start being blamed or put upon it just doesn't sit right.

Although it can lead to hilarious moments in a queue when you hear someone ask, without a hint of irony, for a Diet Coke at the end of their mammoth food order smiley: roll.

Quote    Reply   

#40 [url]

Jul 24 14 5:38 PM

These are supposed to be generic rants, aren't they? But if the seats (plural) fit, then by all means they must pay for any extra space occupied smiley: wink, jury's still out on weight-based claims. Again, I'm fine (theoretically) with someone eating themselves to that size and health , just so long as they know there may be consequences to deal with aside from the obvious, such as an everyday public transport/cinema experience. Speaking of, has something like that ever been witnessed in a sports stadium, as some of them by design are notoriously less roomy places than some of the others mentioned above...

Last Edited By: mattsanger92 Jul 24 14 5:41 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help