Remove this ad

#321 [url]

Apr 27 17 9:20 PM

nfm24 wrote:
If anything, Corbyn should dodge it too in case he gets even more hammered by the smaller parties.
As if by magic...

On the one hand you have a point from his view, on the other it was still a chance to boost his own popularity if he shows up and May doesn't. All this does is take a lot more of the sting out of any headlines that come from the remaining people involved, the diminished TV debates will only be contested by parties labelled as irrelevant therefore continuing the vicious 2-party cycle and oooohh... dick move Corbyn, he was doing relatively well until then too.

I still think they may fold to public pressure, but if May was the only one absent they could have all (apart from UKIP) made a pact to target her empty chair at every possible opportunity rather than going after eachother like she probably wants, would have been a nice leveller.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#322 [url]

Jun 1 17 12:15 PM

So for this one last night, Corbyn changes his mind with a few hours to spare and takes part leaving May looking like a bit of an idiot. And to rub salt in her wound, they actually did what I hoped and pretty much laid off attacking eachother to focus on Bluekip. Didn't think they'd actually use common sense and go down that path but was pleasantly surprised, not that their targets didn't have it coming.

Plus Farron went straight to the point and addressed the elephant in the room, then later gave it a good beasting. Definitely plays into the soundbite culture but it needed to be said.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#323 [url]

Jun 1 17 1:58 PM

SNP gave an accomplished performance as usual last night. Corbyn basically copied what Angus Robertson had just said about "empty ungoverned spaces" in countries such as Libya, and got a round of applause for it.

SNP is better than Plaid Cymru at arguing the "wider British point", and gets applause from non-Scots as well as Scots. Plaid Cymru tends to focus on "give more to Wales" without actually saying what they will give back.

SNP has suffered a bit of a backlash in Scotland, however, and the Conservatives stand to gain a few seats. Conservative voters basically do what most people do - they vote for the maintenance of their lifestyle and values. That's why you'll see many Conservative banners and Union flags in the grounds of huge million pound houses. Unfortunately, their policies $$%$ on everyone else.

Quote    Reply   

#324 [url]

Jun 1 17 1:59 PM

The Green woman is a good performer in these scenarios, but obviously having only one MP (herself) is a token presence and if anything just dilutes the liberal vote even further. Still think they need to have a potato-based filter on who is allowed to vote.

Quote    Reply   

#325 [url]

Jun 1 17 9:00 PM

nfm24 wrote:
The Green woman is a good performer in these scenarios, but obviously having only one MP (herself) is a token presence
But when she got the question on climate change... I've never seen someone so happy at getting a debate question, she looked like her life's goal had been reached in that exact moment, even the large furnace can't begrudge her that. On the flipside, Paul Nuttall seems like the type of guy who would build a massive furnace and keep it on 24/7 just to spite that uppity bastard oxygen. Not to mention that UKIP have the grand total of 0 MPs, they'd be the first to go in this trimming of tokens.

And if we rate the candidates on their potato-based prolificness, are we going by football-style tactics (in which UKIP are pretty much the political equivalent of "loomp it up t'big man"), or on how they handle potato-related incidents? May looked like she was going to spontaneously dissolve, Corbyn handled his really well, and Farron seems more of a dessert man after last night but gets points for taking that fish finger situation in his stride.

Quote    Reply   

#326 [url]

Jun 1 17 9:14 PM

I think Trump has bagsied the spiteful furnace approach already.

Sturgeon visited one of the best chippies in Scotland yesterday so she wins that round. And also she is named after a fish, so chip compatability is guaranteed.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#327 [url]

Jun 2 17 12:28 PM

Farron reminds me of Wallace (of Gromit fame) - I am sure that very soon he will suddenly deteriorate into a pile of plasticine. Plus, he tries too hard to relate every situation to a personal experience of his. Corbyn is likeable - but maybe too polite? Something about him doesn't inspire confidence. Theresa May is one of the skeksis from the Dark Crystal. Nothing good can come of voting for her.

Nuttall is hellbent on fixing immigration - but UKIP did get 10% of the vote last time, despite their lack of seats. The things he says find approval from a sizeable minority of the population. Caroline Lucas did indeed become extremely excited - and no wonder. So often, the issue of climate change and the environment is just an afterthought - playing second fiddle to how much money people get. It's the single most important issue facing humanity, and it's a pity her time talking about it was limited.

Sturgeon being named after a fish comes after the "almost fish" of Salmond. Both are consistently lampooned by the gutter press for their less-than-beautiful appearance, but both are consummate speakers.

In terms of the political debate in general, I wish somebody would give Andrew Neil his comeuppance. I really don't like his attitude. Sure, he wants the politicians to actually answer the questions he poses, but I think he is a bit obnoxious in his approach. Jeremy Paxman is also annoying (I remember Alex Salmond was shocked that Paxman would compare Scotland to Zimbabwe, only for Paxman to retort that he wasn't - he was comparing Salmond to Mugabe!)

Quote    Reply   

#328 [url]

Jun 2 17 6:41 PM

anyway elections are updated, do not want to start a political discussion on this forum.....

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#329 [url]

Jun 5 17 7:26 PM

It is just disappointing that all of the main leaders and their sidekicks are pathetic and incompetent and simply unsuitable for running a village chess club, let alone a major country. I would feel unclean voting for any of them. The policies being discussed in minutiae are so inconsequential in the bigger picture, e.g. whether to spend a bit on a few more policemen, or make some tedious adjustments to the NHS etc. The only major issue worth discussing in the whole election is Brexit and all the discussion is vague.

The whole political industry (media included) have been running around cluelessly pant-shitting for the past year with no direction to what they are doing. Nobody knows what is going to happen, except that one of these incompetent morons will get the short straw of having to go cap in hand to Trumpton and pretend to like him. Overall it doesn't really matter anyway because of the environmental issues that nobody is dealing with on a global scale.

The Queen should disband parliament and install a proper monarchy. Then re-establish the British Empire, obviously, and resume the rightful expansion which was interrupted by those irritating Germans. Continental Europe becomes North Gibraltar. South America becomes West Falklands. North America becomes North-West Bermuda. Africa becomes North-East St Helena. Asia becomes North-West Pitcairn. The Moon becomes Upwards Tristan da Cunha.

Alternatively, UKIP reinstates Farage as leader before Thursday and sweeps to election victory. Farage forms an Axis of Truculence with Trumpistan. Sturgeon declares unliateral independence. Farage rebuilds Hadrian's Wall. Ireland reunites and becomes 51st State of America. Farage's isolationist policy turns remnants of UK into North Korea. Widespread famine due to potato shortage. Steve McClaren successfully blamed. Eventually Welsh druids form a coup and displace Farage. Southern Britain becomes an ungoverned pagan state.

Alternatively again, what we really need is for a largish asteroid to land precisely on Donald Trump's head. Sadly, several billion people may be collateral damage, but that is just the price we have to pay.

Quote    Reply   

#330 [url]

Jun 9 17 2:14 PM

nfm24 wrote:
The whole political industry (media included) have been running around cluelessly pant-shitting for the past year with no direction to what they are doing. Nobody knows what is going to happen, except that one of these incompetent morons will get the short straw of having to go cap in hand to Trumpton and pretend to like him. Overall it doesn't really matter anyway because of the environmental issues that nobody is dealing with on a global scale.
Looks like said incompetent moron will be May (again), but the good news is that she's managed to somehow take a 20-something % lead and turn it into less seats. Strength and stability right there... smiley: roll

On a worrying note she's had to team up with the one other party left that would actually entertain her and they sound even more backward and corrupt than her lot... also have very clear links to terrorist organisations which should please Mr Corbyn if only for being the ultimate irony...

Quote    Reply   

#331 [url]

Jun 10 17 3:42 PM

Yes it's good that May's main aim was to quash the supposed dissent that the other parties were raising against her Brexit plans. Now with the DUP on board, she can easily blame any problems on their backwardsness. Generally her only concrete achievement in this election was to knock back the SNP a little (which would have happened anyway after the unsustainable high water mark of 2015), while simultaneously shitting up Northern Ireland. I can only assume she has Steve McClaren on her team of advisers somewhere.

Quote    Reply   

#332 [url]

Jul 18 17 11:04 PM

Generic interview questions, more specifically the one "why do you want to work for us/[insert company name here]?" and variations of it.

Fair enough if the company is something genuinely interesting or the interviewee has a personal connection, but if you're some run-of-the-mill outfit selling (industries changed slightly to conceal identities) cutlery or insurance don't expect the primary motivation (at the start at least) to be anything other than £, but of course it's supposed to be a test of how creatively you can answer the question without resorting to that... luckily for one of them I did have a semi-related story which hopefully satisfied...

Quote    Reply   

#333 [url]

mattsanger92 wrote:
Generic interview questions, more specifically the one "why do you want to work for us/[insert company name here]?" and variations of it.
Yes indeed, anything which solicits mandatory insincere enthusiasm should be distrusted.  For example, the social culture of the United States of America.

As you noted of course, all they're looking for is an arbitrary quirkoid by which to distinguish similar candidates, so that they can pretend their selection is a rigourous and relevant process.

What you need to do to get round this is to only apply to the very smuggest of industries/companies/institutions.  These will assume that everybody inherently wants to work for them, and won't bother to ask frivolous rhetorical questions.

Quote    Reply   

#334 [url]

nfm24 wrote:
mattsanger92 wrote:
Yes indeed, anything which solicits mandatory insincere enthusiasm should be distrusted.  For example, the social culture of the United States of America.
I might have already mentioned some way back my distaste for the concept of 'forced fun' - although that really ties to the quality of the event/emcee (hint: if you need to ask twice for the audience to cheer on your command, they're probably not interested in focusing on you) and how large your group is. Been solo to a few arena-based sporting events in the last year and didn't like the whole "_ cam!" thing they have going on.

But my parents went to the USA recently and commented on that 'social culture' - from their experience it does seem to be sincere in a lot of cases which makes you wonder what they have in the water there.

As for 'snobbish' jobs - way ahead of you on that front, I've recently been put forward for a series of phone interviews (and if I get through all that, an all-expense-paid (hopefully) trip overseas for the final interview) for a role at a company that went straight in on the first paragraph of the job description to point out they're 5-star in the service they provide (in something considered a very upmarket activity). Which in fairness - why wouldn't you point it out?

Although I've been pre-warned by the agency that despite meeting most of the requirements they might overlook me due to my personal lack of experience in the upmarket activity being sold - not lack of industry experience (which I'd understand), lack of experience in actually doing the activity is what could disqualify me smiley: indifferent. So yeah, despite my genuine enthusiasm for what they're offering that one might be a longshot...

Quote    Reply   

#336 [url]

nfm24 wrote:
Those sound like some pretty swanky potatoes they're asking you to pick.
Oh drat, you figured it out.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help