Remove this ad

TheRoonBa

#21 [url]

Aug 24 14 10:50 AM

Meanwhile, a cycling discipline is now on the site (cycleball/cycle-ball/cycle ball/radball). Along with flag football, this takes the total to 50 sports.

For those who are interested, cycleball is an indoor sport played in teams of 2 where the aim is to hit a ball into the goal of the other team using the bike. The bikes are modified and have no brakes or gears.

Germany, Austria, Switzerland and Czech Republic are the best teams, with Belgium and France making up the "Top 6". The sport is played in Europe, Asia, North America and Australia.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#25 [url]

Aug 25 14 9:27 AM

TheRoonBa wrote:
Meanwhile, a cycling discipline is now on the site (cycleball/cycle-ball/cycle ball/radball). Along with flag football, this takes the total to 50 sports.
You missed table football.  Then you'll need another to make it an even number.

I vote that you set up an International Trans-Sports Federation for all these different games.  Maybe called Worldball or Omniball.
And then kick out FIFA football so that it will be non-FIFA like Piet said smiley: tongue

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#26 [url]

Aug 25 14 1:10 PM

I thought about table football. But I rejected it on the same basis I rejected tennis and golf. The 'national team' matches are not played as an interdependent team, but as an aggregation of independent individual performances (i.e. one person plays at a time).

Another sport I considered, due to its presence in multi-sport games, is Sepak Takraw. However, it seems to be played in many different formats, with 2 or 3 players, and results are not readily available anyway - even for the SEA Games, where it is hugely popular.

Quote    Reply   

#27 [url]

Aug 25 14 1:27 PM

Yes table football and tennis in team format are aggregations of singles and doubles play. Same in golf and even snooker sometimes. So I suppose what you're saying is, the game (or component games) must involve more than 2 players. So beach volleyball is also out.

Quote    Reply   

#30 [url]

Aug 25 14 4:21 PM

you probably just like the ladies (whatever they play...)

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

TheRoonBa

#32 [url]

Aug 26 14 11:16 AM

Beach volleyball is not on the site because it is not played by national teams (in most championships, more than 1 pairing is allowed for each country).

Tennis (doubles), for example, is not on the site, because again, it is not generally played by national teams (rather by 2 individuals, who may or may not be from the same country).

Sepak Takraw is played in doubles and in threes, I believe. It would be possible to have this sport - but it's not been possible to track down results for its most important tournament (the King's Cup in Thailand). Even for most recent years. If anyone is a rabid sepak takraw results collector, then this is your chance to speak up and share the joy of rattan ;-)

Generally speaking, 2 players is the minimum for inclusion on the site (cycleball is currently the only sport on the site with only 2 members per team), and also, it is the usual format of the sport (in tennis, table tennis, badminton, the singles games is the usual format, doubles is an offshoot).

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#35 [url]

Aug 26 14 11:22 PM

Jorkyball appears to be no longer played internationally (a bit like cycle polo). The last cycle polo world cup was in 2006, and the 2007 Jorkyball European Championship seems to have been last held in 2007.

Quote    Reply   

#36 [url]

Aug 27 14 7:39 PM

I admit it does seem to be lacking in the 'web updates' department, but their last (internet-recorded) international tournament seems to be the 2010 Coupe du Monde, played in 2010. Hosted and won by France.

Last Edited By: mattsanger92 Aug 27 14 7:41 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#37 [url]

Aug 28 14 9:02 AM

mattsanger92 wrote:
I admit it does seem to be lacking in the 'web updates' department, but their last (internet-recorded) international tournament seems to be the 2010 Coupe du Monde, played in 2010. Hosted and won by France.

It seems there have been 3 World Cups in 2010, 2012 and 2014.

The only other tournament for nations is the European Championship (1996, 1997 (2 editions), 1998, 2002, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012) - maybe editions in 2010, 2013 and 2014.

Results provision is extremely rubbish though.

The scoring system is also strange.  The match is played in sets (first team to score 7 goals wins a set, and first team to win 3 sets wins the match).  A yellow card means that the opposing team gets 1 goal, and a red card means that the opposing team wins the set - if there is no substitute player, the team who had a player red carded loses the match).  Also, for certain infringements (such as blatant handball) - a penalty is awarded to the other team - but they get 3 attempts to score.

Last Edited By: TheRoonBa Aug 28 14 9:23 AM. Edited 3 times.

Quote    Reply   

#38 [url]

Sep 28 14 8:55 AM

The 81st edition of the World Championship has started!
This year the track isn't particularly selctive, so sprinters could be the best favorites for the success.
I see well the German and the Australian teams, but I wouldn't forget some old foxes like Fabian Cancellara, Philippe Gilbert and Alejandro Valverde, who runs at home.
But the World Championship often is a strange race, where outsiders have often got the better.
Also rain could be a variable.
I still remember very well how much I celebrated Paolo Bettini's successes in 2006 and 2007!!
This year the Italian cyclists don't look favorites, but who knows?

Quote    Reply   

#40 [url]

Oct 11 14 9:06 AM

What a pity! Andy Schleck has announced his retirement. A great talent shattered by injuries. Cycling is too merciless.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help