Remove this ad

Lead

Feb 17 14 10:58 PM

Tags : :

This forum covers a huge range of active and potential places for international football, but one region that goes largely undiscussed (at least not for a long time) is the one that has the least information on it (no idea why smiley: grin). Still, everything that is known about football in Antarctica can be gathered here for whoever wants to discuss it... starting with the basic question of whether any representative team (pan-Antarctic, Territorial, Island, or individual Research Stations) has ever come from the frozen continent?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Feb 18 14 10:58 AM

Andre Rosso once wrote a story about one Organization of Unrecognized Football Associations (OUFA) for non-FIFA members (including Antarctic and South Atlantic territories). Eventually they hire a bunch of German lawyers and get accepted as a qualifying zone for the FIFA World Cup proper but the Antarctic teams don't get far (Antarctic Argentina gets knocked out by the Falklands early on).

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#4 [url]

Jul 6 14 3:39 PM

The 2nd link includes links from Wikipedia that were certainly fake (Antarctica playing 30 matches, for example, against Kerguelen, Norfolk Island, etc.). The first link shows some interesting videos of the encounters - not sure these could count (fields are correct dimensions, for example?)

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Jul 6 14 8:50 PM

I think the second story does include an explanation that the Wikipedia information is most likely dodgy. The important thing to take away from it all is that football has apparently been played on Antarctica since the days of Shackleton, and just on a really slow path of development. If Greenland can get FIFA-approved artificial pitches, then maybe some day...

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Jul 7 14 6:49 AM

Antarctica is a natural reserve and it must stay this way, it is the only continent without economic activities and making football fields is against international law ; there is no population, in Greenland there is....

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Jul 7 14 6:53 AM

the item "Antarctica" does not have a place on a football forum and it certainly cannot be under the item "South America", it  belongs to mankind, not to some countries that happen to be near Antactica

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Jul 7 14 5:48 PM

The Chilean and Argentine sections have small towns built in them, I don't see it as a huge deal considering most of the continent isn't 'developable'. Especially if it is a modern fieldturf on some sort of 'temporary structure' that the research stations use.

And I started this thread under 'South America' because it is the continent that is geographically closest, I would not expect there to be an 'Antarctica' forum here, and as proven by the links there is (limited) football activity there, I see no harm in making a thread for it.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#9 [url]

Jul 7 14 11:52 PM

Well, if we are to leave Antarctica alone, we should also have left Australia alone, and New Zealand, and the Americas (including Greenland) and all the rainforests that are being cut down to provide more space for humans to live and play sport.

Everywhere in the world was a natural reserve before humans got there. Antarctica used to be covered in forests - it's environment is constantly under natural change. If it were covered in forests/grass now, would we still treat it the same? Answer - no. The only reason humans don't live there is that it's ice-bound and too cold. Greenland was populated because it has some bits that are free of ice for some of the year. The same is happening in Antarctica. Certainly, Greenland has no more 'right' to be populated than Antarctica.

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Jul 8 14 6:21 AM

it seems ecology is no issue on this forum.....100 years ago people were not concerned in protecting nature.....now we live in the 21th century

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

TheRoonBa

#11 [url]

Jul 8 14 7:53 AM

pieter wrote:
it seems ecology is no issue on this forum.....100 years ago people were not concerned in protecting nature.....now we live in the 21th century

I agree with the sentiment.  

But in the long run, it doesn't matter what we do in Antarctica - as long as the climate is so cold, not many people will want to live there.  And having a few  friendly games of football is hardly killing the Earth.  I don't hear anyone complaining about playing football in Greenland, which is another nature reserve.  If people are so concerned that playing football damages the Earth, why don't they ban football in Greenland, in the Amazon, in all those low-lying Pacific Islands?  You can't just make arbitrary rulings like "football can't be played in Antarctica".  If it's played in other similar places (i.e. Svalbard, Greenland), why not?  How many penguins will die due to a football match?

One thing we could do is to stop having large families, but then people will say "It's my right to have as many kids as I want".  Well, actually, no it isn't.

Last Edited By: TheRoonBa Jul 8 14 7:59 AM. Edited 3 times.

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

Jul 8 14 9:04 AM

I agree with your  idea about population grow.... it is the main reason why people are needing more space...

For me football is the second most important thing in live, the planet comes first

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Jul 9 14 12:22 AM

TheRoonBa wrote:
One thing we could do is to stop having large families, but then people will say "It's my right to have as many kids as I want".  Well, actually, no it isn't.

You need to invent the reversible sterilization, and then apply it to most of the world's population. 
Perhaps Twitter and Facebook can do the job by keeping everybody too distracted by videos of dancing cats to do anything (pro)creative.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#14 [url]

Jul 9 14 3:50 PM

The internet is more likely to provide means to procreate with dancing cats.

Of course, there are more important things in life than football - I'm just saying that playing football in Antarctica will always be a small-scale, low-profile and amateur occupation, and so is effectively harmless. Nobody is advocating Lionel Messi signing for South Pole FC and building huge footballing infrastructure in Antarctica.

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Jul 9 14 6:01 PM

TheRoonBa wrote:
How many penguins will die due to a football match?
Probably around zero, no publicised fatalities so far smiley: nerd. If anything, they'll be taking part as well, South Korea seems to already have a few natives ready for their Antarctic Base team:

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#17 [url]

Jul 10 14 11:20 AM

nfm24 wrote:
TheRoonBa wrote:
Of course, there are more important things in life than football
smiley: roll
Alternatively, there are many life-preserving tasks which we must endure (breathing/eating/drinking/sleeping/defecating/urinating/procreating) in order that football can be enjoyed.

Quote    Reply   

#19 [url]

Jul 10 14 9:47 PM

TheRoonBa wrote:
Alternatively, there are many life-preserving tasks which we must endure (breathing/eating/drinking/sleeping/defecating/urinating/procreating)

Are these in order?

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#20 [url]

Jul 11 14 6:11 PM

nfm24 wrote:
TheRoonBa wrote:
Alternatively, there are many life-preserving tasks which we must endure (breathing/eating/drinking/sleeping/defecating/urinating/procreating)

Are these in order?
Possibly not...

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help