#41 [url]

Nov 17 14 10:58 PM

07-05-1922 Netherlands 1-2 Belgium
07-05-1933 Netherlands 1-2 Belgium

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#42 [url]

Nov 17 14 11:07 PM

No, It's not their first ever competitice away win . 2006 FIFA World Cup Qualifying 13th october 2004 Luxembourg - Liechtenstein 0:4 by TheRoonBa A day ago I must have got too excited that Liechtenstein won away from home... This is their first ever competitive away victory (only their second overall, after a 1-0 win away to San Marino in a friendly in 2011).

Quote    Reply   

#44 [url]

Nov 18 14 2:03 PM

nfm24 wrote:
Flying the drone was not a worse interruption than throwing flares and stones onto the field aimed at players

So what punishment should we expect for Croatian fans in the Italy vs Croatia game?  Launching fireworks onto the field is surely more dangerous than flying a flag.    In this case of course both teams and all players were not involved in any of the disruption.  But certainly some of the relevant "offences" quoted by UEFA in the Serbia-Albania match could also apply here.   One can overlook minor isolated events such as individual flares thrown onto harmless areas near the field, but launching many fireworks into congested areas of the field is more serious.

Again we have the issue that on the one hand, Croatians are responsible for bringing the fireworks, but also Italian security did not prevent them from being fired.  They dealt with them swiftly afterwards, but it seems still very easy for these guys to bring the flares into the stadium in the first place.

We just want some consistency and clarity in these decisions.   We will be disappointed. 
I predict that Croatia will be fined some insignificant amount, around 50,000 Euros, and maybe a few individual supporters would be arrested, but then it will be forgotten until the next match it happens again.    What would it take for proper action to prevent such events in future?  Does the firework need to hit the referee?

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#45 [url]

Nov 19 14 9:07 PM

Ironhide wrote:
No, It's not their first ever competitice away win . 2006 FIFA World Cup Qualifying 13th october 2004 Luxembourg - Liechtenstein 0:4 
Oh crap. My powers of looking at websites to get historic information in a short period of time are failing.  What can this mean?

OK, it's their first competitive away win against a non-minnow ;-) (I consider Moldova to be slightly above minnow).

Quote    Reply   

#46 [url]

Nov 20 14 1:06 AM

Ah the old "first ever...." trap. I blame Liechtenstein for catching you by surprise. Boooo.

Almost any time any football article mentions something as "this is the first ever...." it is wrong. Though there has to be a first ever time it could be right, I suppose.
This is getting like the "all numbers are interesting" 'proof'.

Quote    Reply   

#47 [url]

Nov 20 14 10:08 AM

UEFA is investigating the intemperances of the Croatian fans. Croatia risks a match behind closed doors or even a points penalization.

By the way, every time Italy hosts the former Yugoslavian countries, there are always problems. I still remember very well the disorders occurred during the friendly versus Slovenia in 2002, in Trieste. Not to mention the Serbian hooligans in Genoa in 2010...

Quote    Reply   

#48 [url]

Nov 20 14 11:44 AM

Luca wrote:
By the way, every time Italy hosts the former Yugoslavian countries, there are always problems.
Then surely Italy needs to do more to prevent it also.  The trouble is not always like this for all away games of Serbia, Croatia etc.  Just those in countries close enough for the bad elements to travel easily.

Serbia and Croatia must have a scheme where the known hooligans have to hand in their passports to police before every away game. 

Quote    Reply   

#49 [url]

Nov 20 14 1:50 PM

nfm24 wrote:
Then surely Italy needs to do more to prevent it also. 

Yes, I agree, but unfortunately, thanks to a plethora of irresponsible protectors of what they pass off as civil liberties, Italy is on the way of a Country where everything is allowed.
I attended, in Trieste, Italy vs Slovenia match, in 2002, and  I still remember how much I was afraid for my car, parked beside a caravan of Slovenian hooligans. 

Quote    Reply   

#50 [url]

Nov 20 14 6:26 PM

Was your car hit by a firework? ;-)

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

TheRoonBa

#52 [url]

Nov 23 14 7:19 AM

In a country where Berlusconi was elected, and even admired, anything is possible.  smiley: wink

It was reported that some English hooligans were supposed to be travelling to cause trouble at the Scotland-England match in Glasgow last week, but it seems nothing happened (maybe because England won?).  Travel is even easier in this case, as there are no international borders, and also England is quite notorious for its hooligans.

Last Edited By: TheRoonBa Nov 23 14 7:21 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#53 [url]

Nov 23 14 12:01 PM

Yes indeed, England (and I think the other British FAs) do have the scheme where banned hooligans must submit passports before away matches. But of course, this cannot stop them travelling within Britain (that pesky referendum again). Unless the match is held in a neutral 3rd party country, such as Qatar.

The only fallout I heard about was that English fans were singing No Surrender etc, probably because the match was at Celtic Park where there is often a large Irish Republican following for Celtic.
Interesting, England has a friendly in Dublin next year so we'll see how that goes.

Quote    Reply   

#54 [url]

Nov 23 14 3:57 PM

TheRoonBa wrote:
In a country where Berlusconi was elected, and even admired, anything is possible.  smiley: wink

In a country where the successors of Berlusconi are opening the "doors"  to everybody, anything is possible.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#55 [url]

Nov 25 14 3:29 PM

nfm24 wrote:
Yes indeed, England (and I think the other British FAs) do have the scheme where banned hooligans must submit passports before away matches. But of course, this cannot stop them travelling within Britain (that pesky referendum again). Unless the match is held in a neutral 3rd party country, such as Qatar.

The only fallout I heard about was that English fans were singing No Surrender etc, probably because the match was at Celtic Park where there is often a large Irish Republican following for Celtic.
Interesting, England has a friendly in Dublin next year so we'll see how that goes.

"God Save The Queen" (which isn't England's anthem, but the UK's), was also fairly quickly drowned out by boos.  This could also be seen as provocation (Rangers fans also sing it, and it could also be a way of saying "Scotland is still part of the UK", being as it was the first SCO-ENG match after the referendum), but it's complicated by the fact that it's also (wrongly in my opinion) the England national team's official pre-match anthem. However, I don't hear it being sung often at England matches otherwise.  England actually doesn't have an official national anthem (Land of Hope and Glory is one of the unofficial ones).

Quote    Reply   

#56 [url]

Nov 25 14 4:39 PM

They used to play it before all the British internationals (sometimes after).
I generally see it as highly disrespectful to boo an anthem, but equally it is unrealistic to expect it not to happen in any situation of rivalry.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#57 [url]

Mar 27 15 10:27 PM

Montenegro 0-0 Russia, abandoned after 67 minutes due to crowd trouble after Russia missed a penalty. Russian goalkeeper was also hit directly by a flare after about 20 seconds and had to be substituted.  Ridiculous that these idiots can still get into football grounds.

Seems that there is something about the Balkans where they can't control fans.  Ban all flares at all sporting events.  There is no reason for them to exist.

Quote    Reply   

#60 [url]

Mar 30 15 8:42 PM

pieter wrote:
the national song of Liechtenstein has the same melody as God save the queen....I did not know this...
I found out in the build-up to Scotland's match with Liechtenstein a few years ago... the home fans promptly booed those poor Liechtensteiners...

On the Montenegro v Russia situation - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32124313 - apparently Russian fans threw the objects, yet both FA's are being 'charged' by UEFA (no word on exactly what the punishments are yet). Montenegro's is for "holding a match that was not played in full" smiley: indifferent. Surely the referee should be 'charged', then...

I wouldn't go as far as banning flares, though (already technically 'banned' in many places but these rules are obviously ignored by ultras in favour of a dramatic-looking atmosphere), maybe have a concentrated effort to try and ban idiots?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help