Remove this ad

#41 [url]

May 29 14 2:15 PM

TheRoonBa wrote:
Difficult to say - Did Italy score 9 against Japan because Japan were tired from their previous match against England? England only lost 1-0 to Denmark - so they were not 'clearly' weaker than Italy (who only drew 1-1 with Denmark). Did England only score 4 against Japan because they didn't know what to expect from this new team? Did Italy then benefit from having seen Japan and discovering that they weren't very good? If Japan had played Italy first instead of England, would they have conceded 9 goals?

However - if 2 more matches were simply added to the end, then yes, I concede - Italy would have been favourites to win - but there is a good chance they might not have beaten England. Denmark drew with Italy, but only managed to beat England 1-0. It's not unreasonable to think that Italy might have struggled against England too. Also, if Denmark knew they needed 9 goals, it might be possible for them to score 9 if they were focused on that target. I think this is also why Italy managed to score 9 - they knew they needed a better goal difference than Denmark to win the tournament.

So, many factors to consider ;-)

Yes, Mark, many factors to consider! I agree.
Therefore: is not more simple to accept "sic et simpliciter" Italy's first place in that tournament?
In the next years Italy won two times "mundialito" and was, without doubt, one of the most strong women team in the world. 
Independently from the format of that Japanese tnmt, I think the final table clearly reflects the real value on field.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

TheRoonBa

#44 [url]

May 30 14 10:09 PM

I think I'd rather sit and write my own article about the tournament based entirely on conjecture and speculation, get it published as a leaflet, and distribute it randomly to 1,000 libraries. Eventually, I hope it will supersede the real information, which is minimal and shoddy. In my conjectural leaflet, Italy will be disqualified for scoring too many goals, and Japan will be declared winners for having the most fans present.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#46 [url]

May 31 14 9:56 AM

Giampaolo wrote:
Wow!!!!
Wonderful! And I want to be the first reader, hoping to get it directly from you, with your personal dedication!

Of course, I will sign it, personalise it, and include a special pack with a lock of hair from each Italian player. I will also include a CD recording from Denmark entitled "We should have played Japan", and a free copy of the book "32 years of speculation - the joys of hindsight". ;-)

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#48 [url]

May 31 14 3:32 PM

32 years later, in women's football Japan are the world champions, so these arguments are a long way from being relevant today.

Though an interesting related discussion could be : which one result (one match) would have changed world football if it had been reversed?

Last Edited By: nfm24 May 31 14 3:37 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#51 [url]

Jun 2 14 11:08 AM

Please open another topic, for this subject.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help