Remove this ad

#21 [url]

Jul 6 16 4:25 PM

Surely it is within your power to arrange a Pugwash Cup involving HMS Clyde and the islands of your choice.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

TheRoonBa

#22 [url]

Jul 6 16 5:04 PM

I've just discovered a great competition known as the "Navy Cup" between HMS ships and the like, complete with results going back to 2008. I reckon that this will allow me to calculate some sort of ranking for Tristan da Cunha and South Georgia as well as Saint Helena.

After hauling in some Malaysian FC Cup results, Hassanal Bolkiah Trophy U-21 tournament results and a Burma v Burma U-21 friendly match result, I can now (again somewhat shakily) calculate a ranking for both Christmas Island and Cocos Islands (seemingly, they are both slightly better than Micronesia and Kiribati, with Christmas Island slightly better again than Cocos Islands).

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#23 [url]

Jul 6 16 7:49 PM

And now, after entering all the "Navy Cup" results (around 200), I can give estimated rankings for Tristan da Cunha (slightly worse than Micronesia) and South Georgia (slightly worse than Sark).

Marshall Islands can be ranked if I can find out the HMS Daring v Kwajalein score from 2013 - HMS Daring rank somewhere just below Niue, so finding the result would give at least some idea of the strength/potential of the Marshall Islands football scene.

Saint Helena can also be ranked if I can find the Falkland Islands v HMS Montrose result of 2012.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#25 [url]

Jul 6 16 11:15 PM

This morning I had a filling at the dentist - I'd say I enjoyed that more than the first half of Portugal-Wales.

Your impressive albeit tenuous ranking extrapolations would be simplified if you just classified all teams in one of the following categories:

1. Reasonably good (e.g. Germany)
2. Solid but impotent (e.g. Switzerland)
3. Decent on a good day (e.g. Hungary)
4. Poor (e.g. England)
5. @%#! (e.g. India)

This kind of ranking has the added benefit of being impervious to actual results, which are unreliable indicators and generally just get in the way.

Quote    Reply   

#26 [url]

Jul 7 16 10:44 PM

nfm24 wrote:
1. Reasonably good (e.g. Germany)
2. Solid but impotent (e.g. Switzerland)
3. Decent on a good day (e.g. Hungary)
After tonight's match I am downgrading Germany to level 2.  France were already in level 1 along with Iceland.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help