Remove this ad

TheRoonBa

Site Admin

Lead

Oct 31 14 9:30 PM

Tags : :

So, Netherlands-Belgium AGAIN in the final of the European Championship.

In World Championship, European Championship and World Games, 21 of the 22 finals (including the current one) have been between Netherlands and Belgium.  Netherlands has won 19 to Belgium's 1, with this year's final taking place on Sunday.  The only time both of these teams haven't qualified for the final was the 2002 European Championship, when Netherlands beat Czech Republic in the final.

Have 2 teams dominated another sport quite like this?
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

TheRoonBa

#2 [url]

Nov 1 14 9:07 AM

Yea, possibly. Sweden-Finland in floorball too. Also, the margin of victory in korfball is worrying for the other teams. Netherlands won their semi-final against Portugal 41-11 (Portugal also had home advantage). That probably translates to a 7 or 8 goal win in football.

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Nov 2 14 3:12 AM

It could be something like a hypothetical football world cup held before about 1910... one would expect the British teams to have crushed all opponents.
Maybe eventually Korfball will become globally popular, and one day Netherlands will struggle to even qualify for the finals ;-)

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Nov 2 14 8:53 PM

I don't know what the korfball eligibility rules are. For football no, because I was only at school there. Though I did play *against* a Brunei national youth team.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

TheRoonBa

#8 [url]

Nov 3 14 1:48 AM

pieter wrote:
Spain does not play korfball? Catalonia does...

Spain played before 1998 (I think). The team at the 1998 European Championship qualifiers in the Netherlands was described as Spain in some news, and Catalonia in other news. I think all the players were Catalan, but they had previously been affiliated as Spain. For some reason, the IKF accepted Catalonia as a member (probably because at that time, they just wanted as many members as possible). Both Catalonia and Spain also play international rugby league, and I believe AMF futsal as well (Galicia and Basque Country also compete separately).

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#9 [url]

Nov 3 14 1:53 AM

Neil, you missed your true calling in life as the IKF's Southeast Asian Korfball representative. Anyway, now you can only dream of the mansion, 3 yachts and fleet of luxury cars, and must be content with a life of drudgery, picking scraps from the vault of footballing obscurity.

Quote    Reply   

#11 [url]

Nov 3 14 4:08 AM

TheRoonBa wrote:
Anyway, now you can only dream of the mansion, 3 yachts and fleet of luxury cars, and must be content with a life of drudgery,
Well, living in Brunei wasn't so bad.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#12 [url]

Jun 3 16 10:24 AM

In qualifying for the European Korfball Championship:

EAST
Poland, Slovakia, Greece, Armenia, Germany, SCOTLAND, Serbia,

WEST
Catalonia, Ireland, France, Sweden, Wales, TURKEY

Not entirely sure how Turkey is WEST and Scotland is EAST...

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Jun 3 16 4:58 PM

Turkey do not want to play Armenia ?  even in korfbal...

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help