Remove this ad

#21 [url]

Feb 24 15 10:56 AM

BTW, Anderlecht, which won the 1976 and 1978 European Cup winners' was and is not from Brussels as Anderlecht is a Brussels suburb. At the time it had a population which was about 100.000.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#22 [url]

Feb 24 15 3:16 PM

Then what about Schalke, a suburb of about 20,000 inhabitants if I'm not wrong, whose club, Schalke 04, once won a UEFA Cup and is often protagonist in Champions League.  

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#24 [url]

Feb 25 15 12:55 PM

I think the Intertoto Cup can probably be discarded, as it is not for the best teams. At least the UEFA Cup/Europa League contains some teams from the Champions League and teams who have finished in the Top 3 at least in their domestic leagues. Also, it was used as a qualifier for the UEFA Cup. Technically, all the domestic leagues and cups in Europe are qualifiers for European competition, so we could say that every league champion in Europe is the winner of a European competition (San Marino and Gibraltar champions would always have low populations).

Quote    Reply   

#25 [url]

Feb 26 15 1:45 AM

TheRoonBa wrote:
I think the Intertoto Cup can probably be discarded

I look forward to hearing the satisfying crunch as it hits the bottom of your dustbin.

Quote    Reply   

#29 [url]

Mar 17 15 10:08 AM

The award for the craziest year surely belongs to 2004. Almost all the international competitions saw resounding upsets.
A Champions League final between Porto and Monaco, with AC Milan and Juventus knocked out by Deportivo La Coruña.
A modest club like Once Caldas won Copa Libertadores.
Tunisia won the Africa Cup of Nations (their first and only win in that competition).
Greece won Euro 2004.

Quote    Reply   

#30 [url]

Apr 28 15 5:42 PM

Not the miracle that people seem to be painting it as, but a great story for AFC Bournemouth, going in a few seasons from starting on -17 points in the 4th tier, to promotion to the Premier League (barring a 20-goal swing at the weekend). More impressive is that it was all done under the same coach, Eddie Howe, who Bournemouth fans once held out buckets for to fundraise his rehiring.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

TheRoonBa

#31 [url]

Apr 28 15 9:06 PM

I think they should come up with a better name than "AFC Bournemouth". They need the AFC to distinguish them from the original Bournemouth (who play in the Wessex League, at the 9th tier of English football).

AFC Bournemouth is actually only their trade name. They are still registered officially with the FA as Bournemouth and Boscombe Athletic, which they were called up until 1972. I remember having a "Big League" team colour wallchart (football game with kicking players - a bigger version of Subbuteo) which had this long name for Bournemouth.

Quote    Reply   

#33 [url]

May 14 15 9:56 AM

In a similar vein to the AFC Bournemouth promotion, Carpi have won Serie B and will be promoted to the highest-level for the first time in their history, likely to be joined in a similar feat by 2nd-placed Frosione. Two clubs who earlier in the season were proposed for rejection by Lazio's president for being Carpi and Frosione.

In the 2. Bundesliga in Germany, FC Ingolstadt are 1 point away from securing promotion, whilst SV Darmstadt (who have been at the highest level before, but only briefly) are 2 points clear in the 2nd automatic spot with 2 games left.

The French leagues currently have Gazalec Ajacco in 2nd place of Ligue 2 close to their first appearance in the highest tier, and in Spain, Girona CF are in the same position in the Segunda Division.

For promotion to the 'major leagues of Europe' alone, it looks like there are a lot of second-tier success stories coming out of this season...

Quote    Reply   

#34 [url]

May 14 15 8:54 PM

And if they had won any of their last three games Tondela (from a town with a population of 29,000) would have already celebrated mathematical promotion to the Portuguese 1ª Liga, another first. They still lead the league table though, so we're likely to see some celebration at a club who gained promotion to the second-level for the first ever time at the end of the 2011/12 season.

Quote    Reply   

#35 [url]

May 14 15 10:14 PM

Interesting, and after the events of tonight, while it isn't surprising enough to fit the thread title, a special mention should go to Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk, who have made their first-ever final in European competition, made even more impressive considering all that has been thrown at them off the pitch this season, factors which also meant UEFA stopped them from playing any of their Europa League games in their own stadium...

Last Edited By: mattsanger92 May 14 15 10:16 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#37 [url]

May 6 16 9:04 AM

Am I the only one to think that all this rhetoric about Leicester City's feat is a bit exaggerated? I mean: they did something unforgettable, but I've heard a lot of comments such as "the biggest upset in sports history" or "the most shocking upset ever" or "the greatest feat in English club football history". Well, I don't agree. I keep thinking that the Nottingham Forest's exploit from 1977/1980, with third place in Second Division, first place in First division and 2 consecutive European Cups, was not less remarkable than this one. Or even Once Caldas winning Copa Libertadores in 2004 after beating Santos, São Paulo and Boca Juniors.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#39 [url]

May 6 16 4:02 PM

I think Leicester's exploits seem more shockworthy than Forest's because they had quite recently (2009) been playing at the 3rd level in England. They were seen as a bit of a "yo-yo" team, spending time in all of the top 3 tiers. Nottingham Forest, on the other hand, had quite extended stays in the top tier, and had only spent 5 years in the 2nd tier just before their promotion (before which they had over a decade in the top tier). Forest have only spent 5 years outside the Top 2 tiers in their entire history, and they had finished 2nd in the 1966-67 season, so were already on the "radar" as far as potentially being able to finish quite high in the Top division.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help