Remove this ad

Lead

Jan 26 15 6:32 PM

Tags : :

In this post one can see a goal which has been credited to Dennis Bergkamp. The 1-0 against Brazil on 09-10-1999 was deflected by Roberto Carlos.

Does any of the forumures know goals which might have been credited to the wrong player in an A-international match?
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Jan 26 15 6:40 PM

Here I have another one, the 0-1 scored at the Holland 1-1 Austria match played on 27-03-1974. In Austria the Austrian goal is registered as an own goal scored by Ruud Krol, in Holland as a goal scored by Hans Krankl.

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Jan 27 15 1:33 AM

There must be hundreds. When you have the video it is possible to check errors, but for old matches with conflicting news reports we have to just report both possibilities.

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Jan 27 15 10:16 AM

A very famous case happened over the 1950 World Cup match Uruguay-Bolivia 8-0.
According to the oldest reports, Juan Alberto Schiaffino of Uruguay scored 5 goals, but in June 1994, Schiaffino himself declared that he actually scored only 2.

Source: La Repubblica.

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Jan 27 15 7:31 PM

The report in "O Globo", dated 3 July 1950, gives the scorers as
Julio Perez 14' 78', Vidal 17', Schiaffino 22' 54', Miguez 39' 51', Ghiggia 84'

Most sources list Miguez as scorer of the first goal, for 3 overall. Hmm.

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Jan 29 15 10:42 AM

Calcio 2000 52 from 2002; La Raccolta Completa degli Album Panini 1977/78; Storia del Calcio di Gian Paolo Ormezzano and Guida Al Calcio 83/84 report Jan Poortvliet as goalscorer for Netherlands in the 1978 World Cup final, but Dick Nanninga was surely the exact one.

As to Uruguay-Bolivia 8-0, both Calcio 2000 50 from 2002 and Guerin Sportivo 11 from 1994 report:

14' Schiaffino; 18' Vidal; 23', 45', 56', 59' Schiaffino; 73' Pérez; 83' Ghiggia.

La Raccolta Completa degli Album Panini 1964/65 gives:

14' Míguez; 18' Vidal; 23' Schiaffino; 45', 56' Míguez; 59' Schiaffino; 73' Pérez; 83' Ghiggia.

Corriere dello Sport from July 3, 1950 reports:

14' Míguez; 20' Vidal; 23' Schiaffino; 40' Míguez; 56', 60' Schiaffino; 73' Pérez; 83' Ghiggia.

Correio da Manhã
from July 4, 1950 has:

12' Míguez; 17' Schiaffino; 22' Vidal; 39' Míguez; 51' Míguez; 54' Schiaffino; 78' Pérez; 84' Ghiggia.

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Mar 29 15 11:17 AM

At this moment the question is who scored yesterday's late Dutch equaliser against Turkey. Initially it was thought Wesley Sneijder scored. UEFA credited Klaas-Jan Huntelaar. Watch this video and make your own conclusion.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#11 [url]

Mar 30 15 12:34 AM

That goal was about 90% Sneijder, 10% Huntelaar, but traditionally the attacker's "last touch" is favoured in such cases. Whereas with own-goals a similar slight touch by a defender would not be regarded a definitive own goal, if it did not significantly deflect the ball.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#12 [url]

Mar 30 15 7:20 AM

The easiest way to define (though perhaps not satisfactory for the one who put in the effort to score) would be that the last touch before crossing the line counts in all cases. This would result in a lot more own goals, I guess, but at least the decision would not be subjective.

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Mar 30 15 9:29 AM

nfm24 wrote:
That goal was about 90% Sneijder, 10% Huntelaar, but traditionally the attacker's "last touch" is favoured in such cases. Whereas with own-goals a similar slight touch by a defender would not be regarded a definitive own goal, if it did not significantly deflect the ball.

To be honest, when I watched that match at home I did not notice Huntelaar even touched the ball.

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Mar 30 15 5:28 PM

> The easiest way to define (though perhaps not satisfactory for the one who put in the effort to score) would be that the last touch

It could be the last touch by a player for the scoring team... then there would be no own-goals. I remember on the original "FIFA" game for the Sega Megadrive, if you scored an own-goal then the nearest opposing player would celebrate as if he had scored, even if he was 30 yards away.

Or, allow goals to be credited to more than one player.

Typically the last "deliberate" action or last "significant" deflection is considered, but there is no consistency.

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Mar 30 15 5:42 PM

A logical reason for not counting own goals is that (under normal circumstances) one don't make an attempt to score an own goal. But one discussion still will remain. Let's take Dutch late equalizer against Turkey last Saturday. Did Huntelaar deflected Sneijder's shot on purpose? That's debatable. But if it was not done on purpose it looks most fair to me to credit the player who made the serious attempt to score.

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

Mar 30 15 5:48 PM

Sometimes players also score goals (in the correct direction) unintentionally... e.g. a bad cross that goes directly in, or a long aimless hoof which the goalkeeper fails to catch.

Quote    Reply   

#18 [url]

Mar 30 15 6:41 PM

How about Zlatan's goal vs Moldova? The goalkeeper, under minimal pressure, boots the ball straight against Zlatan's head and (of course, being Zlatan) the ball flies into the goal.

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

Mar 30 15 8:33 PM

Fast Midfielder wrote:
A logical reason for not counting own goals is that (under normal circumstances) one don't make an attempt to score an own goal. But one discussion still will remain. Let's take Dutch late equalizer against Turkey last Saturday. Did Huntelaar deflected Sneijder's shot on purpose? That's debatable. But if it was not done on purpose it looks most fair to me to credit the player who made the serious attempt to score.
According to Huntelaar himself it was on purpose: 
"Ik stond in de lijn van het schot van Sneijder en dacht: als ik de bal van richting verander is de keeper zeker kansloos. Ja, het was bewust, al moest Wesley het vieren. Die wilde volgens mij laten zien dat zijn vrouw zwanger is."

nfm24 wrote:
Sometimes players also score goals (in the correct direction) unintentionally... e.g. a bad cross that goes directly in, or a long aimless hoof which the goalkeeper fails to catch.
This how I scored one of my (very few) goals...

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help