Remove this ad

Lead

Feb 17 15 1:38 PM

Tags : :

as the preliminaries are also for the WC 2018, N.Marianas will not be able to play for the Asia Cup 2019.....have I got this right?
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Feb 17 15 10:59 PM

Looks like it. The draw has already been made for the preliminary round, and AFC are not involved.

The AFC Challenge cup has also been discontinued, so I think NMI will need to either join FIFA, or content themselves with EAFF competitions.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#6 [url]

Mar 15 15 6:00 PM

Mostly due to the fact they never got the chance to play equally poor teams before, not because they were really bad compared to other teams.

A lot was made in the press of Bhutan being the "worst team in the world" before their match against Sri Lanka, but that was also just because FIFA rankings are rubbish. Even the Bhutan captain knew his team weren't the worst team in the world, and said it was just a result of them not playing many matches (this was one of the factors for them being ranked bottom, but the main one is FIFA's ranking being crap).

I remember Bhutan were ranked bottom once before, and then a great deal was made of it and a special match with Montserrat was played (which they won easily 4-0 - a shock to everyone who holds FIFA rankings dearly who might have been expecting a closer match).

Anyway - not to take anything away from the teams with my misery!

Well done to Bhutan and East Timor.

The first AFC Challenge Cup was not a qualifier for the Asian Cup, but the teams involved were not allowed to enter the Asian Cup, so for them, it was the "most official" tournament in AFC that they were eligible to play in.

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Mar 16 15 12:29 PM

TheRoonBa wrote:
A lot was made in the press of Bhutan being the "worst team in the world" before their match against Sri Lanka, but that was also just because FIFA rankings are rubbish. Even the Bhutan captain knew his team weren't the worst team in the world

Absolutely.  I can't work out which is more irritating - that the rankings are so bad (at the lower end especially), or that international media are so lazy as to just jump on this "worst team" angle.  

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Apr 10 15 6:43 AM

and now by playing preliminaries Bhutan and Timor are in pot 4 along with N.Korea.....Malaysia and Hongkong are in pot 5 (due to the fact they only played friendlies?)    

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Apr 10 15 2:38 PM

Elsewhere I wrote: the FIFA ranking is not as transparent as alleged by FIFA. It's a small grab bag filled with many surprises. Each factor by itself contains distorting tendencies you never would expect.

The fact that the other teams only played friendlies plays a major role. In the particular case the outcome is affected by an additional absurdity in FIFA ranking system.
Timor-Leste won twice against Mongolia (#195 at the time of the matches). If you consider the
original FIFA calculations (Points last month), factor T (= strength of the opponent) is 50. That means, for the purpose of calculation ranking points, Timor-Leste defeated twice #150 …
Yes a team, beat 5 times Cook Islands (or Tonga) would be #102 in the current FIFA ranking …

The main problem of FIFA ranking system but is actually the manner of computation of the averages of ranking points. Here the ranking system works according the way shell game players do their job
(shell game – in Dutch known as ‘balletje-balletje’?).
In the processing of the data is the intellectual fraud. The deterioration of the ranking numbers despite victories against (even stronger) teams discloses only that something is wrong.

Different schedules in the different continents then have a very big impact on the rankings. Currently – South American or the vast majority of teams of CONCACAF can not play competitive matches – because there are no competitions; European Teams – e.g. Switzerland or Romania (but also Belgium) - benefit from that fact.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#12 [url]

Apr 11 15 9:35 PM

TheRoonBa wrote:
The FIFA ranking is currently better than my ranking. This is a terrible situation and must be fixed soon.

You're doing yourself a disservice. The FIFA ranking currently has Aruba four places ahead of Georgia...

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#13 [url]

Apr 12 15 10:55 AM

Kaizeler wrote:
TheRoonBa wrote:
The FIFA ranking is currently better than my ranking. This is a terrible situation and must be fixed soon.

You're doing yourself a disservice. The FIFA ranking currently has Aruba four places ahead of Georgia...
Surely a product of the "zero points for all defeats" policy.  Georgia losing a lot recently (albeit to good teams like Germany, Poland, Scotland) while Aruba beats world superpowers such as Turks & Caicos Islands, British Virgin Islands and Guam.

Still, it is better to have a functioning ranking (no matter how poor) than to have none at all.  I concede defeat temporarily...

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#14 [url]

Apr 12 15 11:00 AM

pieter wrote:
and now by playing preliminaries Bhutan and Timor are in pot 4 along with N.Korea.....Malaysia and Hongkong are in pot 5 (due to the fact they only played friendlies?)    

East Timor almost made it into Pot 3 just because they beat Mongolia. 

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

Apr 12 15 3:23 PM

TheRoonBa wrote:
Still, it is better to have a functioning ranking (no matter how poor) than to have none at all.  I concede defeat temporarily...

It would be rather quick and easy to put up an improved "ranking" to FIFA's with negligible effort by, say, copying the FIFA ranking and switching a few stupidly ranked teams by hand.  Call it the FIFA FUDGE ranking or something.

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Apr 14 15 6:14 PM

Group A: UAE, Saudi Arabia, Palestine, Timor Leste, Malaysia
Group B: Australia, Jordan, Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, Bangladesh
Group C: China PR, Qatar, Maldives, Bhutan, Hong Kong
Group D: Iran, Oman, India, Turkmenistan, Guam
Group E: Japan, Syria, Afghanistan, Singapore, Cambodia
Group F: Iraq, Vietnam, Thailand, Indonesia, Chinese Taipei
Group G: Korea Republic, Kuwait, Lebanon, Myanmar, Laos
Group H: Uzbekistan, Bahrain, Philippines, Korea DPR, Yemen

Quote    Reply   

#18 [url]

Apr 14 15 7:29 PM

Thanks.
The reality is making jokes about the FIFA rankings - and in this case about their critics ...
Timor Leste (pot 4, “really” pot 5) vs Malaysia (pot 5, “really” pot 4)
Bhutan (pot 4, “really” pot 5) vs Hong Kong (pot 5, “really” pot 4)

Perhaps the reality was obedient to you … Stop the discussion about the nonsensical rankings! In some cases they are irrelevant.

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

Apr 14 15 11:10 PM

It will be interesting to see if there are any upsets in these groups. In Asia there is such disparity between the strong teams and weak teams, it is hard to imagine any of the top 2 seeds in the groups finishing 3rd or lower, except maybe Group F (because the 2nd seed is weak and also Thailand is generally better than Vietnam), and Group H (due to the typically under-ranked North Korea).

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help