Remove this ad

Lead

Apr 15 15 9:36 PM

Tags : :

As some of you may have heard, England qualified to this tournament in unusual manner last week, replaying and re-scoring a 90+6' minute penalty from their first match against Norway immediately after the third matchday of the mini-tournament, along with the final 3 minutes that followed.

This is the first time that UEFA have ever made such a decision, after the German referee of the match was sent home from Northern Ireland due to not allowing a retake in the original for encroachment as the rules required. They have stated their confidence that the precedent will not be required for any of their higher-profile games due to the high quality of referees, which is just tempting fate to the extreme...

Fortunately for Norway, conceding led to the match ending 2-2, which was still good enough to send them through as best runners-up for the tournament in Israel.

Interesting side-note, the top 4 teams of the main tournament this July will qualify for the 2016 FIFA U-20 Women's World Cup, which FIFA have recently announced will be hosted by Papua New Guinea.
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Apr 15 15 10:30 PM

mattsanger92 wrote:
They have stated their confidence that the precedent will not be required for any of their higher-profile games due to the high quality of referees, which is just tempting fate to the extreme...

Hilarious.  In my view it shouldn't make a difference whether a referee's error was technical (wrong application) or judgmental (wrong outcome).

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Apr 16 15 11:34 AM

I look forward to the following 'You are the UEFA official' scenario playing out next week at the Camp Nou:

After a brilliant performance away from home, PSG are 2-0 up and have Ibrahimovic standing over an injury-time penalty that would put them through and Barcelona out. He scores, but the referee notices an encroachment and gives a free-kick to Barca, who see out the game to win on away goals, PSG are eliminated at the quarter-finals for the 3rd season in a row. In the tunnel, Zlatan proceeds to politely bemoan the state of UEFA's referees and suggests that Europe do not deserve PSG in their continent. What happens next?

Last Edited By: mattsanger92 Apr 16 15 11:42 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Apr 16 15 6:13 PM

The most implausible part about that is PSG keeping a clean sheet in the Nou Camp. Have you seen David Luiz?

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#5 [url]

Apr 22 15 5:37 PM

mattsanger92 wrote:
After a brilliant performance away from home, PSG are 2-0 up and have Ibrahimovic standing over an injury-time penalty that would put them through and Barcelona out. He scores, but the referee notices an encroachment and gives a free-kick to Barca, who see out the game to win on away goals, PSG are eliminated at the quarter-finals for the 3rd season in a row. In the tunnel, Zlatan proceeds to politely bemoan the state of UEFA's referees and suggests that Europe do not deserve PSG in their continent. What happens next?
My prediction was a little off... at least I got the 2-0 right...

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Apr 22 15 7:01 PM

My David Luiz prediction was mostly accurate. He is quite good as a kamikaze defender, when you need someone to throw himself in the way. But sometimes, you need a defender to just stay with the attacker...

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help