Remove this ad

Lead

May 2 15 9:24 AM

Tags : :

For some strange reason, some very good players never got the chance to appear for their National team.

I think one of the most famous cases is represented by Arsenio Erico. Born in Paraguay in 1915, he moved to Argentina when he was very young. He is the all-time highest goalscorer in the Argentine first division, with 295 goals. Alfredo Di Stéfano used to define him “the best player I've ever admired”. In spite of all, he never represented the two National teams.

For Scotland - I don't know whether Neil agrees - I would mention the striker John Campbell. He was the top-scorer in the English League three times.

For Italy, well, there's a long and interesting list. I just cite two champions: goalkeeper Sebastiano Rossi and stopper Sergio Brio. Rossi was one of the best Italian goalkeepers in the 1990s. He won a Champions League with AC Milan and still holds the record for the longest streak without conceding a goal in Serie A history. He was called up in just two occasions, but never played for Italy.
Brio was a formidable marker in the 1980s. If I just think that Andrea Ranocchia owns 18 caps and Sergio Brio none, I go mad!!! Jokes apart, Sergio also won as protagonist all the international competitions with Juventus and neutralized almost all the best strikers of that time.

In your countries, which are the best players who never got the chance to appear for the National team?
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#3 [url]

May 3 15 11:12 AM

Kaizeler wrote:
Heinz 'Kroket' Stuy kept a clean sheet in three European Cup finals, but that was not enough to earn him a single cap throughout his career.

Jan van Beveren, Piet Schrijvers, Pim Doesburg and Jan Jongbloed were just better goalkeepers. Stuy just played in the very best Dutch clubteam at the time.

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

May 9 15 9:35 AM

Thanks. For England I've found Craig Johnston. He won some caps with England Under-21, but never appeared for the "A" National team. Johnston was an important all-around midfielder for Liverpool in the 1980s, when he won the European Cup.

Provisional Top-11:

Goalkeepers: Rossi (Italy) or Stuy (Netherlands)
Defenders: Blankenburg (West Germany), Brio (Italy)
Midfielders: Johnston (England)
Forwards: Campbell (Scotland), Erico (Paraguay)

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

May 15 15 6:53 PM

Thanks, good points, I forgot about them.
And what about Brazil? This article from Globoesporte states that the best player to have never appeared for Seleção is Danilo. A skillful and classy midfielder with a good goal sense. He won no less than two Club World Cups and two Copa Libertadores titles with two different clubs (São Paulo and Corinthians).

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

May 17 15 9:57 AM

For France, I would say one of the best players to have never worn the National team kit is Pascal Olmeta.
Goalkeeper, owner of 474 caps in Division 1 and winner of the 1992/93 Champions League with Olympique de Marseille (although as a reserve). Finalist in 1991.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#11 [url]

May 18 15 12:09 PM

Ruud Hesp and Kiki Musampa for Netherlands
Mikel Arteta and Oleguer for Spain
Igor Protti, Dario Hubner and Pietro Paolo Virdis (topscorers of Serie A) for Italy

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

May 19 15 2:20 PM

Another famous one from Netherlands: Piet den Boer. He was the forward of the amazing Malines winner of the 1987/88 Cup Winners's Cup, scoring decisive goals in semifinal versus Atalanta and in final versus Ajax. He never got the best on competitors like Marco van Basten and John Bosman and never wore the National team shirt.

John McGovern
(Scotland) was the captain of Nottingham Forest European champion in 1978/79 and in 1979/80. He also won the English title in 1971/72 with Derby County and in 1977/78 with Forest. Strangely, he never won any caps with the National team.

Does anybody know if Delio Onnis played for Argentina? He's still the best bomber ever in the French League (299 goals). For sure he never played for France.

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

May 19 15 2:38 PM

According to the (English) Wikipedia site your link shows Onnis scored 21 goals in 14 matches for Argentina in the 1966-69 era, but Guy Oliver's Guinnes Record of World does not report any goals of Onnis. Wikipedia sites in other lanuages report no caps for Argentina. Onnis was born in Italy and had Italian and Argentinian citizenship, so this explains why he never played for France. I am very surprised you did not know about his Italian roots Luca. Somehow a bit disappointed.................

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

May 19 15 2:41 PM

Note that Piet den Boer was born in the Rotterdam qaurter of Charlois, which the old Rotterdam people pronounce both as Saarloos (means without Saar, Saar is a Dutch girl name derivated from Sarah) and Charleroi (the Belgian city). Boer is the Dutch word of Farmer.

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

May 22 15 9:19 AM

Fast Midfielder wrote:
Onnis was born in Italy and had Italian and Argentinian citizenship, so this explains why he never played for France. I am very surprised you did not know about his Italian roots Luca. Somehow a bit disappointed.................

Ehm... Fast Midfielder... you underestimate me smiley: devilsmiley: laugh I know about his Italian origins from 1985, as Guerin Sportivo 35 from 1985 reports an interesting article about him.

148cgo.jpg

Quote    Reply   

#18 [url]

May 22 15 6:16 PM

I thought the conclusion was that all great players must be Italian in some way. And vice versa (except Massimo Taibi - he is the exception that proves the rule).

Quote    Reply   

#19 [url]

May 22 15 9:08 PM

As far as I am informed the oldest human skeletons have been found in Uganda. Redirecting this to Adam and Eve, we all have Ugandan ancestors. Even all Italian players who have won the World Cup. I guess our big friend Blatter is not as he is an alien who, in 1936, has been delivered in Switzerland by an UFO instead of a stork.

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

May 22 15 9:19 PM

Luca wrote:
Another famous one from Netherlands: Piet den Boer. He [...] never wore the National team shirt.
Oh, but he did. In 1981 (when he was a player of amateur club Xerxes) he played in the Dutch national amateur team that took part in the Marah Halim Cup (http://www.rsssf.com/tablesm/marahhalim.html#1981)
BTW, even I wore the national team shirt! As a supporter of Oranje of course ;-)

PS, Piet den Boer must not be confused with Piet de Boer who played one international match for the Netherlands, scoring three times within 14 minutes! (28 November 1937, WCQ vs Luxemburg, score 4-0)

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help