Remove this ad

TheRoonBa

Site Admin

Lead

Jun 9 15 12:11 PM

Tags : :

Surprisingly, there isn't a topic for this.  Now there is.  Woohoo.

This is the first tournament with 24 teams, but unlike the men's tournament when it transitioned from 16 to 24 teams, the gulf in class between 1 and 24 is huge (with the exception of El Salvador's men getting stage-fright and losing 10-1 to Hungary).  Especially Africa has seen some mixed results.

Germany 10-0 Ivory Coast - Ivory Coast's first World Cup, and first time playing against a non-African team (unless we count a friendly tournament in France in 1992, where they conceded a relatively modest 13 goals in 3 games against France, the CIS and USA U-20).  Probably not the ideal opponent for them in their first match.  The loss was blamed on "lack of preparation".  Certainly, they should have arranged at least 1 match against a non-African team before the tournament.

Cameroon 6-0 Ecuador - Cameroon and Ecuador both appearing for the first time.  Cameroon benefited from Ecuador's poor discipline, scoring 3 penalties.  Before the match, I would have put the chances of a draw as pretty high, but it seems on the day that Cameroon were better prepared, and also they had the benefit of competing in the 2012 Olympics.

Nigeria 3-3 Sweden - Nigeria caused problems for Sweden, who are no longer dominant, but are still comfortably a Top 10 team.  As usual for African teams, it was their "athleticism" and "speed" that caused problems.

Back in Africa, if Nigeria, Cameroon and Ivory Coast were to play a tournament, the results would probably be close.  Nigeria perhaps winning by 1 against Cameroon, and 2 or 3 against Ivory Coast.  However, their experience of playing against non-African teams is certainly telling.

Outside Africa, debutants Thailand also looked out of their depth - a 4-0 defeat to Norway, but it could have been worse.  They were seemingly outdone by the sheer size of the Norway players.

However, these teams (Thailand and Ivory Coast) are in reality not even in the Top 24, but somewhere around the 30-35 rank.  It's just because of the continental breakup of qualifiers that they got in in the first place (Thailand only sneaked in because North Korea was suspended).  It will be interesting to see who comes out on top in the match between the 2 inexperienced teams (Ivory Coast v Thailand).  An interesting contrast in styles.  Thailand has limited experience against non-Asian teams (a few games against Australia, a 7-0 defeat to Netherlands in a friendly), but this might not be enough if Ivory Coast get physical.  It seems that in women's football, it's still possible to play direct, physical football and 'bully' technically more gifted but physically smaller teams into defeat.
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

TheRoonBa

#1 [url]

Jun 9 15 12:17 PM

And of course, there is always USA. They always seem to find a way to win - scoring many late goals in previous matches. They won 3-1 against Australia yesterday, although Australia were probably just as good on the day. Abby Wambach, who is 35, is the world's leading international goalscorer (men and women) with 182 goals in 243 matches, but much of these have been facilitated by the fact that the USA usually plays friendly matches at home against weaker opponents (in reality, there are only around 4 or 5 teams who can compete with the US). It will be interesting to see if she goes for 200 goals. It should be quite easy for her to score 18 more goals, especially if a few more friendly matches can be arranged against the likes of Costa Rica or Mexico.

Quite a few firsts in this World Cup - 8 countries making their debut (a third of the total number of teams), first use of goal-line technology (Hawk-eye - those familiar with tennis will find it looks - well, familiar), and also first use of artificial turf at a World Cup.

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Jun 9 15 2:44 PM

TheRoonBa wrote:
Surprisingly, there isn't a topic for this.  Now there is.  Woohoo.
Because it is now so mainstream that it falls outwith the scope of the Roon Ba Forum Beacon of Ineffability. 

> The loss was blamed on "lack of preparation"

This is not so much an excuse as just a tautology (cause and effect).  It's like saying you crashed the plane because you ddn't put enough fuel in it.  They could at least have said "lack of funding" or "surfeit of embezzlement" or something more informative.

> Cameroon 6-0 Ecuador

I watched the first 15 minutes of this.  Having never watched either team before, I stereotypically expected Cameroon would have size, pace, and power with direct attacking but be clumsy and a bit disorganized, while Ecuador might have more technique, be able to pass the ball a bit more and be tactically better but ultimately powder puff and just be easily bullied off the park.  I was hoping that these naive stereotypes might be disproved... oh well.

A bit puzzled that so many players going down with cramp in the first game of a tournament.  Ivory Coast deserved to score at least once vs Germany.  The German keeper even tried to help them on a couple of occasions.  Germany vs Thailand is going to be interesting.

I wonder what kind of training the likes of Thailand and Ecuador did to prepare for the type of opponents they would face?  Just training in your own style of play isn't going to be enough when you're playing against such different opponents.

How come there is no Roon Ba patented prediction tournament?

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#3 [url]

Jun 9 15 4:23 PM

All Roon Ba prediction tournaments have been cancelled until further notice due to an ongoing investigation into all maths common rooms in the UK for traces of illegal foresight.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#5 [url]

Jun 9 15 10:57 PM

FIFA put the wrong score on their site for Costa Rica 1-1 Spain (they duplicated the goals and wrote 2-2). Someone not paying attention... (FIFA update the results themselves for their own competitions).

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Jun 9 15 11:01 PM

I think the FBI should look into this clear match fixing, and arrest all FIFA employees immediately. They can easily be replaced by monkeys with typewriters.

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Jun 14 15 12:45 PM

Congratulations to Colombia on their brilliant result against France yesterday. Tournament favourites going down to a team recording their first-ever World Cup win.

Yoreli Rincon was pulling out some impressive skill moves, and Sandra Sepulveda defied the (admittedly accurate) stereotypes of women's goalkeeping being poor, but didn't help their cause too much when she went down with an injured arm for a few minutes immediately after making a world-class save...

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Jun 14 15 12:54 PM

mattsanger92 wrote:
the (admittedly accurate) stereotypes of women's goalkeeping being poor

It is sad that this stereotype is so accurate, even among the top level (professional) nations.  England's keeper gave Mexico a free goal yesterday, and Norway's did the same vs Germany.  Germany's own keeper looked very shaky with crosses and corners.  But perhaps it's psychosomatic, and maybe there are actually just as many goals from direct keeper-gaffes in top men's nations as well.   Someone should count that up.

I did quite like the Costa Rican goalkeeper.

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Jun 18 15 2:39 PM

The chances are very low, but I would love to see Colombia beat the USA. I much prefer the Colombian style of play. Sadly, like several teams, they seem to have 10 midfielders without any real commanding defenders, so I expect them to get bummed by bog-standard set pieces.

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Jun 18 15 4:33 PM

I also think Nigeria could have done better had their coach not been such a buffoon.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#12 [url]

Jul 2 15 10:17 PM

It was ironic that neither side displayed any significant quality apart from England's battling old-school defending, and in the end it was just that which backfired in a hideous piece of bad luck. Japan were there for the taking in the second half but somehow none of those chances went in for England.

Germany were disappointing against USA, they didn't really turn up and got dominated in several key areas.

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Jul 7 15 10:30 PM

England won 3rd Place! I didn't read any newspapers the day after but I'm sure a few had puns on Lucy Bronze...

And the Final ended USA 5-2 Japan, incredible first 16 minutes from the Americans and especially Carli Lloyd. If they carried on at that rate they would have won 24-0.

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

Jul 8 15 6:31 AM

mattsanger92 wrote:
[...]
And the Final ended USA 5-2 Japan, incredible first 16 minutes from the Americans and especially Carli Lloyd. If they carried on at that rate they would have won 24-0.

World Cup final 1974 (men) Netherlands - West Germany 1-0 after two minutes. If they carried on that rate they would have won 45-0! smiley: wink

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Jul 8 15 11:10 AM

Sensini wrote:

World Cup final 1974 (men) Netherlands - West Germany 1-0 after two minutes. If they carried on that rate they would have won 45-0! smiley: wink

When the Dutch have won that match 44-0 I would have been pleased toosmiley: roll

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#18 [url]

Jul 8 15 6:53 PM

I think there's a lower limit on the number of minutes that can be played before one can reasonably extrapolate a possible final score from a partial result.

In cricket, it's 5 overs in a 20 over match (25% of the match) and 20 overs in a 50 over match (40% of the match). Not sure why it's not the same in both. In football, I reckon it's 45 minutes. But of course, it's dangerous with 2 evenly matched teams if one is leading 4-0 to then say they will win 8-0 (if it's a good v weak team, it's more likely to give successful results).

Anyway, just my little aside!

Quote    Reply   

#19 [url]

Jul 10 15 9:22 AM

nfm24 wrote:
I much prefer the Colombian style of play. Sadly, like several teams, they seem to have 10 midfielders without any real commanding defenders, so I expect them to get bummed by bog-standard set pieces.

For Colombia read Japan.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help