Remove this ad

Lead

Jul 31 15 6:50 PM

Tags : :

Even though they lost 2-1 in the game itself, congratulations (or something) to Aberdeen FC, who broke the record for longest away journey in a European cup competition with their UEFA Europa League trip to Kairat Almaty, a 1-way trip if driving of almost 8,000km exactly (and 87 hours). Kairat will of course equal that record next week:

(Lightweights, just wait until SC Praiense draw FC Sakhalin Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk...)

Is this simple benchmark of 8,000km the furthest any club has ever had to travel for an away fixture (not counting any 'neutral' venue competitions like the Club World Cup). My guess is 'probably not' considering other continents (or countries, Russia) are bigger... but let the discussion begin.
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Aug 1 15 4:25 PM

I think you answered your own question in your last sentence. Other continents are generally bigger than Europe, assuming a club from the Azores isn't drawn to play in Vladivostok.

Aberdeen to Almaty is 5500km on the geodesic. In the last round of the Copa Libertadores, Tigres (Monterrey) vs Internacional (Porto Alegre), is over 8000km. Asian Champions League final last year: 12800km between Sydney and Riyadh.

Last Edited By: nfm24 Aug 1 15 4:28 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Aug 10 15 4:49 PM

nfm24 wrote:
I think you answered your own question in your last sentence.
Normally I might make a response to that, but I'm on 999 posts right now and want to save #1000 for something spec- ...oh.

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Aug 11 15 8:26 PM

nfm24 wrote:
Yes, but it is like the Millennium... should you celebrate on 1st January 2000 or 2001 ?
Well I'd definitely always go with the 0, but I could make an exception... ah.

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Aug 26 15 9:21 AM

The 2014 AFC Champions League final between Al-Hilal and Western Sydney Wanderers was very interesting. The first leg was in Sydney, while the second leg was in Riyadh. The distance is of 12,764 kms!

Also remarkable the 1986 World Cup qualifiers, with Israel, Australia and New Zealand competing in the same group, so imagine how many kilometres they had to face! And in vain, because none of those teams managed to qualify...

Another World Cup qualifier: Soviet Union-Chile 0-0 from 26/09/1973. Chileans had to face a trip of 14,120 kms considering the distance between Santiago and Moscow, but imagine if some fanatic supporters from Easter Island decided to follow the team... smiley: eek

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Aug 26 15 9:17 PM

Luca wrote:

imagine how many kilometres they had to face! And in vain, because none of those teams managed to qualify...
All teams which fail to qualify should be made to offset their carbon footprint by growing forests instead of plush offices for corrupt football administrators.

Obviously, the teams which do qualify can continue being corrupt as usual.

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Aug 27 15 11:46 AM

nfm24 wrote:
Luca wrote:

imagine how many kilometres they had to face! And in vain, because none of those teams managed to qualify...
All teams which fail to qualify should be made to offset their carbon footprint by growing forests instead of plush offices for corrupt football administrators.
They can't do both? Seems like a very corporate PR exercise to be planting seeds...

Reminds me of F1 shouting out their green credentials recently having switched to hybrid engines... conveniently forgetting how they take those engines (& hundreds of staff, etc.) by plane around Europe onto Australia to Asia to Europe and back around to Asia all in the space of a year, with a few quick excursions to the Americas inbetween for good measure...

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Aug 27 15 12:00 PM

Luca wrote:

Another World Cup qualifier: Soviet Union-Chile 0-0 from 26/09/1973. Chileans had to face a trip of 14,120 kms considering the distance between Santiago and Moscow, but imagine if some fanatic supporters from Easter Island decided to follow the team... smiley: eek

Of course, I don't think the Soviets decided to return the favour... ahh politics:

Surely the courteous thing to do in this situation is to let the Chilean goalkeeper score the goal?

Back on club games, congratulations to FC Astana for making the Champions League group stage for the first time, a draw against FC Porto (7356km driving, 6173km air) or any Western European club should shatter the competition's records if we go by UEFA's strange 'group stage onwards is all that counts' stance...

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

Aug 29 15 3:34 PM

Luca wrote:
Really not the most comfortable group for Astana, with two "excursions" in Lisbon and Madrid...

Would save a lot of travelling for them to play the match in Lisbon on a Tuesday and the match in Madrid two days later.

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Aug 31 15 8:53 PM

Fast Midfielder wrote:
Luca wrote:
Really not the most comfortable group for Astana, with two "excursions" in Lisbon and Madrid...

Would save a lot of travelling for them to play the match in Lisbon on a Tuesday and the match in Madrid two days later.

Unfortunately that logic probably won't be used because 'protecting the brand' or a similar boo-worthy reason.

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Nov 30 15 9:42 AM

Interesting the 2015 CAF Confederation Cup final between Orlando Pirates and Étoile du Sahel. Distance between Johannesburg and Sousse is approximately 7,134 km.

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Nov 30 15 8:01 PM

Luca wrote:
Interesting the 2015 CAF Confederation Cup final between Orlando Pirates and Étoile du Sahel. Distance between Johannesburg and Sousse is approximately 7,134 km.

Considering that they had to fly back, with 14000+ km of travel just for the final alone those two teams must be contenders for the title of 'furthest distance travelled in a single competition'.

Quote    Reply   

#18 [url]

Dec 3 15 11:43 AM

Kaizeler wrote:
Luca wrote:

Considering that they had to fly back, with 14000+ km of travel just for the final alone those two teams must be contenders for the title of 'furthest distance travelled in a single competition'.
And what about the 2014 AFC Champions League final between Al-Hilal and Western Sydney Wanderers? The first leg was in Sydney, while the second leg was in Riyadh. The distance between the two cities is of 12,764 km!

TheRoonBa wrote:
This is almost 2% of the distance from the earth to the moon.

In fact, Étoile does mean "star" in French

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

Dec 11 15 7:39 PM

Hmmm... I think Al-Hilal don't need. They are seated on oil fields!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help