Remove this ad

#21 [url]

Jun 7 16 1:24 AM

nfm24 wrote:
abramjones wrote:
The current international sports situation: wiping your ass with a leaf. my scenario: wiping your ass with toilet paper.

I don't see much of an improvement. 

Maybe I will have to explain it to you a few thousand more times and you will see it (: The improvement under my system or a system similar to it is very simple: the influence of wealth and population on international sports will be drastically reduced, this will allow other attributes such as cultural traits, organization, genetics, and skill per capita/wealth to be shown in the results of scores to a much more significant degree. these other attributes are currently greatly overshadowed by a country's wealth and population.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

TheRoonBa

#22 [url]

Jun 7 16 9:30 AM

Regarding your Ghana, Togo, Benin example - English is widely spoken in Ghana, but not in Togo or Benin. So, culture might not get a foothold between those 3 would-be buddies if they can't talk to each other. Maybe the Ghanaian would join the Americans.

Also, I am Scottish. At University (in England), the majority of people I got on best with were NOT English, despite the fact that at least half of the students were English. In fact, I got on much better with other Europeans/South Americans (French, Spanish, Mexican, Brazilian), and had many more friends who were not English than friends who were English. And I'm not anti-English - it's just what I gravitated towards.

The current international sports situation: wiping your ass with a leaf.
Your scenario: wiping your ass with toilet paper.

Leaves are more environmentally friendly.

We all understand what you are trying to say - but it wouldn't work because people don't want it. Liechtenstein like being the plucky no-hopers. They wouldn't want to combine with Switzerland and Austria in a Central European Schweistereichstein. Scotland like being plucky no-hopers. We wouldn't want to combine with anyone. Likewise with most other small nations. Caribbean nations manage as the West Indies in cricket, but there is much infighting and bickering (caused by perceived lack of attention to certain nations within the confederation).

As for the bigger nations, they like dominating and are not likely to give it up by cutting themselves into pieces.

Quote    Reply   

#23 [url]

Jun 7 16 9:57 PM

abramjones wrote:
nfm24 wrote:
abramjones wrote:
The current international sports situation: wiping your ass with a leaf. my scenario: wiping your ass with toilet paper.

I don't see much of an improvement. 

Maybe I will have to explain it to you a few thousand more times and you will see it

Whoosh... smiley: ohwell

Quote    Reply   

#24 [url]

Jun 8 16 11:56 PM

abramjones wrote:
Just to clear things up, the only reason why I don't have a plan or intention to change things is because I don't have the resources. I am one guy of below normal social status living in poverty (not extreme poverty though at least).
About presenting it to actual organizations: I have thought about this and eventually will.
You should increase your available population!   Most of the big sports federations are run by a very small number of men in suits, many of them from poor countries.  Many of them have little or no actual background in their actual sport.  So if they can do it, so can you.

You don't need to waste time discussing with sardonic commentators like us. You need to work your way up to become a suit.  Try to get into administration of some local league.  Then work your way up to USSF.  Then stand for a CONCACAF or FIFA committee.  Bingo, you can start influencing the people who matter, and actually make some of your changes happen without the need to consult those pesky fans.  Fans are stupid.  They will buy tickets, shirts and TV packages no matter what.

On a more serious note, you might try to follow the academic route.  Get into discussion with some of the scholars you mentioned and try to work as a grad student or research assistant or something like that.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

TheRoonBa

#25 [url]

Jun 9 16 9:28 AM

Personally, I wouldn't bother. That's probably the most sensible approach you can take. There is no chance within your lifetime or even the next 2 or 3 generations that the USA will divide itself up for the sake of "fairness in sport", or that neighbouring countries will join together for the same reason. International sport works with what it has - the current set of nations and territories. The unfairness/differences within and between those nations and territories in terms of population, wealth, social and cultural issues are not going to be solved through sport. Even if you evened things out a bit, sooner or later, one country would become rich and another poor through good/poor government, lack/mismanagement of resources, etc.

And contrary to what you said above, it IS natural.  Everything humans do is natural, as we are natural beings.

Also, while it is true that lions are naturally strong and antelopes less so, this is only due to evolution in their roles.  Lions weren't always big and strong.  Antelopes didn't always have to run from them.  There is no "fairness" aspect here - it is what it is.  One evolved to prey on grass, the other to prey on moving meat.  The differences in their abilities came about due to their differing needs and taking advantage of certain conditions.
As with countries, different needs and taking advantage of certain conditions over time created the array of differing countries we see today.  It's all natural.

Last Edited By: TheRoonBa Jun 9 16 9:32 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#27 [url]

Jun 17 16 9:28 PM

nfm24 wrote:
abramjones wrote:
Just to clear things up, the only reason why I don't have a plan or intention to change things is because I don't have the resources. I am one guy of below normal social status living in poverty (not extreme poverty though at least).
About presenting it to actual organizations: I have thought about this and eventually will.
You should increase your available population!   Most of the big sports federations are run by a very small number of men in suits, many of them from poor countries.  Many of them have little or no actual background in their actual sport.  So if they can do it, so can you.

You don't need to waste time discussing with sardonic commentators like us. You need to work your way up to become a suit.  Try to get into administration of some local league.  Then work your way up to USSF.  Then stand for a CONCACAF or FIFA committee.  Bingo, you can start influencing the people who matter, and actually make some of your changes happen without the need to consult those pesky fans.  Fans are stupid.  They will buy tickets, shirts and TV packages no matter what.

On a more serious note, you might try to follow the academic route.  Get into discussion with some of the scholars you mentioned and try to work as a grad student or research assistant or something like that.
Yes I know, but they generally come from aristocratic backgrounds (in the poor countries). I am not here trying to make a profession of this, I'm simply pointing out an obvious fact that no one else cares to mention very often. I want to publicize it to different sporting communities to raise awareness (such as this one), I don't have time to make it my life goal, and I would be very sad if my life goal involved sports. (: And yes I agree, fans are stupid, and so are voters.

Quote    Reply   

#28 [url]

Jun 17 16 9:30 PM

TheRoonBa wrote:
Personally, I wouldn't bother. That's probably the most sensible approach you can take. There is no chance within your lifetime or even the next 2 or 3 generations that the USA will divide itself up for the sake of "fairness in sport", or that neighbouring countries will join together for the same reason. International sport works with what it has - the current set of nations and territories. The unfairness/differences within and between those nations and territories in terms of population, wealth, social and cultural issues are not going to be solved through sport. Even if you evened things out a bit, sooner or later, one country would become rich and another poor through good/poor government, lack/mismanagement of resources, etc.

And contrary to what you said above, it IS natural.  Everything humans do is natural, as we are natural beings.

Also, while it is true that lions are naturally strong and antelopes less so, this is only due to evolution in their roles.  Lions weren't always big and strong.  Antelopes didn't always have to run from them.  There is no "fairness" aspect here - it is what it is.  One evolved to prey on grass, the other to prey on moving meat.  The differences in their abilities came about due to their differing needs and taking advantage of certain conditions.
As with countries, different needs and taking advantage of certain conditions over time created the array of differing countries we see today.  It's all natural.

Not sure if we are on the same page here, I am not talking about breaking up countries literally. I'm talking about the bigger countries sending regional teams (like the UK does with Scotland and Wales). And I'm talking about smaller countries playing together under one banner (like the West Indies cricket team), not literally merging governments.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help