Remove this ad

#101 [url]

Nov 24 16 10:02 PM

Great, another organization which doesn't understand its own rules.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#102 [url]

Jan 5 17 6:29 PM

the play off games with Trinidad, Suriname and Haïti are not really Caribbean Cup games, but only qualifiers for the Gold Cup.....so are the final Caribbean Cup games not part of the Gold Cup qualifiers....(I think)

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#103 [url]

Jan 7 17 2:34 AM

They are officially the "5th place play-off" (actually determining 5th, 6th and 7th place) of the CFU Caribbean Cup. Perhaps the Caribbean Cup finals will be used for seeding purposes for the CONCACAF Gold Cup? But yes, they are not "qualifiers" in the strictest sense, as all 4 teams have already qualified.

Meanwhile, Trinidad & Tobago used up their 3 subs in 90 minutes against Suriname, and then brought on a 4th sub in extra time. Not sure that is allowed in continental qualifiers/finals matches.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#104 [url]

Jan 7 17 1:28 PM

Regarding the 4th sub - if indeed it was allowed, one would have expected a 4th sub to be used at least once in one of the earlier matches in the competition that went to extra time, yet this did not happen.

Quote    Reply   

#106 [url]

Jun 26 17 12:56 AM

This has been promoted pretty poorly. The logos used by promoters are not the same, some say 2016, others 2016-17 and occasionally there's a 2017. Rolleyes

I think this may be the last Caribbean Cup for a while, CONCACAF seem keen to pursue the CONCACAF Nations League idea.

Quote    Reply   

#107 [url]

Jun 26 17 9:00 AM

Blue Lou wrote:
This has been promoted pretty poorly. The logos used by promoters are not the same, some say 2016, others 2016-17 and occasionally there's a 2017. Rolleyes

Also the Asian Football Confederation official documents often make confusion about the old editions of their tournaments. For example, in some links, they say 1990 Asian Cup Winners' Cup, while other official press kits say 1990-91 Asian Cup Winners' Cup. I've mentioned just a couple of cases, but there are many others.

Quote    Reply   

#108 [url]

Jun 26 17 5:14 PM

Curaçao wins their first title since the 1962 CAC Games. Hearing rumours this could be the last Caribbean Cup. Surely CFU will continue their disorganised tournament despite the future nations league?

www.soccer-db.info - football internationals

Quote    Reply   

#110 [url]

Jun 27 17 7:09 PM

Blue Lou wrote:
Bit of a splinter question, but what's everyone's opinion on naming tournaments with a different year to when they're actually played? Obviously in general it's not right, but there's some situations like the 1959 Copa America (I & II) where it would be easier for reference's sake to call the first one 1958 or the second one 1960 (see also: the many 2008 Wantok Cups). Or tournaments that overlap different years. Or in the case of postponed tournaments like this one?

Blue Lou wrote:
I think this may be the last Caribbean Cup for a while, CONCACAF seem keen to pursue the CONCACAF Nations League idea.
I'm not so sure, the whole aim of the Nations League is to give all the teams (especially in CA & the Caribbean) more competitive matches, take away their regional tournaments and they'll be back to square one in that respect, losing around the same amount of matchtime they gain.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#111 [url]

Jun 28 17 9:36 AM

mattsanger92 wrote:
Bit of a splinter question, but what's everyone's opinion on naming tournaments with a different year to when they're actually played? Obviously in general it's not right, but there's some situations like the 1959 Copa America (I & II) where it would be easier for reference's sake to call the first one 1958 or the second one 1960 (see also: the many 2008 Wantok Cups).
Good question. The most pertinent answer would be: we should follow what the organizers officially state in their documents, press kits, websites and so on. Also taking a look at the trophy may be helpful, as one can often read the year written on the plaque. But the problem is: the organizers are often the first in making confusion and in contradicting themselves...
mattsanger92 wrote:
Or tournaments that overlap different years?
Another very famous tournament overlapping two years was the 1980 Mundialito (also known as World Champions' Gold Cup or Copa de Oro), played between December 1980 and January 1981. In that circumsance, all the captions used to report 1980.

Quote    Reply   

#112 [url]

Jun 28 17 12:33 PM

It's just a result of some people rigidly insisting (for their own convenience) that tournaments should be listed under a single year. Their own lack of flexibility means they have only 1980 or 1981 to choose. In reality, it spanned two years and so anything other than 1980-81 is incorrect or misleading.

It doesn't make sense to write 1980, except perhaps if all the fixtures were planned to be in 1980 and only a rescheduling caused them to spill over into 1981, but even this is tenuous. It makes more sense to write 1981 than 1980, because the final was held in 1981, the cup was awarded in 1981, and everything before that was leading up to it. But it's still wrong.

Quote    Reply   

#113 [url]

Jun 28 17 8:00 PM

Technically it is wrong and it looks a little ridiculous with only one match being held in 1980, although that specific tournament had a very obvious reason for wanting that year to be in the name (though the best way to do this cleanly is to not start a 2 week tournament 2 days before said year is going to end).

In general though it should be given the year of the trophy being awarded, but it's those situations where more than one of the same tournament are held in the same calendar year (unintentional or otherwise) that I think should be allowed a 'technical' difference in the reference books (so the second Copa America of 1959 could be "1960*"?), although that's more to do with my petty gripe that a tournament shouldn't be any more than an annual event.

Quote    Reply   

#114 [url]

Jun 29 17 9:29 AM

The most correct solution is without doubt citing the years in which the tournament unfolds. Example: 1980/81 Mundialito, 2017/18 Gulf Cup of Nations, 2016/17 UEFA Champions League, 1992/93 AFC Cup Winners' Cup and so on, apart from what the organizers officially state.

As to the South American Championships from 1959, if they were played in 1959, the year must be kept in the nomination as 1959. Perhaps 1959 South American Championship (Argentina) and 1959 South American Championship (Ecuador) is a good solution, or 1959 South American Championship (I) and 1959 South American Championship (II).

Quote    Reply   

#115 [url]

Jun 29 17 4:39 PM

mattsanger92 wrote:
situations where more than one of the same tournament are held in the same calendar year ... should be allowed a 'technical' difference in the reference books (so the second Copa America of 1959 could be "1960*"?)
This would be creating errors rather than resolving them.  It would also add to the problem, e.g. if this had been done at the time, but then another Copa was held in 1960, what would that one be called?

Quote    Reply   

#116 [url]

Jun 30 17 10:30 AM

Would essentially require a bit of waiting to see what the net effect is, any tournament organised erratically enough to have more than one edition in the same year probably will have a gap somewhere nearby (or like the Wantok Cup, end up defunct). Appreciate that it makes things more confusing by doing that though, kind of defeats the purpose of the clarity needed.

The obvious way to differentiate is to have "1959/I" and "1959/II", I'm just not a fan of the idea that more than one team claiming to be "1959 Champions", where it can be avoided (which seems to be all of the examples so far of name clashes, where there are enough gaps either side to be 'flexible' on applying some asterixed years). Not a fan of the "2016/17" thing, too... clubbish for my liking.

Say someone wants to create a new annual tournament in 2017, and has already got an edition secure for 2018 and is promoting it as such. Realising they can get things moving a little sooner however, they try to create a 2017 edition to run beforehand, but it eventually turns out that the only available time to play it is early 2018. Is it then acceptable to call that first one a 2017 tournament because that's what it is in spirit?

Last Edited By: mattsanger92 Jun 30 17 10:38 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#119 [url]

Jul 2 17 12:02 AM

4 editions in one year... a club/national team mix in 3 of them... tobacco sponsorship... AAAAHHH, BURN IT*! smiley: mad

* = Don't actually burn it because passive smoking and all that, but something to that effect...

Quote    Reply   

#120 [url]

Jul 3 17 5:06 PM

There's no problem with tobacco sponsorship in football surely... Camel Cup, Rothmans Cup, Dunhill Cup, Peter Stuyvesant Cup...
I believe journalists were given complimentary packets of Camel during the 1986 World Cup.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help