Remove this ad

Lead

Feb 28 16 7:12 PM

Tags : :

At the recent FIFA election, Gianni Infantino said that he was supportive of a Caribbean League (and made a point of doing saying it during his 'vote for me' speech). He mentioned it again later on.

In 2020, which is four years from now, I don’t know if I will still be the president, I hope so, but I don’t know because in 2019 there will be a new election. But in 2020, I want to see big development of football all over the world, in all countries. I want to see some concrete actions done by FIFA and done by each and every national association when it comes to football development. I want to see the Caribbean league playing, I want to see grassroots, academies in Africa.

It'll be interesting to see if this comes to fruition. 

Last Edited By: Blue Lou Feb 28 16 7:20 PM. Edited 1 time

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Feb 28 16 7:44 PM

Jack Warner did have a couple of goes at doing this in the 80s and 90s. It's questionable whether (even if successful) this would constitute "development" anyway. Similarly academies in Africa, to me just means more opportunities to send money to end up in the pockets of dodgy officials.

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Jul 24 16 3:34 PM

Gordon "Banks" Derrick was re-elected as CFU president yesterday. His manifesto included a Caribbean Professional Football League according to Inside World Football.

He also pledged to give $50k per year to non-FIFA members and to ask FAs of former colonialists for help .

I've never seen an impressive.football related manifesto.

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Jul 24 16 9:51 PM

Such manifestos are normally:

Here are some obvious things we should have done years ago (and perhaps even put in a previous manfiesto) but we didn't do yet, so let's again propose to do them, even though we know that in reality we won't.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help