Remove this ad

#21 [url]

Sep 9 16 12:42 PM

It's taking place in Malaysia. It's a competition for those who've not done so well in the World Cup qualifying so by default N. Mariana Islands were not involved.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#22 [url]

Sep 9 16 4:02 PM

Blue Lou wrote:
It's taking place in Malaysia. It's a competition for those who've not done so well in the World Cup qualifying
It would thus be appropriate in many ways if Malaysia entered a team.

Hmm. A meaningless competition for teams with almost no pro players, staged in a notorious matchfixing hotspot.  WHAT COULD GO WRONG.

Quote    Reply   

#25 [url]

Oct 4 16 8:21 PM

I wonder if all teams might withdraw...

Salahuddin was probably Bangladesh's best ever player, and his career coincided with the independence of his country. Maybe he doesn't want to run the risk that the couuntry might become a laughing stock.

Quote    Reply   

#27 [url]

Oct 13 16 6:13 PM

nfm24 wrote:
Maybe he doesn't want to run the risk that the couuntry might become a laughing stock.
Too late, they got humbled by thunder dragons...

Surely the mere fact they 'qualified' for this tournament after those comments ensures plenty of humiliation anyway? Reminds me of the Celtic fan who argued his club were too big to be competing in the Champions League qualifiers shortly before they were beaten by Lincoln Red Imps...

Quote    Reply   

#28 [url]

Oct 13 16 9:17 PM

Quite right. Celtic should have been forced against their will to enter a tournament for all the shittest teams in Europe.  Oh wait they already play in it every week.

Quote    Reply   

#30 [url]

Oct 19 16 2:25 PM

what about Pakistan ?  They are very inactive the last years...

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

TheRoonBa

#35 [url]

Oct 21 16 7:22 PM

I guess that football never became popular. Nobody in India cares about football, for example, and I guess it is similar in Pakistan/Bangladesh. Cricket is number one. Also, most of the people are more worried about feeding themselves than playing sport.

Quote    Reply   

#37 [url]

Oct 21 16 11:43 PM

There are pockets of interest, certain communities. Calcutta the traditional football area, and to some extent Bengal as nearby, but other areas e.g. Goa and also Punjab had a strong team for a while. The priorities of the countries, such as feeding themselves (as Mark said) and fighting civil wars or developing nuclear weapons, in addition to a large country of disparate haphazard tournaments and poor management haven't always been conducive to well-organized football.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#38 [url]

Oct 25 16 9:09 PM

Also, many "modern" Indians are into watching European club football on TV, and know almost nothing about Indian domestic football. I know a few people who identify as Manchester United, Arsenal or Barcelona "fans", but then actually know nothing about how the team is doing in the league, and only watch the "big games" like Top 4 matches in the Premiership or European finals. It's basically a fad to seem cool. This is not specific to India, of course, but seems to be a worldwide phenomenon these days, to the detriment of the local football scene.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#40 [url]

Nov 15 16 3:27 PM

4th best of the worst teams in Asia is not to be sniffed at.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help