Remove this ad

TheRoonBa

Site Admin

Lead

Apr 15 16 10:48 PM

Tags : :

Apparently, the Czechs want to be known as "Czechia" rather than the "Czech Republic" in English.

The proposal is to be voted on in Parliament and if successful, would need approval by the UN.

Personally, I like the name (some people think it is ugly - why?)  It ends in the "-kia" sound (same as Slovakia).  And some people think it would be confused with Chechnya (probably by the same people who confuse Slovakia and Slovenia).

I think all countries should have a short form, without political/religious elements.  The long form should be reserved for official occasions.

United States of America - America (would not be popular choice for South/Central Americans)
United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland - Great Britain & Northern Ireland
Democratic Republic of Congo - Bring back Zaire
Central African Republic - Bring back Ubangi-Shari
Republic of Ireland - Ireland
Czech Republic - Czechia
United Arab Emirates - not sure - Emiratia would be based on political status (Emirate).  Coud be named after one of the emirates (Dubai, Abu Dhabi?)
Dominican Republic - Dominicana

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#3 [url]

Apr 16 16 10:11 AM

All countries which are too incompetent at finding good names for themselves should be dissolved into constituent parts.
In football, UK is already. USA will become 50 states. UAE will become 7 emirates. Czech Republic will become Bohemia and Moravia.

Seriously, if the Czechs want to rename themselves then why not take the opportunity to fix the stupid spelling of "Czech".

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Apr 16 16 6:03 PM

Yes I know, it was a semi-ironic point - the article Mark posted mentioned the UN etc, where the name Czechia would become international rather than just an English translation. Also the argument that changing from Czech Republic to Czechia will somehow make their country more marketable is highly doubtful, but even if it was true then they should go all the way...

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

TheRoonBa

#7 [url]

Apr 16 16 9:02 PM

Checkia would be better, as Neil mentioned. "Czech" is a Polish word borrowed into English (hence the "cz").  Also the last sound of Czech is usually spelled ck in English at the end of a word (Check).  "ch" is again borrowed directly from Polish, even though it represents a different sound.

All other European languages have changed the "Č" sound to their own orthography (if they have this sound), English is unique in not using the normal orthography (Ch).

French - Tch
German/Luxembourgish - Tsch
Spanish/Galician - Ch
Portuguese - Tch
Dutch/Frisian/Norwegian - Tsj
Romanian - C
Hungarian - Cs
Polish - Cz
Czech/Slovak/Croatian/Bosnian/Latvian/Lithuanian/Slovenian - Č
Basque/Catalan - Tx
Finnish/Estonian - Tš
Maltese - Ċ
Danish/Swedish - Tj
Albanian/Azerbaijani/Turkish - Ç

Last Edited By: TheRoonBa Apr 16 16 9:09 PM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Apr 24 16 8:45 AM

TheRoonBa wrote:
Checkia would be better, as Neil mentioned. "Czech" is a Polish word borrowed into English (hence the "cz").  Also the last sound of Czech is usually spelled ck in English at the end of a word (Check).  "ch" is again borrowed directly from Polish, even though it represents a different sound.

All other European languages have changed the "Č" sound to their own orthography (if they have this sound), English is unique in not using the normal orthography (Ch).

Albanian/Azerbaijani/Turkish - Ç

And I add that, if I remember correctly, in Albanian the // sound is also given by the /q/ consonant. Shaqiri = /ʃaˈciɾi/; Shqipëri = /ʃcipəˈɾi/

Sensini wrote:
TheRoonBa wrote:
[...]
Dominican Republic - Dominicana
I'd prefer "Santo Domingo", as used in Pampiaments (on Curaçao and Aruba).

In Italy as well. Everybody calls it "Santo Domingo". Dominican Republic is never used.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#10 [url]

Apr 24 16 2:44 PM

Luca wrote:

And I add that, if I remember correctly, in Albanian the // sound is also given by the /q/ consonant. Shaqiri = /ʃaˈciɾi/; Shqipëri = /ʃcipəˈɾi/

Not exactly :-)  Although, apparently, most Northern Albanian speakers pronounce q this way.

Q is more like "tj" in Dutch (again, which is not exactly the same as "tʃ").  It is a "stop" consonant, whereas "tʃ" is an affricate (basically, a stop consonant followed by a fricative consonant, but said rapidly to appear like one sound).  Also, similar is Italian "chi" (the first sound is not the same as, for example, "carta").  This is due to the "i" sound changing the "k" sound.  This "ch" (before i) sound in Italian would be very close to "q" in Albanian.  The best description I can offer is that it is like a "k" pronounced further forward in the mouth.

Last Edited By: TheRoonBa Apr 24 16 2:53 PM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help