Remove this ad

TheRoonBa

Site Admin

Lead

May 19 16 10:28 PM

Tags : :

Just a few examples from men v women at national team level (women's national team v men's national youth team).

18/12/2010 Latvia U-18 Men 29-0 Latvia Women (Latvia Women are one of the worst teams in UEFA)
23.04.2012 USA U-17 Men 8-2 USA Women (USA Women are essentially the best women's football team on Earth).
24.04.2014 Nigeria U-15 Men 1-0 Nigeria Women (Nigeria are generally regarded as the best women's football team in Africa).

Apparently, USA Women regularly played against men's youth and college teams in the past, as it was their only chance to play against teams better than themselves.

Also, in 2014, an amateur team from HMNB (Her Majesty's Naval Base) Portsmouth played Brazilian women's premier division side, Vasco da Gama in a 5-a-side challenge match.  HMNB won 7-1.

Last Edited By: TheRoonBa May 19 16 10:37 PM. Edited 1 time

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

May 20 16 8:42 AM

I read about a few warmup matches somewhere like Thailand in the 1970s where the women's team played a men's team which was only allowed to use the left foot.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#2 [url]

May 20 16 9:06 PM

In tennis, when the Williams sisters were 16 and 17, they said they could beat any men's tennis player outside the Top 200. A German guy ranked 203 then challenged them both to 1 set matches and beat them 6-1 and 6-2. Apparently, he had gone drinking the night before and said that he just played like a 500th ranked player so he didn't embarrass them too much.

I don't believe in this equality in prize money that tennis players now get - they only play best of 3 sets instead of best of 5, and the strength in depth is not as high in the women's game (as well as the level of play). In football as well - I don't think the women should be paid as much as the men. It could be argued then that the under-17 boys who beat the women should be paid as much or more than the women.

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

May 20 16 9:59 PM

Sounds like Bobby Riggs vs Billie Jean King (and also Margaret Court but for some reason that match isn't so well remembered). Steffi Graf also played against a leading male player in a similar match (I think Yannick Noah but maybe not).

On the prize money issue, it comes from the fact that the major events coincide in a way that is much less common in other sports. Whereas golf (for example) has separate men and women's tours, in tennis the tours come together for the majors and the proceeds from e.g. TV sales and advertising are harder to divide up, so there was much more pressure there to be seen to make things "equal" there.

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

May 22 16 8:47 AM

Not officially, but in March 1993 Italy (women) faced the (men) Singers National team and won 4-3.

Last year, in the Swimming World Championship, there was a discipline called mixed relay, where women and men competed together.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#7 [url]

May 22 16 10:04 PM

In netball, women's teams are capable of beating men's teams, as it's a non-contact sport and men's netball is generally not funded, as is not seen as a "macho" sport and has not really caught on among the male population. From the few men's netball teams where I've seen and heard the players, there is a disproportionately large number of homosexual (or at least extremely effeminate) players - which again may give the sport certain 'non-macho' connotations for some people.

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

May 23 16 1:42 PM

Imagine a hypothetical match between a women top-team (suppose USA, Germany, Sweden or Japan) and a men minnow (suppose Andorra, San Marino or Gibraltar). How many chances are there to have a female win? I bet there are many possibilities.

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

May 23 16 6:32 PM

Surely Silvio Berlusconi can arrange it for TV.

In addition to the various tennis matches mentioned, there were several others, normally unbalanced in some way e.g. either the rules were altered or the male player was much older. I remember seeing a newspaper picture from Ilie Nastase vs an Hungarian female player whose name escapes me, in the early 1990s - in this case Nastase actually dressed as a woman, and won.

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

May 23 16 7:02 PM

nfm24 wrote:
 I remember seeing a newspaper picture from Ilie Nastase vs an Hungarian female player whose name escapes me, in the early 1990s - in this case Nastase actually dressed as a woman, and won.

Ilie Năstase versus Andrea Temesvári, 1992.

Picture

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

TheRoonBa

#11 [url]

May 23 16 10:05 PM

Luca wrote:
Imagine a hypothetical match between a women top-team (suppose USA, Germany, Sweden or Japan) and a men minnow (suppose Andorra, San Marino or Gibraltar). How many chances are there to have a female win? I bet there are many possibilities.

Gibraltar men would easily beat USA women.  If USA U-17 men can beat USA Women 8-2, Gibraltar men would surely win.  USA's full men's national team could possibly beat Gibraltar 8-2, but I think the U-17 men's team might not manage to beat Gibraltar (if they did, it wouldn't be 8-2).

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

May 23 16 11:40 PM

Yes I imagine it would be hard for any women's team to beat a European national team - and possibly only USA or Germany could come close, because of their combination of speed and physicality (in addition to professionalism) being superior to the other women's teams. It would be more interesting to see something like USA women vs Bangladesh men.

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

May 24 16 5:47 PM

It's not an international, but it's a shame (now for more reasons than one) that this planned game has been cancelled.

Would've probably been a rare situation in which the ladies go in as favourites, the "West Ham All-Stars" team sounds vague but was rumoured to just be a squad of celebrity fans, so I guess West Ham Ladies would have been up against Ray Winstone, Danny Dyer, James Corden, and an assortment of YouTubers?

I'm one of the first to get behind sentimentality, but I'm not sure what the point of cancelling it was when they're surely hiring the pitch out privately while the stadium still exists (doubt Gollivan and Brady would let an asset just rot while they still have the keys). And even after all that the 'last goal' there will almost certainly be a tap-in by some demolition worker, if the above friendly went ahead everyone would still credit the 'last proper goal' at the ground to Winston Reid...

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

May 25 16 7:53 PM

I suppose another way of looking at this issue is to ask, if countries picked combined national teams with both men and women eligible, which countries (if any) would include any female players in their first XI ?

Quote    Reply   

#19 [url]

May 26 16 12:27 AM

There was one female player in the Northern Mariana Islands team for the 1998 Micronesia Games. Admittedly this was not full scale football. But even so, I cannot recall another case.

Quote    Reply   

#20 [url]

May 26 16 11:02 AM

FIFA wouldn't allow Maribel Domínguez to join the Mexican Second Division men's team Celaya back in 2004, so they seem keen on separating the waters there anyway.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help