Remove this ad

Lead

May 21 16 10:56 PM

Tags : :

[excerpt from Tanganyika Standard, 8 Nov 1952]

Kenya victorious in Indian Ocean Games.
The 33-man Kenya athletics team swept the board, winning eleven events and coming second in three others at the Indian Ocean Games held at Tananarive, Madagascar, on Saturday.  Kenya's team of Europeans, Asians and Africans gained 69 points out of a possible 85 in competition with Madagascar, Mauritius and Mozambique teams.
 [BLAH BLAH]
The organisation of the games was haphazard.  Kenya's entrant in the 3,000 metres, Nyandika was not called to the start and heard the gun go while standing by in track suit and gym shoes. Peeling off his clothes as he ran, the African lost 100 yards at the start but scorched round the track to beat everybody by fifty yards.
The Kenya team now look forward to competing in the British Empire games in Canada in 1954 and perhaps the Olympic Games in Melbourne in 1956.

For more about Nyandika : http://www.nation.co.ke/Features/Pioneer-champion-who-ran-barefoot-/-/960656/1009338/-/t6i6hu/-/index.html

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

May 22 16 8:55 AM

As a cycling fan, I remember a couple of cases involving athletes who won important races having a flat tire in the final kilometres. Abraham Olano at the 1995 World Championship and Hennie Kuiper at the 1983 Paris-Roubaix.

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

May 23 16 2:00 PM

If "handicap" means "invasive fans" then I remember two more epic cases...

Beppe "Turbo" Guerini, an Italian cyclist, is remembered for an incident during the 1999 Tour de France when a cycling fan knocked him off his bicycle during the race. Guerini was leading the field only a few hundred meters from the finish of the difficult Alpe d'Huez stage but was able to remount his bicycle and finish 21 seconds ahead of Pavel Tonkov.
Minute 1:13 of the video below

Vanderlei Cordeiro de Lima, on 29 August 2004, at the 2004 Summer Olympics in Athens, was attempting to become the first Brazilian to win an Olympic gold medal in the marathon. Soon after the 35 km (22 mi) mark, holding a lead of approximately 25–30 seconds, de Lima was halted and grappled by a spectator named Cornelius Horan, a defrocked Irish priest. By the way, he was able to win the Silver medal.

Unbelievable!!!

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

May 24 16 9:31 PM

The more I see cycling on TV, the more I think how unsafe it is compared to most other popular sports.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#6 [url]

May 25 16 10:22 PM

Luca wrote:
As a cycling fan, I remember a couple of cases involving athletes who won important races having a flat tire in the final kilometres. Abraham Olano at the 1995 World Championship and Hennie Kuiper at the 1983 Paris-Roubaix.
Actually in Paris-Roubaix everyone get a flat tyre somewhere in the race. The Henny Kuiper victory is so heroic because he got the flat tyre only 6 kilometers before the finis and he was not so much ahead. BTW Paris-Roubaix is my favourite race.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help