Remove this ad

Lead

May 29 16 2:21 PM

Tags : :

Going back to the Northern Ireland vs Belarus match on Friday, I was just typing up the notes I made from watching the game on TV, and I found that I seem to be the only source that includes the 5th Belarus sub.  Nekhaichik replaced Stasevich at 88'.

None of the live score sites show it.  None of the match catalogues show it  (eu-football, national-football-teams etc).  Even the Belarus FA and kick-off.by failed to register it). The only place I can see it (apart from my own notes) is the BBC website.

In general it is quite common that a substitution or yellow card in the aftermath of a goal is missed by the TV cameras (which are showing replays of the goal) and often the commentators.  Thus many "live score" websites miss out the subs, or catch up with them only several minutes later when the TV director notices the new player.
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#4 [url]

May 29 16 10:28 PM

Yes the referee should have a little tablet instead of writing the names on the back of his yellow card.

It's just the flaw of us nerds trying to document the match based on TV coverage alone. Previously at least you could rely on the journalists physically present in the stadium to give an independent (if not necessarily accurate) set of data. But now it seems even the guys who are detailed to cover the match are just working off the TV or online coverage.

An even more common problem is the formations used by the team. So many match reports simply take the formation preview from the TV picture, obviously before the game has started. If you're going to do that then there is no point giving the formation at all. The formation should be based only on actually watching the opening minutes of the game.

Likewise, websites that give players' heat maps and then infer a formation from that. Firstly, the heat map is normally based on ball touches, not positions occupied. Secondly, this does not account for changes of formation during the match, or individual swaps e.g. wingers switching sides.

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

May 30 16 9:59 PM

It's quite common actually. FIFA qualifiers live scoring is notorious for missing one or few substitutions and they seem to be very slow nowdays on updating the official match reports. Online media nowdays is even worse and very often they just don't give a damn when publishing their halfdone match reports!

www.soccer-db.info - football internationals

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Jun 1 16 8:07 AM

How about this one? Tonight at 18:30 a friendly Latvia vs Lithuania and at the very same time a Baltic Cup match between the same countries.

Last Sunday the friendly match Lithuania vs Estonia ended just as the Baltic Cup match Lithuania vs Estonia 2-0 as you can read here. Take a look at the goalscorer and the minutes they have scored....

Last Edited By: Fast Midfielder Jun 1 16 8:14 AM. Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#11 [url]

Jun 2 16 8:48 AM

The 2016 OFC Nations Cup matches are also valid for the 2018 World Cup qualifying round.
It would be interesting if some live score site treated them as two separate events.....

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Jun 4 16 9:58 AM

nfm24 wrote:
Likewise, websites that give players' heat maps and then infer a formation from that. Firstly, the heat map is normally based on ball touches, not positions occupied. Secondly, this does not account for changes of formation during the match, or individual swaps e.g. wingers switching sides.

Thirdly, the conclusion you reach is that the team is playing in a 1-0-10-0 formation.

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Jun 4 16 10:43 AM

Average position looks like 0-10-0, but if the average position of defenders is in it's own penalty box, this means they are contineously under pressure. Even if you play against San Marino the forwarders won't be contineously in the opponent's penalty box. Here I read England de facto played something as 3-4-3 or 4-3-3.

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Jun 5 16 9:42 PM

Well that again shows both the flaws I mentioned. #20 Dele Alli was initially on the left of the midfield but later became central once subs were made. Generally formations are assumed to be symmetric (left to right) but sometimes teams overload one side with an old-fashioned winger/

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Jun 10 17 9:36 PM

In today's Scotland vs England hoof-fest, most sites are giving the sub time for Defoe replacing Livermore as 90+4' or 90+5'. In reality it was at 90+2'. You can clearly see Defoe running into the box as Dier takes the freekick which led to England's equaliser. Indeed Defoe is one of the first to congratulate Kane... odd then that sites claim he didn't even enter the field by then.

Quote    Reply   

#18 [url]

Jun 11 17 9:46 AM

More or less this reminds me of a recent anecdote happened to me. I was comparing some sources about the 1990/91 European Cup, because all the UEFA sources declare that a Red Star Belgrade player was substituted during a game against Rangers. After consulting a lot of British and Yugoslavian newspapers from the following day, and the video of the match, I could draw the appropriate conclusion that the substitution never occurred. To be more sure, I even contacted the Red Star's player who would have entered as a substitute, asking him whether he actually appeared against Rangers. He replied he did not recall the match...

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help