Tags : :

On the 50th anniversary, let's commemorate the true hero of 1966:

Pickels-652260.jpg

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Jul 31 16 5:21 PM

Don't think he ever actually got that knighthood... but looking at some of the archive pictures, on the evening of England's win he was invited to the celebratory banquet... that is the separate one in the same building put on for the player's wives:

The players’ wives were not invited to the official banquet and along with Pickles, the Jules Rimet trophy-finding dog, they were whisked off to their own celebratory dinner in another restaurant at the same hotel

Was watching ITV's 50 Years documentary yesterday and Pickles' owner said the reward money was enough to buy him a house which he still lives in today.

As for the real trophy, it lasted another 17 years before disappearing into the Brazillian gangster wilderness, is it too soon to make a joke about Bernie Ecclestone's mother-in-lawsmiley: indifferentI do feel sorry for her (for a number of reasons), but the fact that Bernie was present and very much working at the German Grand Prix this weekend suggests he's not taking it too seriously himself...

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Jul 31 16 5:51 PM

Interesting to know that in 1966 the FA did not distinguish between WAGs and dogs. Mind you this was an organization that had banned women's football from FA grounds.

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Aug 1 16 12:40 AM

But then the Crufts trophy would get stolen and lost under a hedge, which Nobby Stiles would accidentally stumble upon while chasing a frisbee. Or something.

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Aug 1 16 8:28 AM

In all this back slapping 50 years stuff, I liked the bit about Bobby Moore wiping the mud off his hands on a velvet drape because he didn't want to get mud on the Queen's white gloves. Pundits and professional reminiscers were praising Moore's obsession with looking elegant and immaculate.

However, the same commentators were not so complimentary about C.Ronaldo preening himself before receiving the 2016 trophy.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#8 [url]

Aug 1 16 12:25 PM

I am sure the Queen has more than one pair of gloves. I think the Queen should have been forced to wear Gordon Banks' match-worn goalkeeper gloves, and Bobby Moore should have been forced to shake her hand while wearing a falconry glove on each hand, and also a knight's helmet.

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Aug 1 16 2:39 PM

sorry I was unrespectfull; the Queen is not just "a queen":)

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#10 [url]

Aug 1 16 7:46 PM

TheRoonBa wrote:
I am sure the Queen has more than one pair of gloves.

Post-war austerity.  As a result of Britain's heroic war effort of running away and calling the Yanks, all the surplus royal gloves were stitched together to make parachutes for Spitfire pilots.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#11 [url]

Aug 1 16 11:11 PM

pieter wrote:
sorry I was unrespectfull; the Queen is not just "a queen":)
I am sure everyone will forgive your lapse of concentration (except the Queen, who will probably imprison you in a dark dungeon and feed you bread and water). smiley: ohwell

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Aug 27 16 9:04 AM

With all the due respect for Pickles, the Queen and Bobby Moore, but the true hero for England in that World Cup was the Soviet linesman Tofiq Bahramov, the man who validated the (non) goal to Geoff Hurst....

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Aug 27 16 10:50 PM

Maybe it was also the referee who sent off Rattin - Argentina was probably England's hardest opponent to that point.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help