Remove this ad

Lead

Sep 4 16 2:51 PM

Tags : :

From the late 1950’s to late 1960’s there were four FIFA registered referees with the surname of Hansen:

Carl W Hansen – 1963 to 1969
Frede Hansen – 1960 to 1971
Jarl Hansen – 1958 to 1962
Valdemar Hansen – 1957 – 1965 The dates I have listed are approximate as sources differ slightly.

In total there were 21 European Cups matches refereed by a ‘Hansen’ around this period.
I think I have established which Hansen it was for each except for the following four matches:

1963-64 Inter-Cities Fairs Cup (16/10/1963) – Hertha BSC, Berlin v AS Roma.
In my records I have a Danish source of unknown origin which has Carl Hansen. Romeo Ionescu has Frede Hansen.
I have tried newspaper archives for La Republica, L’Unita and La Stampa but they don’t give the forename. I have not been able to trace any contemporary German sources.

1961-62 European Champion Clubs’ Cup (24/10/1961) – R Standard Club Liègois v FC Haka, Valkeakoski.
IFFHS have Valdemar Hansen. UEFA and EuropaPokal Almanac just list the surname Hansen. Romeo Ionescu has Valdemar Hansen.
I have been unable to trace any Finnish or Belgian (free) archive newspapers online or other contemporary sources.

1961-62 European Champion Clubs’ Cup (02/11/1961) – FC Haka, Valkeakoski v R Standard Club Liègois.
IFFHS have Jarl Hansen. UEFA and EuropaPokal Almanac just list the surname Hansen. Romeo Ionescu has Valdemar Hansen.
I have been unable to trace any Finnish or Belgian (free) archive newspapers online or other contemporary sources.

1964-65 European Cup Winners’ Cup (15/09/1964) – Skeid F, Oslo v FC Haka, Valkeakoski
In my records I have a Danish source of unknown origin which has Carl Hansen. Romeo Ionescu also has Carl Hansen. UEFA list the referee as P.Hansen. I am unaware of a Hansen referee with the initial P.
I have been unable to trace any Finnish or Norwegian (free) archive newspapers online or other contemporary sources.

I have emailed the DBU (Danish FA) on a couple of occasions with no success.

I know there are a number of websites dedicated to the history of the European Cups e.g. Worldfootball.net, Voetbal.com etc but I don’t believe they use any sources other than those already stated in my individual comments e.g. IFFHS, Romeo Ionescu, EuropaPokal Almanac.

Does anybody have any additional (contemporary) sources that might confirm which Hansen refereed the matches in question?
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Sep 4 16 10:32 PM

I'd suggest "World Soccer" but in this era it did not often give lineups for Euro club cups (at least not the earlier rounds).

Probably you have thought of this, but I'd also suggest trying Danish newspapers as sometimes a little note would be mentioned about overseas appointments of local refs.

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Sep 5 16 9:12 AM

Annuario del Calcio Mondiale 1995/96, page 717, reports a generic "Hansen" for the double challenge between Haka and Standard. But I think the data of Annuario coincide with the ones of IFFHS, as one of the authors was the Italian member of IFFHS.

As soon as I have 5 minutes I'll investigate more about Hertha-Roma.

I don't have info for the Cup Winners' Cup game Skeid-Haka. Have you tried to check this Icelandic archive?

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Sep 5 16 9:10 PM

You may have to make the quantum leap from hunting in online archives to going offline... the British Library (for example) has newspapers from all the countries involved.

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Sep 12 16 9:53 AM

I've consulted the Corriere dello Sport digital archive, but unfortunately the 1963 year is missing. Being a Roman sports newspaper, I'm sure the full name of the Hertha-Roma referee would have been available there.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#5 [url]

Sep 18 16 10:27 AM

I have just received a reply from the DBU and they have confirmed the referees, as follows:

Hertha BSC, Berlin v AS Roma = CARL HANSEN
R Standard Club Liègois v FC Haka, Valkeakoski = VALDEMAR HANSEN
FC Haka, Valkeakoski v R Standard Club Liègois = JARL HANSEN
Skeid F, Oslo v FC Haka, Valkeakoski = CARL HANSEN

Thanks nfm24 and Luca for your comments.

I have an almost complete set of World Soccer magazine. In depth coverage of the Inter-Cities Fairs Cup wasn’t something they published back in the 1960s. For a few seasons circa 1966 – 1969 they did produce stats for the European Cup and European Cup Winners Cup including referee surnames but this ceased during the early/mid 1970s until around 1977 when they once again started producing more detailed stats.

For many years I regularly visited the British Newspaper Library at Colindale but now that it has moved to Boston Spa it is too far away to attend. Most of the titles I used/use are not available on-line (yet).
They only held small collections of European newspaper titles, although some I used e.g. Diario de Lisboa, ABC, La Vanguardia, Neues Deutschland are (thankfully) available on-line.

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Sep 18 16 9:49 PM

Ted Best wrote:
For many years I regularly visited the British Newspaper Library at Colindale but now that it has moved to Boston Spa it is too far away to attend. Most of the titles I used/use are not available on-line (yet).
They only held small collections of European newspaper titles, although some I used e.g. Diario de Lisboa, ABC, La Vanguardia, Neues Deutschland are (thankfully) available on-line.

Just to note that the Newspaper Library itself did not move but rather closed. The newspapers mostly moved to Boston Spa except the microfilms which are at the main BL site at St Pancras.  A few months after closing Colindale, they opened the "Newsroom" at St Pancras where you can access all the newspapers, although the big bound volumes need 48 hrs notice.

There is also a smaller (but much better) reading room at Boston Spa where you can access most of the newspapers, except a lot of the Indian/South Asian ones which are part of the separate India Office collection and can only be seen in London.

To add to the titles you mention I think the BL also has microfilm of "FuWo".

Perhaps we should start our own national football library.  If we could get access to 2% of the annual FIFA grant given to the Bahamas, we could buy in a good collection.

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Sep 22 16 6:51 PM

Another interesting archive is the one from the Italian newspaper Corriere dello Sport. It's an excellent source, but it's also very difficult to consult, because it is unprovided of a search engine and because you have always to modify the “url” when you have to change the day you want to consult. When I want to consult it, first of all I check all the Wikipedia articles where Corriere dello Sport is used as source. For example: if you need a Corriere dello Sport from 1960, you have to do the following step:

http://www.google.it/#hl=it&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&q=site:it.wikipedia.org+%22corriere+dello+sport%22+1960&oq=site:it.wikipedia.org+%22corriere+dello+sport%22+1960&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_l=hp.3...1210.12072.1.12343.49.49.0.0.0.0.158.4504.45j4.49.0...0.0.ykKFH5ve02g&psj=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=8ed458b2d6fabdbd&biw=1024&bih=625

Now you have to click the Wikipedia article where Corriere dello Sport 1960 is used as source. For example: this is the newspaper from 15-04-1960:

http://dlib.coninet.it/bookreader.php?&c=1&f=6392&p=1#page/1/mode/2up

If you want to consult the following day, you have to modify the “url”. So this is the newspaper from 16-04-1960:

http://dlib.coninet.it/bookreader.php?&c=1&f=6393&p=1#page/1/mode/2up

and from 14-04-1960:

http://dlib.coninet.it/bookreader.php?&c=1&f=6391&p=1#page/1/mode/2up

and so on...

Unfortunatelely, as I told you, several years are missing. This is the list of the available ones:

http://dlib.coninet.it/?q=node/1&id=64&col=1

By the way, if you need other suggestions, please let me know - I know it's not a simple operation...

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help