Remove this ad

Lead

Sep 5 16 8:23 PM

Tags : :

Following on from the highly successful prediction game run on here for Euro 2016, let's try one that's a bit more 'time capsule', enter your predictions for the below categories and (if remembered), we'll dig it up at the end of the season to see who's the champion of the Champions League (or luckiest guesser, we know how unpredictable this sport can be, and a surprise is needed in this competition now more than ever...), I'll get the ball rolling:

• Champions: Borussia Dortmund
  • Runners-up: Leicester City (the bittersweet ending to the movie)
  • Surprise package: Borussia Monchengladbach
  • Disappointment: Manchester City
  • Top scorer (from this point, for some reason UEFA won't count the 5 goals Leigh Griffiths already has): Jamie Vardy (Leicester City)
  • Best atmosphere: Legia Warsaw v Real Madrid
  • Most potatoes picked: Dinamo Zagreb

And the questions that don't need answering because they're 99% certain to happen anyway:
  • Most likely to progress through the group stages only to be eliminated in the next stage (a.k.a. The Round of Arsenal award)
  • Most likely to be narrowly eliminated from the group stage only to make the best of the situation they then find themselves in (a.k.a. The f*****g four-peat)
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Sep 5 16 9:42 PM

Would rather play this with World Cup quals but needs must.

Champions: Barcelona
Runners-up: Man City (after initially winning the final but then UEFA overturn the result as the fans booed the trophy presentation)
Surprise package: Rostov (the Russian Leicester)
Disappointment: Celtic (while it is likely they will lose 6 times, I predict they will do so in an even more disappointing manner than expected)
Top scorer: Lewandowski (a chance to redeem himself after letting down by Euro predictions)
Best atmosphere: Celtic v Barcelona
Most potatoes picked: Brendan Rodgers

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Sep 5 16 10:50 PM

Champions: Whichever team has most Icelanders (turns out it's Basel)
Runners-up: Barcelona (they're probably contractually obliged to appear in the final anyway)
Surprise package: Celtic (the fact that they've qualified is a surprise already)
Disappointment: Leicester (the English Rostov)
Top scorer: Thomas Müller. At some point the answer to this question will have to be Thomas Müller
Best atmosphere: Liverpool Galatasaray Napoli Crvena Zvezda Dortmund v Real Madrid
Most potatoes picked: Piqué (hopefully along the way he'll also pick the own goal he needs to top the all-time CL own goal table)

Last Edited By: Kaizeler Sep 6 16 2:34 AM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Sep 6 16 5:00 PM

nfm24 wrote:
Most potatoes picked: Brendan Rodgers
Really? Maybe I misinterpreted the meaning of picking potatoes but Brendan Rodgers is an obsessive fanboy of posession football, there probably won't be many aimless hoofs under his watch. More likely than not he'll try to play Barcelona and City at their own game, only instead of Iniesta he has Scott Brown...

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Sep 6 16 10:02 PM

Yes, Scott Brown is still the last player I've seen properly contest a drop ball by the referee, something which seems to have died out decades ago.

It's hard not to play possession football domestically when you're Celtic, but if Rodgers can successfully play possession football in this group, I'll award him the Golden Potato Masher of Restored Integrity.

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Sep 10 16 9:15 AM

• Champions: Barcelona
  • Runners-up: Bayern Munich
  • Surprise package: Leicester City
  • Disappointment: Atlético de Madrid and Paris Saint-Germain
  • Top scorer Neymar (Barcelona)
  • Best atmosphere: The German derby between Borussia Dortmund and Bayern Munich in the quarter finals
  • Most potatoes picked: F.C. Copenhagen

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Mar 9 17 9:35 PM

It looks as though all 'winners' predictions were kept alive last night, Barcelona of all teams doing so with a late potato goal...

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#8 [url]

Mar 10 17 9:59 AM

Everybody is blaming PSG for the awful performance in the second leg. Ok. But it seems that nobody remembers their great showing in the first leg. After all the global outcome is just 6-5 for Barça.

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Mar 16 17 8:19 PM

After the remainder of the Ro16 games were decided this week, looks like my prediction for the final is somehow still intact.

And as someone who wants to see AS Monaco fail dismally for as long as they continue this ridiculous freeze-out of Monaco's national team... 'kinell, Manchester City, you had one job... smiley: eyes

Quote    Reply   

#11 [url]

Mar 17 17 1:24 AM

It's all part of Guardiola's master plan to deliberately underperform in results, allowing him more scope to ship out the players he doesn't want (i.e. most of them) and replace them with an entirely new team of superfast Tikitaka cyborgs he has been developing by genetically splicing Xavi with a pinball table (much like in "The Fly" but imagine a short Catalan midfielder instead of Jeff Goldblum, and a pinball machine instead of a fly - obviously The Who would pickup the soundtrack rights).

Similarly, Guardiola tried to create a super goalkeeper by splicing Claudio Bravo with an octopus, but it seems that a third organism (possibly a small piece of Joe Hart's DNA) got into the pod just before the fusion, thereby yielding only a second rate keeper who can pass reasonably well.

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

Dammit.

Double dammit.

Although the results this week do mean that I now genuinely don't care who wins either European competition as long as it's not one specific team (AS Monaco and Manchester United, in case it needed to be spelt out).

Aside from my bias, any of the potential Champions League winners would be a good story, AS Monaco being the (comparative) underdog story I could get behind if it wasn't for that one thing I know about them, Juventus have Buffon who's never won it, Real Madrid have the 'Bale in Cardiff' and 'first-ever defended title' angles, and Atletico to finally get that trophy. Also, barring any friendlies or construction delays on their new stadium, the second-last game they'll ever play at the Calderon is a semi-final second leg against Real...

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

nfm24 wrote:
This competition should be abolished.
You mean the Champions League in general, or just this thread? smiley: grin

Looking back at the predictions it looks like no-one has a chance of getting the winner or runner-up correct...

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help