Remove this ad

Lead

Jan 11 17 11:35 PM

Tags : :

The Caribbean Football Union, who represent 31 of CONCACAF's 41 national associations, are considering breaking away and forming a seventh FIFA confederation.

They see this as a way of improving their TV revenues, which have been squeezed by three successive CONCACAF presidents from Caribbean countries facing numerous corruption charges that include allegedly helping themselves to the region's TV rights money.

There's no real losers if they do. The Caribbean nations get their World Cup places and the Caribbean Cup on the FIFA Calendar. UNCAF and NAFU nations won't need to play minnows in competitive games anymore (excl. Belize).
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

TheRoonBa

#1 [url]

Jan 11 17 11:49 PM

Belize is not really a minnow any more. They are better than at least half of the CFU teams and are at a similar level to Nicaragua. At the last UNCAF Cup, they didn't concede more than 2 goals in any game.

This break would mean 10 members in "CONCAF" and a much shorter qualifying process for World Cups, but the teams might become too familiar with each other (like in South America) through having to play the same small set of teams all the time.

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Jan 12 17 12:09 AM

They seem to overlook the fact that much of the corruption was by CFU officials themselves.

Surely the remaining CONCAF would suffer from a reduced number of World Cup places...

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Jan 13 17 6:58 PM

A minor point but it would also not only contradict the CONCACAF Gold Cup expansion (which would have to rely on guest teams to make it to 16), if they decided to cut all ties and go solo then the FIFA Confederations Cup may also have to go onto 3-team groups smiley: laugh...

Seriously though, I don't think they should do it, 6 is a nice round number.

Quote    Reply   

TheRoonBa

#4 [url]

Jan 14 17 12:00 AM

mattsanger92 wrote:
A minor point but it would also not only contradict the CONCACAF Gold Cup expansion (which would have to rely on guest teams to make it to 16), if they decided to cut all ties and go solo then the FIFA Confederations Cup may also have to go onto 3-team groups smiley: laugh...

Seriously though, I don't think they should do it, 6 is a nice round number.

Asia could split into East and West to make it 8, or an Afro-Asian "Arab Confederation" might spring up.

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Jan 14 17 6:27 PM

This is clearly the answer : if you're not good enough to qualify in your current region, keep subdividing it until you are the biggest fish in your ever diminishing pool...

Yours,

Sepp McHavelange
Secretary general,
North Atlantic Confederation (membership Iceland, Faroe Islands and Scotland).

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Jan 14 17 10:49 PM

nfm24 wrote:
North Atlantic Confederation (membership Iceland, Faroe Islands and Scotland).
smiley: grinsmiley: grinsmiley: grinsmiley: grinsmiley: grinNope, not doing it, the joke is too easy here.

Like the old Corinthian-Casuals, I'll kick this penalty wide.

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Jan 15 17 6:04 PM

Assuming your joke was the same as mine, I was going to say that provided there was a playoff for the 3rd placed team of NAC vs OFC, we might have a chance. Somehow I'd still expect us to go 4-5-1.

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Jan 15 17 7:16 PM

I propose a secession by NAFU too: Greenland, Canada, Saint Pierre and Miquelon, USA, Bermuda, Bahamas, Turks and Caicos and Mexico can constitute an autonomous confederation...smiley: roll

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#10 [url]

Jan 23 17 6:00 PM

CFU president Gordon Derrick raised the proposal of a CFU breakaway from its north and central American neighbours following growing rumours in the region that the Caribbean nations were tired of being dictated to by a confederation that has restricted funding to almost zero, removed the CFU from any meaningful involvement in confederation decision making, and repeatedly attempted to meddle in elections.

“What I am looking for is to get a feeling from the members,” said Derrick. “A seed was planted. Now there has to be a discussion as to the pros and cons, how it would happen and what it might look like, as well as the legal process.”

Speaking to the meeting Derrick made the point the “we were promised development for our youth, we were promised a treatment as equals but we received nothing but crumbs if that. True to the tradition that sadly governed our region for far too long, we were the water carriers of countries much larger than ours, we were expected to deliver when they called and we were to succumb to the interests that were not and are not ours to this day.”

There is no doubt that the Caribbean has been increasingly marginalised by a politically aggressive CONCACAF that has removed its access to funding at all levels from development to competitions to grants for its administrative offices. CONCACAF receives money from sponsors and FIFA grants, that include the Caribbean, but very little of that is passed on and the prevailing CONCACAF view is that the Caribbean cannot be trusted to run it own affairs in the way that it wants. But what CONCACAF wants – a compliant and subservient Caribbean – is not what the Caribbean appears prepared to accept.

http://www.insideworldfootball.com/2017/01/23/caribbean-seeks-end-football-slavery-opens-talks-concacaf-breakaway/

Quote    Reply   

#11 [url]

Jan 23 17 11:42 PM

There are some really quite impressively Trumptastically false statements in that.

Even if the general narrative thread is accepted, it doesn't explain why the Caribbean has failed to dominate the committees etc when they have the most members and should easily be able to arrange a coup. By which I mean a general takeover rather than an individual Warneresque coup.

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

Jan 24 17 7:02 PM

nfm24 wrote:
There are some really quite impressively Trumptastically false statements in that.
Nothing's false anymore, just 'alternative facts'.

And in the spirit of recent expansions, CONCACAF have just gone down UEFA's route and grown their Champions League in a format which gives smaller clubs a smaller window to squeeze through to reach the main event. Caribbean club allocation is now up to 4, so on that front they have a better deal than before, just that 3 of them will have to navigate the 16-team qualifiers for a whole 1 spot in the Ro16.

So is this move going to strenghthen or weaken those rumours of a CFU cecession?

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Jan 24 17 9:39 PM

If the new format is much more financially successful, and the CFU members thus get more money, then (going by Mr Derrick's words above) we could expect them to be happier. Seems unlikely.

It's just quite amusing that his main problem is that CFU didn't get enough admin action in CONCACAF, and that there isn't enough funding to national associations. Both totally false. National FAs in the past couldn't afford an office, a fax machine, and often had to rely on donations for balls, shirts and boots. Nowadays each FIFA member FA can (in principle) access enough funding to build a giant gold Blatter statue every month. I mean how much money can they actually spend?

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Jan 25 17 7:57 PM

As it's the Caribbean, would it not be a Jack Warner statue? And didn't CONCACAF get their funds frozen for that whole 'corruption investigation' thing? Which would mean, in theory, that there's a grand total of $0 to be distributed for the duration of that freezing.

But it seems strange that they'd bite the hand that they're clearly feeding from in general, an independent CFU could in theory host their main tournament in the USA, but a bitten CONCACAF might make things more complicated on that whole 'chase the dollar' front...

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Jan 25 17 11:50 PM

I doubt that holding the CFU tournament in the USA would be anywhere near as financially successful as the Gold Cup, both in TV numbers and stadium attendances. Maybe holding it in London or Paris. Or Doha. But they'd just end up messing it up anyway.

Remember that the CFU is an organisation that doesn't even understand the rules of its own most prestigious tournament, and has regularly ballsed-up the simplest aspects of running a football competition by utter incompetence (not through lack of funding). It also has no clue how to inform its own members, let alone the public in general, about its activities and fixtures. It would be nice to see the CFU try a bit harder not to make such a terrible job of the absolute fundamental basics, before anybody takes them seriously. Perhaps Mr Derrick should work on that first.

It would also be nice to see a national FA try a bit harder not to be totally reliant on handouts, for a change.

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

Jan 26 17 8:32 PM

nfm24 wrote:
I doubt that holding the CFU tournament in the USA would be anywhere near as financially successful as the Gold Cup, both in TV numbers and stadium attendances.
I was thinking more in comparison with a CFU tournament held in, say, Jamaica. If they're doing it now they'd presumably want to try tapping the American market again in the future, CONCACAF members or not. Whether they'd get more stadium attendance in the USA or one of their own countries is debatable, but the latter definitely would have more of the 'local passion' that gives a regional tournament its identity, hosting it outside the region too often (doing it anyway is already pushing it) and it starts to dilute the value for the future.

And yes, national FA's should work to being more self-sustainable, it's understandable that the smaller federations may have to rely on the annual FIFA money to perform all their international trips and general running costs, but that doesn't mean they can't try and generate some of their own income.

Sell the sponsor rights to the league's golden boot award or something, invite clubs from the surrounding area (USA, Mexico, Venezuela, etc.) for some pre-season friendlies with their biggest local clubs, generating local interest through foreign visitors and all that. My only payment request for these brilliant and original ideas is for every Caribbean island to erect a giant gold statue of me every quarter (I'm not a monster smiley: wink).

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Jan 26 17 10:11 PM

mattsanger92 wrote:
it's understandable that the smaller federations may have to rely on the annual FIFA money to perform all their international trips and general running costs
Well there's an easy way to cut down on some of those expenses.  In any case I think such things should really be based on specific grants for purpose - e.g. at work if I go to a conference and want advance funding for it I would normally have to cost it up properly and show quotes etc, then receipts afterwards. Then I might get the money needed (but no more).

To some degree with operational extent of the association should scale with the population.  For example, there isn't much point in having  Turks and Caicos U17 U18 and U19 teams since the players will be the same.  There also isn't much point running, say, a women's national team with several coaching staff in a place which only has around 20 actual players to choose from.  

Things should be done with at least some semblance of sustainability.   One day the golden goose might stop laying.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help