Remove this ad

Lead

Apr 27 17 7:09 PM

Tags : :

So international tournaments are getting a bit like an Oprah audience... You get an expansion! You get an expansion! You get an expansion!

This one seems a bit much even for me, 2016's Centenario was supposed to be a one-off. I'm guessing unless they want to complicate things that the extra 4 spots will take it up to 6 invited teams, there are of course the usual suspects from North America that they can fall back on but also rumours that they might look to Europe for some of the old colonial masters etc to take part.
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Apr 28 17 9:36 AM

mattsanger92 wrote:
but also rumours that they might look to Europe for some of the old colonial masters etc to take part.
Seconding the "back to the origins" proposal, then they could invite also the main African territories the Afro-Brazilians come from (Angola and Congo, for example). It would be a way of not forgetting the past and highlighting the strong links between Africa and Brazil.

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Apr 29 17 3:15 PM

I think with the whole invitees concept they have precedent to invite pretty much anyone at this point - they had to decline but I'm not sure what ties China have to South America. Of course there are ones who make more sense than others (North America, Latin European nations, Africa, etc.) but it's clear that their primary motivator in this situation is $/€/¥/£ (on a football history basis England and Scotland could be plausible guests for their role in the early days)...

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Apr 29 17 5:39 PM

Hmm, I see you are envisioning it being something like the Brazil anniversary tournament in 1972.

As it is entirely about making money, they will only invite teams which add to the marketability.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#5 [url]

May 4 17 1:10 PM

or to take the opportunity to play every 4 years a real America cup in stead of two expanded separate competitions.....(or every two years if they think it is not enough...) the lowest ranked S.American teams can play qualifiyng matches with CONCACAF...  

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

May 5 17 7:48 AM

TheRoonBa wrote:
I was hoping for Guyana, Suriname, French Guiana, Easter Island, Falkland Islands and South Georgia.

Considering that Panama is cut by the Canal, also the Panamanians born in the South American zone might form a national team and get a wild card... icon_smile.gif

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help